Yamaha yht-1840 buying suggestion

Bros i want answer of one more question. Like yht 1840 doesnt support dd plus and we give it a source of bolby true hd or dd plus like airtel dth. Then what happens. Does amp decodes accordingly? I mean will the dolby surround be present there or not?
1840 supports DD+ and DTS HD

Bro u dint understand my question. I mean what happens when source is of latest technology. If source is dolby true hd and avr is only dolby.

Bro u dint understand my question. I mean what happens when source is of latest technology. If source is dolby true hd and avr is only dolby.
TRUEHD and DTS HD are backward compatible it means older AVR will only decode dolby and DTS from those signals and give you lossy output. they are not in any way Inferior though you would not get 7.1.

Hi FMs :)

Here is my short initial Impressions of the Yamaha YHT 1840 setup!

The installation was fairly easy. I took measurements of required lengths prior cutting of wires. Surprisingly, the wires provided in the package was of ample length. It still needs the wire casing to be installed.
The source is a linux laptop (with HDMI out), LG smart tv (with HDMI ARC support). I haven't meddled much with AVR settings except the levels for subwoofer are @ +2.5. Rest all are stock settings.

Firstly, I tried a few MP3s. The satellites sound amazing. The subwoofer is decent, its not going to give the thump effect if you are expecting out of it. I also tried a few FLAC files. There was some noticeable difference but not to a huge extent.
Next, I tried couple of bluray rips. The content are all 1080p and size is around 10GB. Now this is where the system shines. The immersive effect from the satellites was awesome for a first timer! Again the subwoofer lacks the punch but its covered up by the surround effects of the satellites.

Overall, what I take from my experiences now is, as a HTiB package, the YHT-1840 is great for movies and decent for music. The passive subwoofer is kind of weak-link. I'm strongly considering upgrade to an active subwoofer in the coming months. Considering the price of 31k INR, I think the YHT-1840 is VFM purchase :cool:

Finally, couple of pics ;)
PS : Please ignore the hanging cables. Its yet to be installed properly.

IMG-20180606-WA0007.jpgIMG-20180606-WA0008.jpgIMG-20180606-WA0009.jpg

It looks good though, hope the cloth is not covering the AVR when it is switched ON. Also for a passive sub-woofer the Crossover needs to be a little in the range of 100 or 120Hz(default) IMHO. You can consider an active Sub-woofer in months to come. My passive sub-woofer from YHT-196 is still sitting in the attic gathering dust. I thought of re-using the driver or converting the passive SUB to an active one by adding a plate AMP. Happy listening.

It looks good though, hope the cloth is not covering the AVR when it is switched ON. Also for a passive sub-woofer the Crossover needs to be a little in the range of 100 or 120Hz(default) IMHO. You can consider an active Sub-woofer in months to come. My passive sub-woofer from YHT-196 is still sitting in the attic gathering dust. I thought of re-using the driver or converting the passive SUB to an active one by adding a plate AMP. Happy listening.

Hi @rajiv_kulkarni :)

The cloth is just to avoid the dust from entering the AVR.
The current crossover in the AVR is set to 160 (default). Is this right?
Also, since you have the YHT-196, what would be the suggested subwoofers to look out for that would go well with YHT-1840 package?

I use a Pioneer S-51W, 8inch down firing SUB, decently priced. I guess TAGA is also an affordable brand, @elangoas is the brand ambassador for TAGA ;) (just kidding!) check with him for TAGA Options.

Thanks @rajiv_kulkarni :)
Sure I will get in touch with the FMs for the same. I'm yet to fix a budget for the subwoofer. As mentioned, I miss the thump, so I want to do a bit of reading before I plan for the purchase.
But before all this, I should probably enjoy the current setup first :p
Its been a very wonderful experience with HiFiVision and the great support from all the FMs here. :)

brother as yht 1840 has port for active sub so can we use both active and passive subs? or only one works at a time?

Bro whats the point of spending 10-15k on sub ? Shouldnt you have purchased yht 2910 then? M just asking.
Hi @Amansingh,
I had this thought before the purchase of YHT1840 too. But later decided against YHT2910. You see, the YHT2910 has only a 6.5inch active subwoofer. Which in my opinion would not make a lot of difference.
Investing the same 15k separately on an active subwoofer, can get you a lot of good subwoofer options is what I felt. Now, this investment will not be immediate. I will take a couple of months, but I'm pretty sure it will be a lot better than the active subwoofer in the YHT2910 package. So considering, the amount saved by not opting for YHT2910 and the fact that I have some more time to add a couple of more bucks, I think it's the right decision ;)

brother as yht 1840 has port for active sub so can we use both active and passive subs? or only one works at a time?
I'm not sure of this. It's something I've to try or may be the other FMs here can add their opinions.

Yes, adding a 10 or 12inch sub will make lot of difference for movie watching. It will be much better than yht-2910's active sub

Good one.. Haven't tried this, but guess both should work.. If you have an active sub in your set-up, then there wouldn't be a need to add passive sub in the set-up..

Hi @elangoas
Since we are discussing this topic of combination of active and passive subwoofer, I have a small query.
Does avoiding the usage of passive subwoofer help in putting less stress on the AVR? :rolleyes:

Back