Yet Another HTPC-advice Thread!

Hello everyone!

finally, after quite some time, have come to a position to realise my desire of having an HTPC as well as the time to enjoy using & fiddling with it! although there's still 1-2 months' or so time before i have one fully set up, but thought to rather start reading, inviting suggestions, get components one-by-one from wherever i find them. still going through some old HTPC and related threads here and some webpages.

i'll give a rundown of what all i have, what would i require, functionalities needed.

functionalities needed:

- full hd movie playback with 5.1 support; BRD playback too
- a lot of 'youtubing'!
- light gaming (old games or/and indie games)
- music playback
- p2p downloads, although not regularly
- media server capabalities, and a lot of installing of wares for that purpose and then some others.

i have:

presently a panasonic 50VT20D to which this HTPC would output video-playback, and a pair of floorstanders (connected to an amp and presently playing music via a squeezebox classic) for music-playback. and am using a Himedia HD900B for movie-playback currently. plan to get an HTiB or something later.

i require:

an AV rack! (good idea to keep the cabinet horizontally on the rack?!)

am also very open to buying used items from members on the forum if they are still relevant for use today. i trust members of esp. this forum to keep their equipment in good order.

so please pour in some suggestions.

TIA!

P.S. - am on the verge of getting an SSD from a member of another tech-forum. for rest of the components, need your suggestions.

Cant a normal Laptop/desktop with HDMI out act as a HTPC?

Sorry if I am starting again from the beginning. I am also planning to buy/assemble a HTPC and have loads of doubts.

The HDMI port in normal Laptop or Desktop has capable of handling 1080P and 5.1 HD sound?

Sorry if I am starting again from the beginning. I am also planning to buy/assemble a HTPC and have loads of doubts.

The HDMI port in normal Laptop or Desktop has capable of handling 1080P and 5.1 HD sound?

i believe a desktop would give you more flexibility (and upgradeability - that's crucial in my personal opinion), processing & display power, unless ofc you've one of those gaming laptops. plus a desktop would perform better under load (like transcoding, etc). and if buying a new laptop, for the same price-point, you could assemble a powerful desktop for an HTPC.

Yes but that would not be called an HTPC per se, rather a PC connected to a display, that you also use to watch movies. whether a laptop will be able to handle 1080p and 5.1 HD Audio will depend on the GPU class the laptop has ....

Last edited:
Yes but that would not be called an HTPC per se, rather a PC connected to a display, that you also use to watch movies. whether a laptop will be able to handle 1080p and 5.1 HD Audio will depend on the GPU class the laptop has ....

Do you have any idea on price that Laptop which handles 1080P and 5.1 audio? Will that support DTS HDMA and DOLBY Truhd as well?

My requirement is
1. Watching 1080P (downloaded content mostly rips) with 5.1 Dolby or DTS that includes HD sound
2. Gaming
3. Normal MS office use

I would be very thankful if you could suggest me a good set up. On googling, I always lands on AMD A6 6400K processor and Intel i3(GPU not included). I find using intel processor takes me to a higher budget. I have a very restricted budget as much as low (say 20-25K).

If I get a HTPC, my set would be HTPC-->AVR-->TV

@asaldharan - you'll have to discard the option of a laptop for your requirements & at your stated budget (probably unless you are wiling to buy a used one; even then tough). however, you can assemble a good HTPC fulfilling all your wants & needs (as explained by sam9s on the first page). am myself acquiring components from here & there (3 of which I have with me now - an SSD, a GPU, a motherboard. processor, RAM, PSU, cabinet, HDD remain), and the 'project' would get completed at around the 35k mark.

Last edited:

Even an Android TV Box/Stick can do that. Will be cheaper on the wallet (less than 5K) and easy on the eyes too for the living room.

A HTPC is more for future proofing, the ability to decode all codecs, have inbuilt storage, and also a little bit more headroom for upscaling and transporting. The future proofing though seems to be getting lost with every new generation of HDMI.

For simple plug and play, an Android stick or a Raspberry Pi will be right up your alley in terms of your requirements. The Raspberry Pi more so for downloading torrents and watching them on the same device.

Do you have any idea on price that Laptop which handles 1080P and 5.1 audio? Will that support DTS HDMA and DOLBY Truhd as well?

