Yet Another HTPC-advice Thread!

whay do you want to gor for used hardware ... anyway RAM used price for 8GB is high. HyerX you can get 8GB new for 25-2600 if I am not wrong. SMPS I would never go for a used one. Too much risk and SMPS is very very imp. FAN is OK

Coming to mobo both mobos are exactly same, but gigabyte has 2 legacy PCI slots, that might come in handy, I dont know depends on you. else choose any one, both same.

EDIT ::: Errrr I dont see HDMI in ASUS mobo, how you planning to assemble an HTPC without HDMI, thats one major aspect we need. Specially if in future you wanna purchase HTiB or AVR............ Go with Gigabyte.

these days i prefer used items for some categories because i've traded a lot in seconds-sales. never had a problem, and now usually prefer to buy used item(s) depending on use/purpose and also to make my 2 paisa worth effort to somewhere balance my personal use or wants and increasing e-waste. :eek:
so willing to take the risk.

the hyperX fury RAM new (8GB) is available for 2870/- on amazon. so yes, here i could get a new one. :D
PSU i'll check the local-price and then take a call. inclining towards the VX series as i read its better than the VS one.

the Asus mobo is the same one which you had suggested. may be will have to look for more options other than gigabyte as this the latter one supports memory module only upto 1600MHz.

the Asus mobo is the same one which you had suggested. may be will have to look for more options other than gigabyte as this the latter one supports memory module only upto 1600MHz.

lol ...eeeeep :eek::eek: I think I have to bite my tongue :eek::D .... must have missed it.. Apologies to you and all others as well.... well that does make a difference ....
I would go with gigabyte in this case, as HDMI is one imp component ...

@Venkat
if I can edit my original post I would like to make that amendment .....

BTW 1600 Mhz is much more than enough for HTPC no need for going for anything more. If you can save funds here on ram/mobo and divert it to get a better GPU like GTX 745, GTX 750, GTX 750 Ti, its much advisable, as with GTX 745 you will also gain full support for H.265 ....

No PQ/SQ difference between openELEC or windows based Kodi. If you are planning to usr your PC for other activities as well, apart from playing movies on it. Go with windows based Kodi. If its a dedicated HTPC, nothing can beat openELEC. BTW openELEC is much faster and less resource hungry than windows based (which is kinda obvious)

Have you tried the Linux version? Not OpenELEC, but Kodi also has a Linux version for PC as well as a 64-bit Kodibuntu version too.

I plan to install Kodi this weekend. Going to be a dedicated for HTPC PC so don't need Windows. Have a C2D that will be dedicated for it.

lol ...eeeeep :eek::eek: I think I have to bite my tongue :eek::D .... must have missed it.. Apologies to you and all others as well.... well that does make a difference ....
I would go with gigabyte in this case, as HDMI is one imp component ...

@Venkat
if I can edit my original post I would like to make that amendment .....

BTW 1600 Mhz is much more than enough for HTPC no need for going for anything more. If you can save funds here on ram/mobo and divert it to get a better GPU like GTX 745, GTX 750, GTX 750 Ti, its much advisable, as with GTX 745 you will also gain full support for H.265 ....

so then, should i go be going for a little more hefty PSU? esp. keeping in mind any future upgrades?

Have you tried the Linux version? Not OpenELEC, but Kodi also has a Linux version for PC as well as a 64-bit Kodibuntu version too.

I plan to install Kodi this weekend. Going to be a dedicated for HTPC PC so don't need Windows. Have a C2D that will be dedicated for it.

yes I have tried kodibuntu as well, kodiubuntu is only usefull if you wana switch out to an Ubuntu desktop and then use any Linux applications. Very similar to windows based kodi, except for ubuntu desktop users ....

So what you use depends on how/what you planning to use the HTPC primarily for ...:)

so then, should i go be going for a little more hefty PSU? esp. keeping in mind any future upgrades?

Go with at least 550W, better still 650W. Especially with a HTPC one adds more HDDs as time goes on as the movie collection increases.

For the GPU a lot depends on what you intend to use it for. If its only watching videos then even GT series will be great, get anything with HDMI that bitstreams HD audio.

If you plan to upscale video either to 1080P or 4K i.e. push more pixels then a GTX becomes necessary.

