Yamaha yht-1840 buying suggestion

Kirankj1724

Hi forum members,
I'm planning to buy a 5.1 home theatre setup. I'm looking within a budget of 30k.
I have done quite a bit of reading and realised that brands/systems like Phillips/LG/Sony are not the right one's to invest for the audio quality they offer.
For now, I'm thinking of the Yamaha YHT-1840.
Reason for considering this -
1. It fits well in my budget.
2. It comes with a passive subwoofer, so for now, if I'm not happy with the subwoofer performance, I can swap it with my 10 inch car sub that I have already. Also I always have the option of upgrading to active subwoofer in the future (not at least for an year).

So with the half technical knowledge that I gained in the past week, I'm still confused with certain things.
1. Is it worth the money being invested?
2. I read at multiple places which said the per channel wattage to be 35/70/100. I'm not sure which is the right information. The maximum upgrade to this system would be a active subwoofer and/or upgrade to better speaker packages like may be the Taga harmony series.
So considering the above, will the av receiver be able to support the upgrades?

TIA! :)

Welcome to the forum.
Let us start with how big is your room? 5.1 in smaller rooms can be overwhelming and can get tiring.
Stereo setup gets you very good results if you are not aching for surround sound.
You source (Bluray player, TV,Set top box,PC, Streamers) will play a significant role in deciding whether it is worth it or not.
Most programming is stereo mode when it comes to TV/STB, YouTube and others.
Stereo speakers to start with will get you better speakers than the Yamaha package. (recommended if budget is a issue) and future upgrades at your own pace is desired.
The receiver in the package is good enough to drive most HT speakers, And has enough inputs to plug everything. Supports 4k.
Has YPAO calibration, eases setting up 5.1 speakers.

Worth it is something only you can decide as an end user.

Hi @tuff ,
Thanks for your response!
The hall size is approximately 12 ft width X 14 ft length. The seating would be around 8-10 ft away from the source.
The source will be Videocon D2H HD-STB (HDMI), LG Smart TV with audio out (optical,HDMI ARC and headphone jack) and a generic bluetooth device (headphone jack).
I already own a 2.1 LG LH70 speaker system that I got free with the TV. The speakers sound decent but lack the punch.
The stereo setup would be great but I want to opt for a 5.1 system for the immersive experience it provides.

The issue is the HT model is available on amazon only and I'm not able to audition it before buying. I tried couple to reliance digital outlets and they do not have the yamaha model.

I'm thinking of the Yamaha YHT-1840.

Am not sure if this model is still around..

2. It comes with a passive subwoofer, so for now, if I'm not happy with the subwoofer performance, I can swap it with my 10 inch car sub that I have already.

Even if you swap 10/12 inch driver, the reqd power for it will be less from the AVR..

Also I always have the option of upgrading to active subwoofer in the future (not at least for an year).

Right.. That would be best upgrade..

I'm still confused with certain things. 1. Is it worth the money being invested?

For the budget of 30K, there isn't a better HTIB for the money.. If you can grab it, you can always upgrade..

2. I read at multiple places which said the per channel wattage to be 35/70/100. I'm not sure which is the right information.

Don't worry abt the speaker wattage.. If the AVR can powered the inefficient HTIB speakers (that come with it), it can easily power much better / efficient speakers..

The maximum upgrade to this system would be a active subwoofer and/or upgrade to better speaker packages like may be the Taga harmony series.

Ideally both would be good upgrade.. But subwoofer should be first & then speakers..

So considering the above, will the av receiver be able to support the upgrades?

Yes.. Keep the upgrade progressive..whenever you have a size-able budget, upgrade one by one..

The issue is the HT model is available on amazon only and I'm not able to audition it before buying. I tried couple to reliance digital outlets and they do not have the yamaha model.

Skip the audition & grab it online..

Hi All,
Placed the order for Yamaha YHT-1840 on amazon.in couple of days ago.
I might receive the delivery today or tomorrow. Now, I'm aware that I will not be having warranty from Yamaha India since this is a online purchase.
So I want to know if there are any "quick-checks" I should be doing once I receive the package from the amazon courier. BTW, the product is from a "prime seller".

Hi All,
Placed the order for Yamaha YHT-1840 on amazon.in couple of days ago.
I might receive the delivery today or tomorrow. Now, I'm aware that I will not be having warranty from Yamaha India since this is a online purchase.
So I want to know if there are any "quick-checks" I should be doing once I receive the package from the amazon courier. BTW, the product is from a "prime seller".
Congratulations. Make sure you have a decent power strip like belkin or similar before you plug it in. Most AVR's electronics are susceptible to power fluctuations so precaution is advised.
Connect speaker wires correctly (negative/ positive) correctly. Here is a video of unboxing so you should get a fair idea of what is included in it.

