Amp Camp Amps completed

Subbu68

I completed my two ACA kits and put them into service. Move aside Elekit TU-8200. For me they seem wonderful in bridged mono mode driving my Klipsch Heresy IIIs. A lot more clarity.

I had expected my daughter with super sensitive ears to scream when I played music but Klipsch seem to be tame with these amps. No horn shout or fatigue.

Set them up on my rack and rewired the system. CDP + Tape + DAC > Elekit TU8500 preamp > 2 x ACA Bridged Mono > Klipsch Heresy IIIs is the chain.

ACAs Final.jpg

Now @rajan- had asked me how ACAs performed when used with Elekit TU 8500 preamp. I had to compare with something. Since there is no volume control, CDP could not be connected direct to ACAs. So used the headphone out of CDP to connect to ACAs with the HP level control acting as volume control. Played the same song (Lucky Ali - Tere Mere Sath mein hotha hai) in both setups and did a crude measurement of the spectrum on my mobile app SPL meter. See below screenshots.

The same song played in both cases for nearly the same time at about the same average level and SPL meter set to measure the spectrum for the same time in both cases. NOTE THE PEAK LEVELS recorded for each Octave. This app indicates the peak hold. My thinking is the peak measured for the same song playing at about the same level over the same time period should give an indication of the system performance.

It is not calibrated or a much sophisticated measurement so please take it only as a rough guidance to the performance. If there is a more accurate but economical way of measurement please advice.

ACA TEST.jpg
With Elekit TU-8500 driving the ACAs you may note the whole spectrum is a couple of dB roughly lower (Y axis major divisions could be seen on zooming in) the direct from CDP.

For the ears direct from CDP seemed a bit more clear but also a little sharp. Through the preamp it was sweeter and relaxed. Imaging is neck to neck but Elekit has an edge.

Hope this helps.

Although I have zero experience with Elekit power amp, I have read that in different modes, it can sound very differently.
triode mode = less power (compared to other modes)
Pentode mode = more dynamic sound,
Ultra Linear mode is kind a best of both

and top of it, various tube selection.

which mode are you running ?

a famous reviewer even said, that "The TU-8200 is the best-sounding amplifier I've heard short of a McIntosh MC240"

its also worth noting that a pair of ACA cost less than a single Elekit :)

the elekit pre-amp, does it uses op amps for the gain stage ?
If yes, there are lots of choices to make it sound better.

Congratulations on your KIT DIY build's successful completion.

Units will change for the better as you put hours of use on them.

Have fun.

Two of my very closest audio friends in the USA each built that same ACA amp for themselves, in 2020.

Jeff

Last edited:
Although I have zero experience with Elekit power amp, I have read that in different modes, it can sound very differently.
triode mode = less power (compared to other modes)
Pentode mode = more dynamic sound,
Ultra Linear mode is kind a best of both

and top of it, various tube selection.

which mode are you running ?

a famous reviewer even said, that "The TU-8200 is the best-sounding amplifier I've heard short of a McIntosh MC240"

its also worth noting that a pair of ACA cost less than a single Elekit :)

the elekit pre-amp, does it uses op amps for the gain stage ?
If yes, there are lots of choices to make it sound better.
TU 8200 is now on Ultra linear mode. A jumper inside has to be moved to change. Cover has to be removed to do it.

Tube rolling is easy peasy. Just plug them in. Now I have KT 88 on it. It takes 6L6GC, 6CA7, EL 34, KT 66 - 90 and equivalents.

Yes, a pair of ACA is cheaper than Elekit amp. Now Elekit is a revised version.

I am thinking of a "amp selector switch" for the pre-amp out so I can run any of the amp. Have an old band switch from a valve radio (why didn't I preserve those radios?😡)a 4 pole 3 way. Using two ways of it and spare RCA cables directly soldered.

In TU 8500, it is only a 12AU7. Has 1.15 and 3.15 gain selection. Op amp is for phono.