If you plan to use anything like SVP, madVR, NVIDIA DSR, etc. then a GTX card, otherwise for full HD and even 4K video with HDMI and audio passthrough , GT series offer excellent value at a budget.

I've a GTX 970 and a GT 730 and if I'm not doing any video conversion or upscaling then the PQ is the same with both cards. The GT costs like 1/4th or 1/5th of the GTX.

yes GT is good enough for BD ISOs and bit streaming. for 4K upscaling, madVR, and specially H.265 support start with min GTX745 ....

@Venkat [/B]if I can edit my original post I would like to make that amendment ....

Send me a personal message with the changes and I will make it in the post. Unfortunately I think there is a 1 hour time lock after which you cannot make any changes. Only Mods can.

Send me the exact changes to be made with post #.

Thanks

Send me a personal message with the changes and I will make it in the post. Unfortunately I think there is a 1 hour time lock after which you cannot make any changes. Only Mods can.

Send me the exact changes to be made with post #.

Thanks

Just need to change the mother board from Asus PH81M-CS to GA-H81M-S2PH v

Also the the lock in period of 1 hour for posts is too less. It should be atleast 24hrs. Min 12 if 24 is not possible. Can you pass on this request to super mod/admin

What about android based media players like Himedia Q5 which come with Kodi installed? This one sells for 14k on Amazon under the brand name Cubetek. It does 7.1 HD MA passthrough and 4k with USB 3.0 ports. Its successor Himedia Q5 Pro is due in April.

... and I exited media player business 5 years ago, last one I tried was POHD AC Ryan. Once I tried XBMC on HTPC, June 2011 there was simply no looking back.

Kodi (aka xbmc) on an HTPC is not just for the future proofing, or better
compatibility or no nonsence playback ... BUT its also about the interface, look n feel, Elite YAMJ feel, the library maintainence, and all other truck loads of "actual" serious features that one might require while dealing with an HTPC and their big movie/TV libraries.

Media players even of todays gen are kids in front of Kodi when it comes to how you manage your movie library and how good/elite/posh your library looks on your HTPC. Other wise a plain windows machine can play files stored on your NAS/external storage via VLC or MPC.

I will share a video of my Kodi with you (and all others as well) if you can find any media player that has as good/elite look and feel as you see with kodi, I will take my words back. Plus its not only beauty and no brains., Kodi also has the brains as well, with "worthy" features..... like as a small example, ability to download subtitles on the fly and that too from number of sources. (This is just one small example). Check out the video. Request is to take some time and see it full and notice the interface carefully for various segments I browse. And this is just 60% of customization I have done.
People have completely revolutionized the looks and feel with Kodi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx7aSs0tJTI

Coming to easy of use ....aaaa dont even start me on this. Ok so a layman can also operate a media player, its that easy, how about old people who might not even know where to switch it on, or how to navigate to the folders/locations that have your movie/TV collection. Or any other small/big change they might want while movie is playing.

With kodi you can configure your HTPC for complete remote access, including remote switching it on and off. All you will ask others to do is to switch on the TV, and maximum change the input to HDMI where HTPC is connected. (I wish kodi starts to support HDMI CEC, that would eliminate even this step, TV will auto switch to desired input) You then take over the control of kodi from your tab or web browser from anywhere across the world. YOu will switch on the HTPC, control the navigation of your library, ask them what movie they wanna see, and play that movie right from your current location. Change brightness/contrast etc ...almost everything basic kodi aspect remotely. You can also direct your HTPC to switch off when the movie is completed ....... hows that for ease of access.

HTPC with kodi wins hands down in comparison to any media player and is miles ahead in terms of almost every aspect of Movie watching experience one can have ....Period!

Regards
Sammy

What about android based media players like Himedia Q5 which come with Kodi installed? This one sells for 14k on Amazon under the brand name Cubetek. It does 7.1 HD MA passthrough and 4k with USB 3.0 ports. Its successor Himedia Q5 Pro is due in April.

Android is good, handles all formats. Only problem is they don't get updated. Will be stuck in Android 4, 5, etc. But then again most Android smartphones too don't get updated.

MK809V or MXQ are excellent options (AliExpress), around $30. Will even run Kodi. As media players come they are excellent value and cheap.

Higher up the chain and more license restrictive regions you can go with Apple TV, Roku, etc. Android based media players are more popular in developing countries, especially with the associated lower costs.