My requirement is
1. Watching 1080P (downloaded content mostly rips) with 5.1 Dolby or DTS that includes HD sound
2. Gaming
3. Normal MS office use

I would be very thankful if you could suggest me a good set up. On googling, I always lands on AMD A6 6400K processor and Intel i3(GPU not included). I find using intel processor takes me to a higher budget. I have a very restricted budget as much as low (say 20-25K).

If I get a HTPC, my set would be HTPC-->AVR-->TV

All you need a good GPU, for desktop you can opt for AMD as well, if budget is of concern and get a decent GPU like GT630. OR opt for used one. A C2D used one with compatible mobo and 2GB RAM can come as low as 5K. Laptop with a decent GPU will be tough under 20K. Let me look, or else if you have any Laptop in mind under 20K, share here and we shall see what are the specifications ...
Let me also point that for any current gen decent gaming GT630 will not cut it, so if gaming (not 2D small games) is your priority then consider getting a better GPU.

All you need a good GPU, for desktop you can opt for AMD as well, if budget is of concern and get a decent GPU like GT630. OR opt for used one. A C2D used one with compatible mobo and 2GB RAM can come as low as 5K. Laptop with a decent GPU will be tough under 20K. Let me look, or else if you have any Laptop in mind under 20K, share here and we shall see what are the specifications ...
Let me also point that for any current gen decent gaming GT630 will not cut it, so if gaming (not 2D small games) is your priority then consider getting a better GPU.

Thanks Sam.

I am no way want laptop under 20K, I know its not possible for gaming and video. I just wanted to know Laptop (say for example one that dedicated for gaming, may be priced above 50K) can use as a HTPC.

For desktop, I am inclined towards Intel processor(obviously no specific reason but afraid of AMD). AFAIK, AMD processor have in-built GPU at lower price and the same from intel is 3 times more.

And also I assume that, only one HDMI(without Optical or coaxial output) out is enough for HTPC.

Which Intel processor would be good and the associated components (Motherboard, GPU, RAM etc.,)

I will start a new thread once I decided on components to get a guidance from experienced folks here.

Well a Laptop for 50K I am sure will have a GPU that can easily handle 1080p and 5.1 HD Audio and yes it can be used as HTPC, but basicaly why would one spend 50K on a hardware and you it as HTPC. You will use it as a normal PC whch can also be used for movie watching, that is how I will put it .... :)

One HDMI is more then enough for any HTPC. You arenot going to do multi monitor gaming are you ... :)

Any Intel processor will do bro. If you can manage to get ....a second gen i3 is a great start. If you want me to provide specific details, then give me your max budget and I shall list the components. I think I did share components details with price on this thread only ..... search this thread .. :)

Well a Laptop for 50K I am sure will have a GPU that can easily handle 1080p and 5.1 HD Audio and yes it can be used as HTPC, but basicaly why would one spend 50K on a hardware and you it as HTPC. You will use it as a normal PC whch can also be used for movie watching, that is how I will put it .... :)

One HDMI is more then enough for any HTPC. You arenot going to do multi monitor gaming are you ... :)

Any Intel processor will do bro. If you can manage to get ....a second gen i3 is a great start. If you want me to provide specific details, then give me your max budget and I shall list the components. I think I did share components details with price on this thread only ..... search this thread .. :)

Yes. please sam.

Actually I am a kind of guy who looks for cheap and best (normal human tendency) Would 35K budget is enough?

How about AMD processor. Is it reliable and future proof? Never experienced that. But here in Tamilnadu, govt has provided Free laptops with AMD processor. I felt that was good but not had much research or play.

Can you share the spec details for both intel and AMD processor? I know I am torturing you a lot but I am a rookie on hardware.

When I contacted theitdepot.com, they quoted me as below

Corsair VS Series VS450 450W High Performance Power Supply (CP-9020049-WW) - 2359.00
Corsair Carbide Series Air 240 High Airflow MicroATX and Mini-ITX PC Case - Black - 7115.00
LG 24x Sata Internal DVD Writer - 990.00
Western Digital Blue 2TB SATA Hard Drive (WD20EZRZ) - 5720.00
AMD A10 Series A10-7850K 3.7GHz Processor - 12130.00
Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Desktop Memory (CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10) - 3000.00
MSI A88XM-E35 V2 32GB DDR3 AMD Motherboard - 4905.00

TOTAL 36219.00

Yes. please sam.

Actually I am a kind of guy who looks for cheap and best (normal human tendency) Would 35K budget is enough?

How about AMD processor. Is it reliable and future proof? Never experienced that. But here in Tamilnadu, govt has provided Free laptops with AMD processor. I felt that was good but not had much research or play.

