YHT196 + TAGA speakers experience

Naveenbnc

Hey Guys, i was using Yamaha YHT196 for the last few months and it was absolutely awesome package for the price. Home theater effect for movies is superb for that price.

I taught of adding an active sub. That will add some good bass, and the AVR can boost more power to satelites. But The catch is, listening to 2.0 sterio with the front speakers of YHT196 is just crap !!! It is no better than listening from an old radio.

So i taught of upgrading front speakers instead of an active sub. Our seniors suggested a step by step upgrade starting from the fronts. Even today I would say that is the right approach.

When I searched for front speakers, i noticed the Taga Harmony 5.0 package at a dead cheap price. Strictly due to budget constraints, and a tempting price tag, i bought TAGA HARMONY TAV606 SE for Rs30500, from HIFIMART. Super packaging, and superfast delivery!!!

I know my YHY196 avr is only 100W with only one channel driven!!! I was always doutful if it can drive this speaker set.

I connected the front towers and center channel, and left the surrounds of YHT196 in position.

When i switched on....the first thing i noticed is a large improvement is sound stage. 2.0 sterio is also awesome, and so much detailed. I would not have got it just by adding an active sub. Movie experience is fantastic for that price !! I cranked a little more than medium volume. It is still good for my 11x20 room. AVR is getting heated up, but not too much.

I may sell my YHT196 and get a better AVR later. But for now, I am fully satisfied. I could have bought good BS or towers for around 30k and use them along with YHT center and surrounds. That will also do the job, but I felt like trying the taga5.0 set.

You cannot compare this speaker set with expensive towers or bookshelves, but for the price range of 25to30k, taga5.0 is surely a VFM !!!

Thanks
Naveen

Thanks for the review Naveen. I was planning to get the TAGA Harmony 606 v3, but i was bit doubtful about the performance when it comes to music. But this review threw some lights. I am not an audiophile. I dont go so much into details. The requirement was the songs should be clear and enjoyable and after your review, i feel Taga meet my requirement good enough :)

Hi...

It depends a lot on the type of files you are playing. With MP3 songs, the taga speakers are ok, but with FLAC files, they sounded much better. However, do not compare them with expensive tower speakers. They are value for money. I would say these speakers are more suitable for action movies. They are powerful. For music, bookshelves are better.

Thanks
Naveen

Last edited:
Hey Guys, i was using Yamaha YHT196 for the last few months and it was absolutely awesome package for the price. Home theater effect for movies is superb for that price.

I taught of adding an active sub. That will add some good bass, and the AVR can boost more power to satelites. But The catch is, listening to 2.0 sterio with the front speakers of YHT196 is just crap !!! It is no better than listening from an old radio.

So i taught of upgrading front speakers instead of an active sub. Our seniors suggested a step by step upgrade starting from the fronts. Even today I would say that is the right approach.

When I searched for front speakers, i noticed the Taga Harmony 5.0 package at a dead cheap price. Strictly due to budget constraints, and a tempting price tag, i bought TAGA HARMONY TAV606 SE for Rs30500, from HIFIMART. Super packaging, and superfast delivery!!!

I know my YHY196 avr is only 100W with only one channel driven!!! I was always doutful if it can drive this speaker set.

I connected the front towers and center channel, and left the surrounds of YHT196 in position.

When i switched on....the first thing i noticed is a large improvement is sound stage. 2.0 sterio is also awesome, and so much detailed. I would not have got it just by adding an active sub. Movie experience is fantastic for that price !! I cranked a little more than medium volume. It is still good for my 11x20 room. AVR is getting heated up, but not too much.

I may sell my YHT196 and get a better AVR later. But for now, I am fully satisfied. I could have bought good BS or towers for around 30k and use them along with YHT center and surrounds. That will also do the job, but I felt like trying the taga5.0 set.

You cannot compare this speaker set with expensive towers or bookshelves, but for the price range of 25to30k, taga5.0 is surely a VFM !!!

Thanks
Naveen

Good going... Enjoy :)

Thanks for the review Naveen. I was planning to get the TAGA Harmony 606 v3, but i was bit doubtful about the performance when it comes to music. But this review threw some lights. I am not an audiophile. I dont go so much into details. The requirement was the songs should be clear and enjoyable and after your review, i feel Taga meet my requirement good enough :)[/QU

Taga works damn good for music also! try hook it with stereo amp and give a try! it will blow u away!:clapping::yahoo:

Hi Arjuraj....

Thanks for the idea bro... i really really want to try a sterio amp !!! Not sure which one is good to pair with taga. Have you tried this bro? Which sterio amp u used ??

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back