They are good performance-wise. I have used a few and by and large was satisfied with them. You have to look at the feature set. If you are happy with the feature set, just buy one.

The only drawback with them is lack of upgrade opportunity. They often support most "known formats". But the world we are living in there is a new format every couple of years. In case of a new format they may or may not be able to handle the new format.

Consider them like phones. You don't buy a phone to use for 10-20 years. A phone is for 2-3-4 years. Same with media players. If you don't mind upgrading every 3-4 years or so they are good option. But on second thoughts, even an HTPC needs some upgrade every couple of years. So there is no escaping some kind of upgrade.

One advice, if you take the media player route, stay with a middle-of-the-road model. The ones with the latest and greatest are not cheap. But the ones in running production are dirt cheap. Easily cheap enough to be justified as a disposable purchase.

Eben Upton said there will be an official port of Android for the Raspberry Pi 3.

Hopefully, it will get updated too like Raspbian.

That would make the Raspberry Pi 3 and future models like 4, 5, etc. the media player of choice, especially if the official ports keep pace with Android development.

Android has grown into a heavy duty OS. Unless they really trim it down it will not be as efficient as XBMC etc. Also, from a media player point of view Android doesn't have much to offer above Kodi.

I think most media player manufacturers excepting a few such as Dune, Popcorn, WD etc, have taken on too much. In a mad scramble for market share, they are bringing out new models much like what is happening in the smartphone market. The products are unstable and have very short life. The Extremer is being cursed left right and center by users though the specs look very attractive. The WD may not have much specs, but it is stable and work wonderfully for playing local media. Popcorn has become too expensive, and they seem to be trying to become the choice for videophiles and audiophiles.

You build a eco system around your product (media player), and then you suddenly realize, the product is dead. It is very disconcerting to look for something new, and rebuild you eco system.

A media player is at best a secondary system. What must it do?

1. Be stable
2. Play most video files without issues
3. Play most music files without issues
4. Be able to read from external drives and pen drives
5. Be easy to operate and use

Given these requirements, something like a PI 3 with Openelec or OSMC seems to be a good option. It is as close as you get to an HTPC under some 75$. Unless misused, should last you for some 4 or 5 years. You can play all your media, use networking, surf the Net, watch online shows.... What else do you need. Properly set up it can even handle HD Audio if you want to work through an AVR. The only thing you may not get is 4K.

Today an PI3 works with smartphone as a remote. In addition some cute keyboards and mice are available.

With over 8 million pieces sold, MS is not going to ignore it and will port the Windows 10 sometime or the other. Once that happens, or when you get an Android, it become even more powerful.

Just a loud thinking to justify my switching over to the PI ecosystem for whole home audio and video.

Cheers

Android has grown into a heavy duty OS. Unless they really trim it down it will not be as efficient as XBMC etc. Also, from a media player point of view Android doesn't have much to offer above Kodi.

Hopefully the Pi version will be slimmed down.

But Android is not without its benefits, especially considering the app ecosystem.

Converting the Pi into a router/repeater took some doing, even with guides. With Android getting it into Wi-Fi hotspot mode is inbuilt. Before that it was with an app and easily done too.

The Pi wins because of its huge ecosystem and user base. Getting Android into the mix only furthers this for the Pi community. Pretty much any functionality becomes a possibility with installing an app.

Coming to the h/w requirements, yes that's always true. But with the right h/w like an NVIDIA Shield Android TV also is an excellent media player. And its a lot more open than Apple TV, not to mention powerful in terms of h/w.

The advantage with Android TV is everybody gets a media player starting for as little as $30. I saw the MXQ and it costs $30 and it does everything right out of the box. A lot more flexible and easier than Apple TV, Roku, and even Kodi, and you just cannot argue with the price.

.....With over 8 million pieces sold, MS is not going to ignore it and will port the Windows 10 sometime or the other.
Cheers

Windows10 IOT Core ( a lean Win 10 version for Internet of things development) is already available for RPI2. yet to experiment with it and Not sure how capable it is from audio/ video perspective.

Windows10 IOT Core ( a lean Win 10 version for Internet of things development) is already available for RPI2. yet to experiment with it and Not sure how capable it is from audio/ video perspective.

Its not the actual OS. Its for developers, basically for creating apps and hardware. Adafruit has created an entire ecosystem for it, but its not for us simple media/audiophile folks.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back