5.1 Speaker system vs HTiB

Natholimean

Dear All,

I just bought a 42 inch tv (LG) and want to enhance the sound effects. I do not want to play blue ray or DVD, but just want to hear the TV sound in a better way.

I am very much new to the audio setup and also not planning to buy a high end system. I can spend 10-15K INR.

My first basic question is do i really need a home theatre system or just a 5.1 speaker system will help? What is the difference between these if I do not need a DVD/Blueray player?

Cheap models like F&D f5090 (F&D F5090 | 5.1 Home Theater Speakers | Multimedia Speakers) gives clear and lound sound? Do they have built in AV receivers ?

Sony/Philips etc brands have 5.1 speaker system for 10-12K and HTiB for around 20K. Is the DVD/Blueray player is the only difference ?

Regards

If you have a strict budget of 15k then you are limited to what are colloquially called computer/multimedia speakers

The F&D one you have mentioned - and all multimedia speakers - are active speakers. Meaning they have inbuilt amplifiers and do not need an external amplifier. All such speakers will give loud sound in smallish rooms. In bigger rooms they will not sound as good. Clear sound is subjective I guess

The Fenda F5090 is definitely very stylish looking
But 5.1 systems leave wires trailing around the house unless you are ready to go in for proper wiring

Maybe you should consider a simpler 2.1 system instead
Boston SoundWareXS Digital Cinema Bluetooth Speaker Black

Boston Acoustics is a dedicated speaker company owned by Denon/Marantz and they make much bigger expensive systems. This particular unit has an optical in - so you can transmit audio digitally into this unit.
Plus it supports bluetooth, so when you want to, you can play music off your phone

It can be setup like this something like this
2139-SoundWareXS-Digital-Cinema-.jpg

The Boston will definitely sound much better than F&D - and you can move it to the bedroom later if you upgrade to more serious sound systems later

Thanks a lot for the clarification.

After lot of browsing on this subject, I decided to increase my budget to around 25-30K. That is my maximum.

I am planning to put in the living room which is of 21x11 feet size.

Any suggestion for a decent home theatre in this price range ? I am not in a position to go beyond 30K.

You can check on entry level HTIB's of yamaha, onkyo in your budget. Or if you can increase your budget at later stage, you can go with 2.1 now and then increase it to 5.1 when you have the budget. Our HIFIMart also have some listed.

Even if you buy a 5.1 speaker,you need a 5.1 sound to make it sound really 5.1. For the same price quality of 2.1 is better than 5.1. With your budget you can get Yamaha 196 and with 5k more Yamaha 299,which is well recommended in this forum.

if you decide not to play bluray or Dvd, then I am not sure, if you will get enough content in 5.1 audio mode to explore.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back