PM me your email id. Could send the manuals for Elekit

May be you can drill out a hole on the top cover to change the jumpers without taking the cover off. I believe thats a common mod for elekits.

If I am going for a tube amp, I have my eyes set on a GM70.
I have heard a Lyrita GM70 a while back, and I liked what I heard. It was also paired with some horns and klipsch RP-600.. . User is not on the forum.

but not anytime soon.

I completed my two ACA kits and put them into service. Move aside Elekit TU-8200. For me they seem wonderful in bridged mono mode driving my Klipsch Heresy IIIs. A lot more clarity.

I had expected my daughter with super sensitive ears to scream when I played music but Klipsch seem to be tame with these amps. No horn shout or fatigue.

Set them up on my rack and rewired the system. CDP + Tape + DAC > Elekit TU8500 preamp > 2 x ACA Bridged Mono > Klipsch Heresy IIIs is the chain.

View attachment 69257

Now @rajan- had asked me how ACAs performed when used with Elekit TU 8500 preamp. I had to compare with something. Since there is no volume control, CDP could not be connected direct to ACAs. So used the headphone out of CDP to connect to ACAs with the HP level control acting as volume control. Played the same song (Lucky Ali - Tere Mere Sath mein hotha hai) in both setups and did a crude measurement of the spectrum on my mobile app SPL meter. See below screenshots.

The same song played in both cases for nearly the same time at about the same average level and SPL meter set to measure the spectrum for the same time in both cases. NOTE THE PEAK LEVELS recorded for each Octave. This app indicates the peak hold. My thinking is the peak measured for the same song playing at about the same level over the same time period should give an indication of the system performance.

It is not calibrated or a much sophisticated measurement so please take it only as a rough guidance to the performance. If there is a more accurate but economical way of measurement please advice.

View attachment 69258
With Elekit TU-8500 driving the ACAs you may note the whole spectrum is a couple of dB roughly lower (Y axis major divisions could be seen on zooming in) the direct from CDP.

For the ears direct from CDP seemed a bit more clear but also a little sharp. Through the preamp it was sweeter and relaxed. Imaging is neck to neck but Elekit has an edge.

Hope this helps.
The setup looks so beautiful 😍. Happy listening

May be you can drill out a hole on the top cover to change the jumpers without taking the cover off. I believe thats a common mod for elekits.

but not anytime soon.
No Rajan, not for drilling the cover..such a good finish. if I got the customs officer who scratched the cabinet of the amp while inspecting, i don't know what I'd do. A knife mark on it when they opened the wrap on the cabinet.

Oh, yeah I took 6 years to build my next after Elekit. Other considerations..

Having done and dusted the ACA pair, two more equipment to the "family". Had to shift and shove the stuff around. More power cables, more speaker cables, inputs... It was a mess behind the rack. Sunday afternoon work... Tidied up...
From this
IMG_20220424_173758_hdr~5.jpg
To this , power bricks of ACAs behind TV, back side of the rack was a bit messy too till a few hours back.
IMG_20220510_212823_hdr~3.jpg
So tidying up the back all wires pulled down, new trunking fixedIMG_20220515_125955_hdr.jpg
The final ..power bricks of ACA mounted on the back, power cables and wires tidied up...😀😀😀
IMG_20220515_155948_hdr.jpg
IMG_20220515_155705_hdr.jpg
IMG_20220515_155828_hdr.jpg
From the front
IMG_20220515_170020_hdr~2.jpg
The inputs for subwoofer has to be wired...later

Having done and dusted the ACA pair, two more equipment to the "family". Had to shift and shove the stuff around. More power cables, more speaker cables, inputs... It was a mess behind the rack. Sunday afternoon work... Tidied up...
From this
View attachment 69329
To this , power bricks of ACAs behind TV, back side of the rack was a bit messy too till a few hours back.
View attachment 69330
So tidying up the back all wires pulled down, new trunking fixedView attachment 69331
The final ..power bricks of ACA mounted on the back, power cables and wires tidied up...😀😀😀
View attachment 69332
View attachment 69333
View attachment 69334
From the front
View attachment 69335
Super clean now, Adipoli

If I am going for a tube amp, I have my eyes set on a GM70.
I have heard a Lyrita GM70 a while back, and I liked what I heard. It was also paired with some horns and klipsch RP-600.. . User is not on the forum.

but not anytime soon.
Don't feeling like switching back to Elekit TU-8200...

