Yamaha yht-1840 buying suggestion

Very sad to hear this,
I have ordered lots of items through amazon, ebay and aliexpress too, i never face such situstions yet, i trust amazon fulfilled items..

Thanks to all the replies from the FMs here. :)
I finally got hold of two places where the stocks are available. First was an outlet by the name Jamsticks. I found the website online and sent out a query mail. They have the stocks but apparently no demo piece available. This was just a conversation over the phone, the store guy called me up and quoted a price of 30k. Not sure if it includes warranty, since as per Yamaha india website the warranty is valid only if purchased from Relaince store.
The second was an unplanned visit to the third reliance digital store where they had the stocks and also with the demo. Had a very nice experience with the demo given.

First, I want to describe the environment. It was open stall setup (unlike closed/glass rooms which I have visited in other reliance digital outlets). Too much noise/music from other sources like TVs, other sound sources, etc. Initially I was skeptical if I would be able to get a proper sound experience, but this doubt vanished the minute the HTiBs were put into action!

So, I had opportunity to take demo of 3 systems -

Yamaha YHT 1840 : Sounded amazing with the setup they had, inspite of fact that the "stall" was an open setup. A sony BD player was used. the satellite speakers were very clear with a nice balanced sound. The subwoofer had adequate bass too. Overall the experience I had was on par with the expectations I had. Quoted price - 31k including 1 year extended warranty from reliance digital.

Yamaha YHT 2910 : Now this is where it got tricky. The same sony BD player was used for source. It sounded much likely similar to the YHT 1840 setup. I'm aware that the specs are similar regarding the power output, but shouldn't the powered subwoofer in YHT 2910 be making some difference as compared to the passive subwoofer from the YHT 1840 package? Quoted price - 42k including 1 year extended warranty from reliance digital.

Sony BDV-N7200W : This is not even being considered. But since it was available for demo at that time, I went ahead to have the experience. Well, I was truly expecting a lot more for the price tag of 48k, but the sound quality was no where near the AVR setups I had demo of. The volume levels were very low too.

I unfortunately didn't carry my media along with me to test as it was a unplanned visit, and hence didn't place the order. Planning for a second visit over the weekend before I place the order.
I Will keep the updates coming! :)

Last edited:
shouldn't the powered subwoofer in YHT 2910 be making some difference as compared to the passive subwoofer from the YHT 1840 package?

Ideally it should.. But the active sub on the YHT 2910 model is also on the weak side (6.5 inch driver).. If you couldn't make the difference between passive Vs active sub-woofer, then chances are that they didn't set it up correctly..

When you upgrade to a powerful sub of 10/12 inch, you will feel the real difference..

Ideally it should.. But the active sub on the YHT 2910 model is also on the weak side (6.5 inch driver).. If you couldn't make the difference between passive Vs active sub-woofer, then chances are that they didn't set it up correctly..

When you upgrade to a powerful sub of 10/12 inch, you will feel the real difference..

Yes it might be the case. I'll double check the same on my final visit in the coming days.

Modern World (earlier Modern Radio House), they are official dealers of Onkyo in Bangalore, give them a call and check.

Thank you @rajiv_kulkarni
I'll try visit the place over the weekend.

To the FMs here, I happened to look up the specs of this Onkyo model in discussion. I noticed that it does not have a dedicated "sub woofer pre out".
Will that be an issue for future upgrades if I want to plug in a active subwoofer?

If you are on the way to spend anything near 50K it's better to go for entry level AV Receiver from Pioneer, Marantz etc or pre-owned one and entry-level 5.1 satalite subwoofer system from JBL, Taga etc. You will get better sound quality compare to HTIB, more inputs, resale value and flexibility to upgrade in future. By spending 10-12 K more you will have better options than conventional HTiB. Really don't want to divert your attention but weighing option equally will give you better Idea and value for money.

Thank you @rajiv_kulkarni
I'll try visit the place over the weekend.

To the FMs here, I happened to look up the specs of this Onkyo model in discussion. I noticed that it does not have a dedicated "sub woofer pre out".
Will that be an issue for future upgrades if I want to plug in a active subwoofer?

Yes its not have dedicated subwoofer out, but i had YHT 196 (old model of Yamaha YHT 1840 ) and ONKYO HTS-3500 in my brother's house, sound quality wise onkyo is far better than yamahas entry level HTiBs, my brother is still used Onkyo HTiB about 5years and very happy with its sound quality,

if you need to upgrade in future then better to buy any preowned AVR and speakers, subwoofer separately. you can get better sound quality too.

Thanks for the clarification @reachkalyan.kr :)

If you are on the way to spend anything near 50K it's better to go for entry level AV Receiver from Pioneer, Marantz etc or pre-owned one and entry-level 5.1 satalite subwoofer system from JBL, Taga etc. You will get better sound quality compare to HTIB, more inputs, resale value and flexibility to upgrade in future. By spending 10-12 K more you will have better options than conventional HTiB. Really don't want to divert your attention but weighing option equally will give you better Idea and value for money.

Yes its not have dedicated subwoofer out, but i had YHT 196 (old model of Yamaha YHT 1840 ) and ONKYO HTS-3500 in my brother's house, sound quality wise onkyo is far better than yamahas entry level HTiBs, my brother is still used Onkyo HTiB about 5years and very happy with its sound quality,

if you need to upgrade in future then better to buy any preowned AVR and speakers, subwoofer separately. you can get better sound quality too.

Thanks for your valuable inputs @rpmahale and @sunand777 :)

I would want to avoid the used AVR route.
How good will a combination of Pioneer VSX-330 + Taga harmony TAV-506 be? Will this be better than the YHT 1840 setup?
This option is going to increase my budget considerable and delay the purchase.

I want to build a decent HT setup. The definition of 'decent' is not yet aware to me and this will happen only if I'm able to experience the system for over a period of time. I have been reading from past couple of weeks before starting this thread, and after all the reading I have done, for a user like me who is building his first HT setup, I would like to start with the basic and plug-in/add the missing pieces in the future.
I consider YHT 1840 would be ideal me for now.
Why the YHT 1840? Well, its a HTiB, so I can basically start using it right out of the box. I would get a fair idea of what the HTiB is providing over a period of time (the quality of sound, the amount bass, etc). Since this would be a complete setup I wouldn't be impulsive on making upgrade decisions. I may or may not add/upgrade components based on my usage.
I'm still not sure if this is the right path to proceed on but I absolutely do not want to regret investing bigger money on things which I'm yet to discover.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back