220v to 110v step down transformer, bangalore/chennai

MX (MDR) Electronics has a good range of step-down transformers including toroidal ones.

Friends,

I went through the threads about the converters. i need to connect a Brother tailoring machine. Can someone please let me know what are the pros and cons of using isolation versus non-isolation converters?

I saw someone mention a chennai number for converters with isolation, can some one please give a number in Bangalore?

Thanks
Sun

If you use an isolated transformer and there is a leak on the machine you will not get a shock. If it is not isolated ( like an auto transformer) there is a possibility of getting a shock if the machine is not properly earthed. However if the machine is properly earthed and your power earth is in good condition then even an uninsulated transformer is OK.
But it's obvious that the isolated one is preferable , especially when using it with a sewing machine !

@Fantastic, Thanks.

Sewing machine has come with only two pin plug. Do you happened to know how earthing will work?

There is usually no earthing necessary for such appliances as the case is mostly made of plastic and completely sealed from the electrical parts. Even if the supply wire happens to break and touch the casing, you won't get an electric shock. Hence ground wire is avoided. You can save money and go for a regular transformer unless you have heavy power fluctuations at home.

It's a sewing machine. You always touch metal parts like the needle attachments and other parts. I have a sewing machine and I can see what all gets touched.
I'd still recommend an isolation transformer and a two pin plug will be OK.

If you really want to earth it then you will have to attach a wire to the metal body of the machine and connect it to the large Earth pin on your 3 pin plug.
Else just use an isolation transformer and use it as it is.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back