A compact easy to make TL speaker

Sumanta

Life wants more, so things need to be compact in a limited space.

I wanted to make a compact speaker with enough bass but distinct mid. My most importance in sound lies in life like mid. One of my friend FM Hari Iyer introduced a Peerless driver which has almost flat mid frequency reproduction capability in a tiny 3 inch cone, 3.5 inch driver.

I conceptualized a three fold compact pipe based speaker design that can have a line length of 28 inch yet actual height of just 14 inch. It still has driver space of 5 inch too.

A demo version made out of PVC pipe, thermocol and card board proves my design will work.

I then used 6mm mdf board for my required pieces, cut them from a wood molding shop.

I cut the PVC pipe by self. I secured those mdf plates with mseal. Later, I came to know that one can use a quick adhesive called Vetra as a most effective sealant and adhesive.

Here are some photos of those two speakers. The box you see in front of them is actually an active cross over, but this is used to show how a compact amplifier with UB and FM connection can look like.

IMG_20160302_080235.jpg

IMG_20160302_080249.jpg

IMG_20160302_080310.jpg

I will add a drawing of internal later. that will explain how this can easily be made at home.

The sound has free mid and has good control depth till around 100 Hz. By my ear and if the SPL curve is true, I think high does not go much beyond 12 ~ 13K Hz. I am fine with it considering the intent of its use and the simplicity of its construction.

My FIL did the painting. I will add a driver cover with Black cloth later. That will bring more finesse to the product.
The total expense I think has not crossed 2000 INR yet. Drivers cost me 1300 INR for the pair.

I will be happy to help others who wants to make one such.

I have maintained approximately 1.25 X cone surface area. Link to the driver detail is here Products - PeerlessAudio.com. surface cone area is not available here, I have taken the same from a similar driver, probably from diyaudiocart site.

Below is the sketch for your help.
I would really love to have your suggestion on making it better. Anyone trying this and giving me feedback will be wonderful!

IMG_20160304_113252.jpg

Happy listening.

Note: the box you see in front is actually of an active crossover (gift from a friend). I made the cabinet with 6mm mdf and Vetra adhesive only. This is just to show how will it look like as a complete system with one small amplifier capable to take USB flash drives and will have FM receiver. Infact the amplifier will be even smaller than this. This means one can have such a compact system with wonderful sound, for not so much money. I will update you all about the amplifier if my friend agrees to make one for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent build can you please share live sound performance in youtube

Good idea. I will try.

They look like talking mail boxes.

:) that's because of the colour. another friend said the same. I will eventually (if I make any more) get rid of the square baseplate. instead it will have a round base with the port hidden in that. at present the port is on top of the base plate.

Here is link to a small video for a feel of it. I am not sure how good lower end of spectrum can be experienced in reality respect, but is always better than none.

Sumanta - compact Transmission line speaker

I have lost the sketch that I made for this speaker. So, give me some time to make another one, you all can then use it for your make.
It is easy really to make one, all you have to do is get those mdf cut from a wood molding shop.

Last edited:
Here is link to a small video for a feel of it. I am not sure how good lower end of spectrum can be experienced in reality respect, but is always better than none.

Sumanta - compact Transmission line speaker

I have lost the sketch that I made for this speaker. So, give me some time to make another one, you all can then use it for your make.
It is easy really to make one, all you have to do is get those mdf cut from a wood molding shop.

Hey it looks great and sounds too great, would love to see the sketch

I wanted to attach the sketch in the opening post, but I can not edit it again. Can anybody guide me how to do that please!

Really cool......the more important is the sound. Could u pls describe the sound like when playing heavy beats.....

Really cool......the more important is the sound. Could u pls describe the sound like when playing heavy beats.....

They are tight. I am not good in expressing sound impression in words.
Since the driver is of a mere 3.5 inch size, I say it holds its ground.

Comparing to big drivers, say of 8inch or more, it sounds thin in mid, less impressive in lows. But as a complete sound impression they bring reality in entertainment.

You will be definitely surprised if you haven't heard these drivers yet in any form.

I am thinking of giving it a name.

It is already there by some of you, so let's carry it forward, let's call it

"Postbox"

.....not bad.

That looks nice and should go very well with the Tymphany drivers 3" :clapping:

It should. if the drivers are capable to pull it through. Derive your dimensions accordingly and make one.

I am planning a visit this weekend if time permits for a listen. Will also carry my micro-TL for a compare. After all Sumanta stays quite close to my home too.:)

I have been told that this driver is connected directly to the amplifier with no compensation network. While my speaker uses heavy compensation for phase coherence. Will also get an idea of any added benefits. Looking at the sketch Sumanta's speaker uses the classic TL loading with longer but thinner line. I use a shorter but thicker line. I do not know how much stuffing is used in Sumanta's box though.

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back