Can you share the spec details for both intel and AMD processor? I know I am torturing you a lot but I am a rookie on hardware.

When I contacted theitdepot.com, they quoted me as below

Corsair VS Series VS450 450W High Performance Power Supply (CP-9020049-WW) - 2359.00
Corsair Carbide Series Air 240 High Airflow MicroATX and Mini-ITX PC Case - Black - 7115.00
LG 24x Sata Internal DVD Writer - 990.00
Western Digital Blue 2TB SATA Hard Drive (WD20EZRZ) - 5720.00
AMD A10 Series A10-7850K 3.7GHz Processor - 12130.00
Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Desktop Memory (CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10) - 3000.00
MSI A88XM-E35 V2 32GB DDR3 AMD Motherboard - 4905.00

TOTAL 36219.00

na this is super over kill for an HTPC more over where is the GPU and yes a BD Drive is also recommended for playing Blurays..... I will share the same config that I shared on this thread ...

GA-H81M-S2PH OR GA-B85M-DS3H 5000-6000
Intel 3 GHz LGA 1150 G-3220 Dual Core 4300
Zotac GT630 4000
wd green 1TB 4000
Corsair*DDR3*4*GB(1*x*4GB) 1650
PSU Corsair VS450 2500
SSD 32 GB for OS sandisk 2500

total ------------------> 24900

I will probably replace GT630 with GTX 750 Ti for better gaming and full H.265 support ... add 4-5K more so final price becomes around 28K. These are mostly online prices, so when you actually go to a dealer you will still save couple of Ks more .....

na this is super over kill for an HTPC more over where is the GPU and yes a BD Drive is also recommended for playing Blurays..... I will share the same config that I shared on this thread ...

GA-H81M-S2PH OR GA-B85M-DS3H 5000-6000
Intel 3 GHz LGA 1150 G-3220 Dual Core 4300
Zotac GT630 4000
wd green 1TB 4000
Corsair*DDR3*4*GB(1*x*4GB) 1650
PSU Corsair VS450 2500
SSD 32 GB for OS sandisk 2500

total ------------------> 24900

I will probably replace GT630 with GTX 750 Ti for better gaming and full H.265 support ... add 4-5K more so final price becomes around 28K. These are mostly online prices, so when you actually go to a dealer you will still save couple of Ks more .....

Thanks Sam.
I assume the AMD has integrated GPU. BTW, How about going for Intel i3 4150 (LGA 1150) or Intel Core i5-4460 Processor 6M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz (BX80646I54460). These both has Integrated GPU and price more than yours.
Also, I am not sure what are the other components i have to change for this processor. I am currently having pentium dual core only so dont want to settle with the same processor again.

@sam9s - small suggestion, if I may. intel 3250, at negligible price-difference, would be slightly better than 3220.

Yes seeker ,, I agree, the components I share are usually just a reference point,(as per the end user needs) and the end user can choose something up or down in the same league ...that is the objective ...:):)

Thanks Sam.
I assume the AMD has integrated GPU. BTW, How about going for Intel i3 4150 (LGA 1150) or Intel Core i5-4460 Processor 6M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz (BX80646I54460). These both has Integrated GPU and price more than yours.
Also, I am not sure what are the other components i have to change for this processor. I am currently having pentium dual core only so dont want to settle with the same processor again.

Yes bother both CPU will do ..... but I would request, rather beg ... not to purchase these high-end CPUs just for HTPC sake, they are overkill you would be underutilizing them, it would be a waste of money and resource. Get these CPUs if you would also use the PC for other CPU intensive tasks, along with using it to watch movies ...... Hope this makes sense ....:)

BTW Integrated graphics are not AMD specific thing, Intel is providing Integrated gfx since the days of clarkdale, i.e first gen Core ix processors debuting in 2010 .. :)

Last edited:
Yes bother both CPU will do ..... but I would request, rather beg ... not to purchase these high-end CPUs just for HTPC sake, they are overkill you would be underutilizing them, it would be a waste of money and resource. Get these CPUs if you would also use the PC for other CPU intensive tasks, along with using it to watch movies ...... Hope this makes sense ....:)

BTW Integrated graphics are not AMD specific thing, Intel is providing Integrated gfx since the days of clarkdale, i.e first gen Core ix processors debuting in 2010 .. :)

Thanks Sam. Accepting your point:)

Back