1 TB or 1.5 TB 3.5 inch HDD - Group Buy

viveknath

Dear All,

Just starting this thread, based on interest shown by few members on purchasing a 1 TB or 1.5TB internal HDD as a group buy and get some decent discount from dealer. Would be a good compliment to the AC Ryan POHD group buy program, that we managed to wrap up :)

Looks like group-buy scheme will be the new mass marriages :rolleyes::eek:hyeah:

Regards,
Vivek Nath

I think we should look for a lower speed ( 5400 rpm) HDD. This will run cooler quieter ,consume less energy and lead to less hanging problems ( a problem frequently seen on POHD with large capacity fast drives ). Also contrary to popular belief, this speed should be more than enough even for the biggest hi def files . Something like a WD Caviar Green. Plus,I've heard good things abut WD service.

I am also of same opinion with Whatzisnem. WD-Green (5400 rpm) HDD is good and I am presently having one WD-Green of 650 GB in my PC. I may be interested for one more, but group buy by persons from different regions may not be that remunerative for a HDD due to it's not so high cost. Any way I will follow the thread.

Bought 1 TB Western Digital Caviar Green Sata Disk (64MB cache) for Rs 3500 in SP Road, KC computers. Seagate 1 Tb was available for Rs 3000. This was for my PC and not my media player. I am not keen on storing movies in my media player, rather plan to setup a NAS box in couple of months.

For now I am also getting 2 TB External hard disk (Western Digital Elements) from the US for around 99$. Wow that is cheap, cheaper than the 2TB internal harddisk which is around 110$. At the end of this year I am sure we should be able to get both at around 75$ range.

Guys, please check the storage forum on tech enclave. Its littered by the horror stories of 1.5tb and 2tb drives with very high failure rates fom both the companies and wd green is particularly notorious for this. Western digital is currently having horrible stories about their service on those forums so please be careful before you buy. Oh, and I am not affiliated to any of the these companies:)

Edit: The general consensus there seems to be that 1tb drives are the most reliable ones as of now.

No..

Dont take WD green unless you guys are taking it from a local dealer. Dont go online purchase unless the dealer will honour the warranty himself for the 3years. dealing with WD direct is pain in the ass.

I have given a WD 1 TB green to my local dealer and send a WD Mybook 1 TB to WDDirect the next day on my own cost last month. got the Green one in around 2 weeks i think.. the mybook is still no show.

and my advice stick to seagate 7200.12 ones. atleast the RMA is through accel frontline. and most cities do have one office. so even if online purchase its ok.

WD service is getting pathetic nowadays..

Better yet get the 2 TB ones.. since the 1 TB are already dirt cheap.. :S..

@doors..

yea i am also from Tech enclave and yea i been posting my status there also.. :S WD india service is not so good.
and no its the 1 TB's that have the most hit rates.. dunno where u got the 1.5and 2 Tb's. where there ones??... didnt saw. :/

Last edited:
Most of the prices of mediahome is costlier than the local vendors( I am in chennai comparing the Ritchie street prices with company warranty)....:sad:

@srini...

chil out.. wait till he update the prices.

Yes once we know from which dealer and how much is his offer, we can move forward. Seagate 1.5TB 3.5" seems to be smooth though! Well i have not yet researched but sharing information that i did see it sometime back. Since 2TB and higher capacity may have problems (as i specified in POHD groupbuy thread earlier), so need to check on it too. Any folks aware of?!! We can then stick to either 1TB or 1.5TB.

Any one got any dealer in mind to go with?

Ofcourse all agree that, what will be the "discount" offered is the ultimate word to jump on the wagon to buy!! :eek:hyeah:

Last month i bought 2TB WD EARS ( 64MB/5200rpm) for Rs.6750 in chennai with bill and warranty for 3 years...

I am interested for another 2TB:)

Might make sense to specify whether the requirement is for external/internal drives. I need an internal for my NAS. Samsung 1.5 TB prices in the US are now under $70, but 2TB prices arent falling much as yet.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back