100 Hz CRT v 100 Hz LCD - What's the difference

Sumain

Hi All,

I own a 100 Hz CRT TV - the SONY DRC-MF DR29M97, of which I am very proud.

I have been looking at LCD/Plasma TVs recently.

I seems that Sony now has a 100Hz LCD - the 40W450A.

Is 100Hz on the LCD the same as 100Hz on the CRT? If not, what is the difference.

I have been disappointed with the PQ on most LCD / Plasma TVs playing regular TV channels as compared with the smooth and non-jerky picture on my Sony DRC CRT TV.

Will the 100Hz feature on the 40W450A finally give me a great picture from all sources, including regular TV? We spend a lot of time watching regular cable TV and also run some movies on the DVD player.

I want my next TV investment to be future proof - at least for some time.

Cheers

Sumain
Noida

Hi,

Unless you have a tearing need to move to LCD/Plasma/HMDI, I suggest that you have one of the best TVs already!

Compare colors, fast-action motion and see for yourself; I dont think the the Sony W is equivalent to your CRT.

Cheers,
PbR

Hi All,

I own a 100 Hz CRT TV - the SONY DRC-MF DR29M97, of which I am very proud.

I have been looking at LCD/Plasma TVs recently.

I seems that Sony now has a 100Hz LCD - the 40W450A.

Is 100Hz on the LCD the same as 100Hz on the CRT? If not, what is the difference.

I have been disappointed with the PQ on most LCD / Plasma TVs playing regular TV channels as compared with the smooth and non-jerky picture on my Sony DRC CRT TV.

Will the 100Hz feature on the 40W450A finally give me a great picture from all sources, including regular TV? We spend a lot of time watching regular cable TV and also run some movies on the DVD player.

I want my next TV investment to be future proof - at least for some time.

Cheers

Sumain
Noida

well 100hz in crts was introduced to decrease flickering,and ur 29inch is one of the best 29inch crt produced it was even better then DZ series which was the last 100hz sony crt in india.ur sony has a DRC MF circuitry ,a similar but a much improved better version is found in lcds such as X series and other sony lcds with bravia pro.

now in lcds the 100hz is designed for a different purpose as sony names them as motionflow its designed to give a more fluidity in video a typical sony 60hz lcd has a motion resolution of around 320lines where as the a 100hz sony lcd tv such as 40W450A has a resolution of 600lines,only the sony Z series and X series manage a full 1080lines of motion resolution,the Z series has 200hz motion flow where as the X series despite having 100hz motion thanks to its improved image processing makes it achieve full 1080lines of resolution.

so out of all the 2008 plasmas and lcds only some pioneer kuro plasma such 500 and 600 series and sony Z,X series ,samsung series 9lcd are able achieve a full 1080lines of motion resolution.
and samsung lcd such as 650A series which also are 100hz achieve 580 lines of motion resolution a bit short of sony 100hz lcds such as W450A series.

The two are completely different.

In CRTs, the Hz refers to the speed with which the electron gun scans the display. A CRT generates a picture by scanning the display with a beam starting from the top left corner to the bottom right corner. The number of times a scan is done in a second is called a 'Vertical Scan Rate' or 'Vertical Refresh Rate'. When CRTs were introduced initially, these scan rates were controlled by the frequency of the alternating current used to power the CRTs. So all CRTs manufactured in the US will have a scan rate of 60Hz and CRTs manufactured in Europe will have a scan rate of 50Hz. Since the original film based material is 24 frames per second, the European TV standards called PAL is more soothing to the eye as it is closer to a multiple of 24fps.

In a CRT, the image is redrawn with every scan in the form of fields. Two fields are interlaced together to form an image. A CRT is a analogue device.

LCD and Plasmas work in a different way. Since they are digital, they can display a full image much like what is done by a movie projector. This is called progressive scanning. This image stays on the screen till it is instructed to draw a new image. LCDs/Plasmas also have a backlight that is used with various intensities to display the image that is displayed on the pixels that form the screen. Thus, here the Hz refers to the number of times the blacklight 'flickers' on and off with changing opacity. This is also called response time.

When you evaluate a LCD/Plasmas, you must use different yardsticks for judging them. These include pixel resolution, connectivity, number of colors the screen can display and so on.

Cheers

LCD and Plasmas work in a different way. Since they are digital, they can display a full image much like what is done by a movie projector. This is called progressive scanning. This image stays on the screen till it is instructed to draw a new image. LCDs/Plasmas also have a backlight that is used with various intensities to display the image that is displayed on the pixels that form the screen. Thus, here the Hz refers to the number of times the blacklight 'flickers' on and off with changing opacity. This is also called response time.

When you evaluate a LCD/Plasmas, you must use different yardsticks for judging them. These include pixel resolution, connectivity, number of colors the screen can display and so on.

Cheers

well not entirely correct,while backlight of lcd do flicker ,its flickers so fast our human eye cant notice and secondly its not the backlight that controls the light on to off but its the liquid crystals that controls the amount of light .
offcourse there is the new active led backlight lcds that vary the light but thats for a different purpose to get that deeps blacks that no flat panel display can match except oled.
about the 100hz well its kind a hard to explain the actual working of it wihout illustration with pictures so here are a article 1rst LCD at 100 Hz: the end of afterglow (page 1: Test of the 1rst LCD at 100 Hz) - BeHardware

BTW the article explains about 1st generation 100hz, todays motion flow tech from sony is so advanced that it also reduces the input lag.

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back