Noise floor of ACAs seems to be very low and the clarity is captivating. Has been driving my experimental OB with Ahuja 12FRX for past week. Going nuts with the sound. Even old cassettes sound like from NAS through the DAC.

Super clean setup, Subbu!
If only you were in B’lore; I would‘ve dragged you home to help fix the mess here :)

Don't feeling like switching back to Elekit TU-8200...

Noise floor of ACAs seems to be very low and the clarity is captivating. Has been driving my experimental OB with Ahuja 12FRX for past week. Going nuts with the sound. Even old cassettes sound like from NAS through the DAC.

I know that feeling. After I got the pre-amp completed and put it in the chain, it just elevated ACA to another level.

Quite frankly, I didnt have much expectations due to the use of laptop like power supplies given in the ACA kit. and how wrong I was.

since you are heading down the path of linear PS for ACA, I am eager to hear your observations.

I had to disconnect everything as some home reno is going on now. everything is packed away. just using my Whammy Head Phone Amp with assorted HP nowadays

by the way, massive fan of your cable routing.
my cable routing was a spaghetti noodle mess, and dusty. I am going to make an attempt while connecting everything back, but am under no illusion abt coming anywhere close to your level.

I know that feeling. After I got the pre-amp completed and put it in the chain, it just elevated ACA to another level.

Quite frankly, I didnt have much expectations due to the use of laptop like power supplies given in the ACA kit. and how wrong I was.

since you are heading down the path of linear PS for ACA, I am eager to hear your observations.

I had to disconnect everything as some home reno is going on now. everything is packed away. just using my Whammy Head Phone Amp with assorted HP nowadays

by the way, massive fan of your cable routing.
my cable routing was a spaghetti noodle mess, and dusty. I am going to make an attempt while connecting everything back, but am under no illusion abt coming anywhere close to your level.
In ACA 1.8 description they had said the PSU is improved version. That might have given the edge in our builds. When I go to India, planning to get a couple of transformers and components for PSU. It is super expensive to import here in UAE.

Get your rig back to singing soon.

With a bit of planning and elbow grease you can easily route the cables neatly. You have demonstrated the skill you have in your speakers and preamp. Get some trunking like below, cable ties and double side tapes.

1652936942164.png

I have learnt it from various electricians, cable jointers and other technicians who worked with me at project sites. When you "live" with them for years together (~30 yrs) it becomes ingrained in you :).

cable-laying-service-500x500.png

control-relay-panel-commissioning-500x500.jpg
The above are not my work, but was for at least 30 to 50% of my time I was directly involved in such works.

Now I feel ashamed how bad I used to be earlier when a "kid". Still I could improve.

It is an art and skill that some people demonstrate. If I got Xavier or Samuel or Irudayaraj or, or,,,,, to my house they would have done a much better job 😉😉

Last edited:
n
From this
View attachment 69329
View attachment 69330
So tidying up the back all wires pulled down, new trunking fixedView attachment 69331
View attachment 69332
View attachment 69333
View attachment 69334
From the front
View attachment 69335
Nice setup .. wire free looks .
And always very informative . ACA runs 19v off laptop adapter i suppose .

n

Nice setup .. wire free looks .
And always very informative . ACA runs 19v off laptop adapter i suppose .
Thankyou Kaushik for your kind words.

If you mean my posts are informative, i believe in sharing what I know. If it is useful and makes another's life easy, why not? If there is something wrong with the information I share, someone may point it out and i could correct it.

ACA 1.8 runs on 24V, 5A adaptors giving 8Wpc.i think i read one can convert older version to run on 24V.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back