Congratulations. Make sure you have a decent power strip like belkin or similar before you plug it in. Most AVR's electronics are susceptible to power fluctuations so precaution is advised.
Connect speaker wires correctly (negative/ positive) correctly. Here is a video of unboxing so you should get a fair idea of what is included in it.

@tuff Thanks for the reply!
Is power strip enough or do I need a voltage stabiliser? I have a home UPS setup running and I haven't connected a voltage stabiliser even for the LG LED TV that I use.

Well, The delivery was done by Amazon yesterday in my absence and I'm disappointed to say this but, wrong/incorrect item was delivered. I spoke to the customer support. There was no replacement available and hence a refund has been initiated as of now.

Well, The delivery was done by Amazon yesterday in my absence and I'm disappointed to say this but, wrong/incorrect item was delivered. I spoke to the customer support. There was no replacement available and hence a refund has been initiated as of now.

Its really bad.:mad:
The one which is inside also not a new product it seems.
It clearly shows it is not incorrect product and it is purely intentional i beleive.

Its really very bad, I was eagerly waiting to hear the review from you! I can understand the disappointment. even i was planning to buy the same. Sick online Sellers.

Feels bad to see the unboxing video.

Please contact the authorized yamaha dealer in bangalore.
You should be able to buy it directly with yamaha warranty.
I am assuming this is your first HT from the post and better to get with warranty.

HT Store, JP Nagar
ProFx MG Road.

Thanks to all the replies and support guys!
It seems I have to go through a lot of hurdles in upcoming days. Here is the further updates :

The support team has initiated return/refund for the product. The amazon pickup agent was scheduled to visit before 1pm today.
Well, the agent arrived. Initially it was a male (in his mid 20's i believe), who picked up the package and gave a receipt of the same. At this point of time my mother was at home and she attended to him and took the receipt. My mother called me up and informed the same. Till here all was fine.

After about 10-15 minutes I receive a call from my mother again and this time, its the same pickup agent with another male (aged around 30-35) accompanying him. The agents refused to take the pickup because the box is not of "AMAZON" and the product is not "YAMAHA" and instead its "PHILIPS". The receipt issued by the agent was taken back and torn in front of my mother. I spoke to one of the agents, since my work place is 15-20 minutes away from home and asked him to wait till I reach the place.

After reaching the place (my home), the agent clearly told me that he could not do the pickup as the product is not right. I spoke to customer support team, again and again and again! I had to explain the issue/mess multiple times. I also shared the video to the support team via their support email. Meanwhile the pickup agents left.

So as of now, another pickup has been scheduled for tomorrow. This time the customer support team has promised that the pickup agent will be informed in prior about the issue of "INCORRECT PRODUCT DELIVERED", and the pickup agent will pickup the package regardless of the box/contents.

I only hope the issue/mess is sorted out and I get my refund back! I have been a frequent shopper with amazon. I'm a prime account holder. The product was ordered from a "PRIME SELLER"despite the fact that I was getting it cheaper from another seller with a difference of almost 3000 INR.

A lesson learnt is what I would believe! I'll keep the updates coming..

What is the name of the seller?

Sorry for you. That is pathetic. Please tell us which seller was that from. This is where physical retail come in play. You should reach a local dealer of a dealer near your State for purchase. Online deals look mouth watering but that is a perfect example of how they list low.

I apparently cannot see the listing from the seller now. He goes by the name 264

Screen Shot 2018-05-18 at 3.27.58 PM.png

Feels bad to see the unboxing video.

Please contact the authorized yamaha dealer in bangalore.
You should be able to buy it directly with yamaha warranty.
I am assuming this is your first HT from the post and better to get with warranty.

HT Store, JP Nagar
ProFx MG Road.

Yes. That's the way I should have ideally taken. Hope the issue is resolved soon and then may be I can visit the stores myself.

Its really very bad, I was eagerly waiting to hear the review from you! I can understand the disappointment. even i was planning to buy the same. Sick online Sellers.

This was gonna be my first HT setup. I was so excited when I got SMS from amazon - "package is out for delivery". Well all my weekend plans are gone for now. Utter disappointment.

Prime seller here is not responsible as it is Amazon who packs and send from their Warehouse. The guys working in warehouse play such games between seller and customers.

This is something I was not aware of. I assumed the seller has shipped wrong product intentionally.

Last edited:
Back