2.1 Stereo setup - relocating from Australia

RetinalNV

Hi all,

I will be availing the Transfer of Residence (TOR) facility returning to India.

Initially my main interest is for a quality 2.1 audio setup, paired with a budget amplifier and allowing bluetooth/CD source as well as traditional sources.

It's meant to be a gift to my parents for their retirement home in the countryside...but it will see some use from the rest of us too.

Budget around 50-60k.

Listening tastes :
Parents - Hindustani classical, Karnatic music, Rock (60's) and instrumental
Kids - House, Rock, Ambient etc

My preference is for low deep bass, not necessarily loud output or bright/sharp treble. Initially I was looking at bookshelf speakers like Wharfedale 10.2 or Diamond 220

Alternatively to the bookshelf, I'm open to your suggestion to build a better audio setup long term by investing in floor standing speakers that can potentially lead into a decent HT setup in the future. But primary focus is stereo.

Coming to the Australian market, it's not at all competitive to the US, however sometimes there's deals to be had. So it could be buying a stereo amplifier locally and speakers in India or vice versa.

Example :
  • INR 68900 : Indian retail price : Pioneer VSX-1131-B(NEW!)
  • INR 48000 : Landed cost for new item from australia - inclusive of duty (15% + shipping costs)

Whereas looking at the WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 230 FLOORSTANDING SPEAKERS (PAIR) :
INR 43200 : Indian retail price
INR 87000 : Landed cost for new item from australia - inclusive of duty (15% + shipping costs)

As you can see there's no standard trend in pricing.

Here are some online retailers :

Looking forward to brainstorming with you guys on some sonic soundness!

p.s. Feel free to confuse by adding a projector HT setup suggestion to the mix where I will have to sell my kidney to finance the entire thing :lol:

if you are considering the system for family, it would be better to build an Ht which would enjoyed by the whole family

if you are considering the system for family, it would be better to build an Ht which would enjoyed by the whole family

Thanks - makes sense. What I'm hoping to build is in their country/retirement home - the entire family wouldn't be living there and it maybe 2 weeks on 2 weeks off or 6 months on/off. Hence want to start with audio/quality stereo for now.

Forgot to mention - current setup in India at primary home is :
  • Panasonic 42x20 (I think - it's the plasma from few years ago)
  • Onkyo HT-3300
  • Blu-ray (cant remember which)
  • Replaced OEM speaker wiring with better quality thicker gauge wires

Offtopic - I brought an LG HTIB from Australia in 2005, which I got for dirt cheap price from JB Hifi during a sale (Thanksgiving ? ) It was worth the price and was the first HT in my life. Carried it along with my baggage and customs didnt bother to ask me for duty. It lasted several years and I sold it off to someone later. I think he is still using it.
The good thing with Australian electronics is that its 230V and do not need any stepdown transformer in India, but options are very limited.

Offtopic - I brought an LG HTIB from Australia in 2005, which I got for dirt cheap price from JB Hifi during a sale (Thanksgiving ? ) It was worth the price and was the first HT in my life. Carried it along with my baggage and customs didnt bother to ask me for duty. It lasted several years and I sold it off to someone later. I think he is still using it.
The good thing with Australian electronics is that its 230V and do not need any stepdown transformer in India, but options are very limited.

Thanks. Did you unpack it or was it in original packaging? For basic/entry stuff I prefer to buy something locally in India - I'd like to pickup some specific components where the difference is significant or availability limited in India. I know these days the gap has reduced and theres lots of options locally - hence my post here for opinions.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back