A cheap multiregion Blu-ray player...

will the Philips blue ray player BDP 2600 play digital hd files through usb post . I am asking this because blue ray discs are expensive to buy every time but hd movies we can download it , get it from friends etc.

Buy an hd media player instead of blu-ray player if your primary use is to watch downloaded contents. Blu-ray players may not play all type of files and some players support only FAT partitions.

I would like to request you to check one more thing, please...
Try to play any Bluray disc with DTS-HDMA audio and verify if your AVR detects it appropriately without down-converting it to DTS Core.
As members claim it supports DTS-HDMA fully, so it should !!

Hi technobatt,
Played avatar BD with DTS-HDMA and my AVR detected it properly. Mine is a 3200KB

Buy an hd media player instead of blu-ray player if your primary use is to watch downloaded contents. Blu-ray players may not play all type of files and some players support only FAT partitions.

hi

I brought one for 3k. s p road Bangalore .

I have a stepdoen transformer which I use for my AVR.
Just wanted opinion on if it is worth going in for this BD player

What is the price of this model? If you have stepdown transformer then there is no need to worry.

It looks that price dropped-65.37 only,
Info says it supports DTS-MA.

Hi technobatt,
Played avatar BD with DTS-HDMA and my AVR detected it properly. Mine is a 3200KB

the page 6 of the manual (KB model) says "DTS-HD Master Audio Essential". however KE model does not seem to talk about DTS-HDMA in their spec.

Just wanted to add an information here.

DTS-HD Master Audio Essential basically means that it supports DTS-HD Master Audio but does not support the lesser known audio formats like DTS 96/24, ES, ES Matrix, and Neo 6.
However this current format has backwards compatibility and will play these formats (dropped ones) to basic DTS 5.1.

So, these model will for sure play the lossless audio codec without any issues.

To bring down the licensing costs for different codecs DTS has come out with this format. A good move indeed!!
Next in follow-up would be Dolby???

Got my BDX3200 today.

Initial impression:

Build Quality is poor.Old Onida DVDp has better built than this.Remote is also like some china make.BDp is made in china as expected.

Picture Quality-
Not the best.I find my HTPC is doing much better job.I can see some artifacts.I need to further adjust though.Lot of Picture settings available.

Sound Qulity-
Bitstreaming is perfect.a bit better than HTPC.
Stereo analog is a boon.Its not that bad at all.I liked the clean output & separations in instruments.Vocals distinct & well separated.Soundstage little wide but not big.Some may feel little bright,but with Tannoy perfect.
Bass is the department where its not good.Else better.

Overall-
Disc loading is fast.USB working perfectly.AAC is also decoded well.Some issues with mkv.Need to check it.Tried a cut sample of DTSMA,which was sent as DTS to AVR when played from USB.

Thanks to HFV friends for sharing their thoughts before I purchased.

Hi Sourivious,

Congrats on your purchase, please do share your experience once you have used it for some time...

Are you still going to be using your HTPC for movies of only use this bdp for playing blue ray and DVD discs, and connect your hard drive / usb stick to the Toshiba BD player and only use this one for discs as well as downloaded content?

Do you think it can replace our HTPCs? The reason i am asking is my HTPC is lying on the floor and making the room look messy so either i need to spend some more money to make my htpc look smaller so that it can fit in my TV unit's shelf/ drawer or go the Multimedia player or BD player route .. but most of my content is going to be downloaded stuff :)

Regards,
Naren

Got my BDX3200 today.

Initial impression:

Build Quality is poor.Old Onida DVDp has better built than this.Remote is also like some china make.BDp is made in china as expected.

Picture Quality-
Not the best.I find my HTPC is doing much better job.I can see some artifacts.I need to further adjust though.Lot of Picture settings available.

Sound Qulity-
Bitstreaming is perfect.a bit better than HTPC.
Stereo analog is a boon.Its not that bad at all.I liked the clean output & separations in instruments.Vocals distinct & well separated.Soundstage little wide but not big.Some may feel little bright,but with Tannoy perfect.

Overall-
Disc loading is fast.USB working perfectly.AAC is also decoded well.Some issues with mkv.Need to check it.Tried a cut sample of DTSMA,which was sent as DTS to AVR when played from USB.

Thanks to HFV friends for sharing their thoughts before I purchased.

Thanks Narendra,I needed a disc player for fast access & as replacement to old DVDp.I confirmed with some FM that it reads HDD upto 2TB.So it can be used as mediaplayer also.
HTPC is still better option as video quality is much better.Even upscaling.For audio,HTPC should be configed correctly,else SQ can degrade.HTPC can play much more formats than most of BDps.Some of the entry level BDps like from Sony has perhaps better picture quality.In that case you can use regionfree BDs.So think accordingly.

Spiro - Where did you get it from? Amazon.co.uk does not have this KB version anymore.

@spiro,

When you say HTPC is doing a better job, what is the graphics card with the HTPC? As I understand, a top of the line GC will be capable of 4K resolution and hence always be better than a retail level BDP.

But you are saying "artifacts". What kind of artifacts?

As you know, I recently made my Panasonic BDP region free. I do not see artifacts but I cannot claim to be videophile to your level. :)

@spiro,

When you say HTPC is doing a better job, what is the graphics card with the HTPC? As I understand, a top of the line GC will be capable of 4K resolution and hence always be better than a retail level BDP.

But you are saying "artifacts". What kind of artifacts?

As you know, I recently made my Panasonic BDP region free. I do not see artifacts but I cannot claim to be videophile to your level. :)

I have HD5570 with latest drivers.Now I can see motion blur with moving objects which I dont find in HTPC.I even turned off 24f mode.Still I can see a bit issue.Resolution kept around 1080p.
Now even when object is steady,sharpness increases too much(sometimes edgy).If I turn it down,with moving objects it blurs.

@Kneo- I booked it in August last week when few were available.Now new models can be seen.

I have HD5570 with latest drivers.Now I can see motion blur with moving objects which I dont find in HTPC.I even turned off 24f mode.Still I can see a bit issue.Resolution kept around 1080p.
Now even when object is steady,sharpness increases too much(sometimes edgy).If I turn it down,with moving objects it blurs.

@Kneo- I booked it in August last week when few were available.Now new models can be seen.

Which BD u have used so that u got motion blur bro.??? I have used it to play many BDs and I havent noticed any motion blur.. Me too not a videophile, may be thats the rason I havent found any artifact in video... :)

Got my BDX3200 today.

Sound Qulity-

Hi spiro

Try out the coaxial out. I use it for CD playback to my yamaha 571 and the sound quality is very good.

Thanks

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back