46" LCD Sony Wseries Vs Samsung 7 Series

maddy_kumar_p

Am very jinxed....

I plan for a 46" LCD (edge lit LED - A Big NO).....

My Budget is 1.1L max... and my choices currently are....

1. Sony W series 46" Wseries 46W550A
2. Samsung - 7 series 46" - LA46B750 ( hope its in my budget.... if not will go for the 6 series)

Till yesterday was hellbent on Sony.... but... Sammy is sorta highly feature rich.... and DLNA and USB video streaming ( 500GB HDD (NTFS Formated) form MKV to DivX formats),is heavily tilting the balance..

Guys ...can someone help me sort this out.... wot sort of video formats does the W series support.... and does.. connecting the HDD work??

well as u have already done ur homework,the samsung is indeed feature rich.
it also has 200hz.
both are excellent buys,but good luck finding the series 7 lcd.the sony Z550A is the true rival to compete with series 7.
the sonys can only play mpeg 1 videos,i think it also supports mpeg2 ,no idea about how big of a HDD it supports,if u happen to buy in the grey market u may find sony models starting with KDL vs the official ones which start from KLV.
the KDL supports DLNA.

Mr. Adder... thanks....

On the Grey market front... i had my share of woes on my sony projector some 2 years bck... so planing not to do that... jus to be safe...

200hz or 100 not my concern... as i'll using 90% with my Airtel DTH... so it wont matter i guess (am i right???)

Even.. this DLNA feature... think i'll play arnd it for the first month... then woosh no one will ....bother abt it....

But.. i have a huge collection of HD rips... on my PC..... and watching those... MKVs in the LCD.... will be really gr8 .....

SO if... W - series is definitely .... not supporting MKVs (as u say...the manual also says that it supports only mpeg...) .... then Samsung it is ... i guess... Then is it that difficult to get a 7series LCD..... hopefully not in Chennai....

200hz or 100 not my concern... as i'll using 90% with my Airtel DTH... so it wont matter i guess (am i right???)
200 Hz in LCD in certainly more desirable than 100 Hz...it virtually eliminates all the judders which still remain in 100 Hz LCD (but 200Hz has debatable cost factor add-on to it). I suggest have a look at Sony Z550A series to notice the PQ difference.

Then is it that difficult to get a 7series LCD..... hopefully not in Chennai....
I have been searching SAM 750 for over a month without success...Good luck to you finding in Chennai.

After .... umpteen visits to samsung and other showroom..... infer that... 7 series 46" samsung LCD has not been distributed to dealers yet... mainly to promote LED.... wot a load of crap!!!..:mad:. looks like this is similar to Maruthi Ritz and swift tactics....

So Sony W series 46" will be it... will get it by this weekend for sure....

Thanks....

If its nots too much an effort for you then definately also have a demo of the LG LH90 (LED with local dimming), its got amazing reviews and a 47" should cost you approx 75K.

Just take a look at LG lh90(42 or 47) ,a very good LDC with LED baclit and Very good performing LCD.But lot of posts complaining of No stock. Just check it out...

After .... umpteen visits to samsung and other showroom..... infer that... 7 series 46" samsung LCD has not been distributed to dealers yet... mainly to promote LED.... wot a load of crap!!!..:mad:. looks like this is similar to Maruthi Ritz and swift tactics....

So Sony W series 46" will be it... will get it by this weekend for sure....

Thanks....

well being in chennai u can also purchase them in the grey market,most grey dealers in the south source it from chennai.it may be around 10k cheaper.

the LG LH90 is also good scores in VFM.but good luck finding it.

You can also demo Panny V10 (plasma) which is a 50" and very highly recommended. The last heard price was appx 1.25K, should have come down by now.

Guys guys... this is a revelation of sorts.....two days back... i paid the advance ....for W series (46")... but guess.. what .. the 7 series is available in the Samsung Outlet now....( 3 days waiting period)...

Wont be a problem in getting back the advance.... we are pretty regular at that Sony World.... but ofcourse they'll have some grudge....

This is a relief... was planning for a Western Digital HD box (something which converts ur movies from USB to ur TV all format including .MKV) Since Sony does not support these formats.... this wld have been another investment for abt 7.5k and was doubtful abt the quality too... So this wont be necessary..... in case of samsung...

On ..LG... models as suggested by ppl here..... IMO all these 1L plus TVs the prime reason is to show off... performance ..and stuff comes secondary i guess... and Sony serves this purpose to the dot... with its huge brand value.... if not better samsung comes close seconds.....

On Panasonic... ppl ... i've already lost abt 3-4 months on deciding between... sony and sammy.... wont wanna start another research program again.... thing is ..nothing much avail in terms of information... apart from forums like these... showroom ppl are ... believe me... are dumber than me...

So its gonna be Samsung LCD 7 series 46"..... forgot to tell u one more shocker...the DLNA part... samsung TV are only DLNA enabled.... ie you need a separate dongle ...to use DLNA... wot a crapy technology... Idea of using my Omnia HD with the TV goes in drain now... Ppl correct me if am wrong here....

This is a relief... was planning for a Western Digital HD box (something which converts ur movies from USB to ur TV all format including .MKV) Since Sony does not support these formats.... this wld have been another investment for abt 7.5k and was doubtful abt the quality too... So this wont be necessary..... in case of samsung...

Hi,

The USB ports of Samsung does play .mkv files but does not O/P DTS audio, if DTS is not your prime requirements, this option would be fine. But IMO "SOUND IS 50% OF A MOVIE" (stated by George Lucas), so you would definitely need to buy an external media player to get the full HT effect.

cheers

+1 more point,

The DLNA technology is the only major difference, I guess is there between series 7 and series 6, for which you end up paying 25k-30k more. And again pay extra for the DLNA dongle, so if going for Samsung, it would be better to go for Series 6 and add and external HD media player later for about 10K max. So you get DTS audio (Including HD audio) and your DLNA features.

cheers.

Thanking you all for ur valuable points...

Jus booked my Samsung 7 series 46" LCD - for 1.17L.... expected delivery on Monday... :)

One more thing.... any thing to loook out for b4 delivery..?? suggestions if any?

Aneelr - major diff bet the 6 and 7 series is the 200Hz processor.... other all cosmetic.... tot..will settle for the best...

Once again thanking you all...

Congrats! :clapping:
Do let us know your experience with the service and the product. Enjoy.

By the way, how much was series 6 for?

Last edited:
Thanking you all for ur valuable points...

Jus booked my Samsung 7 series 46" LCD - for 1.17L.... expected delivery on Monday... :)

One more thing.... any thing to loook out for b4 delivery..?? suggestions if any?

Aneelr - major diff bet the 6 and 7 series is the 200Hz processor.... other all cosmetic.... tot..will settle for the best...

Once again thanking you all...

congrats:clapping::clapping::clapping: and ENJOY!!!!!

God... U are a lucky man Maddy! I was one of the first ones possibly to wish for the TV(June 2009) but u r one of the first ones to get it.
Congrats mate!

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back