Amp for my new Paradigm Monitor 7 FS :)

rohitmusic

Hi!
Just got a brand new pair of Paradigm Monitor 7 Floorstanders! :) Now the search for Amp starts.. :) I just have the speakers lying at home for now.... "patience...." :p

Need your expert advice of which amp combination will go best with these speakers? (Some amp options: Yamaha a500, CA, Marantz 6004, NAD?)

Also, one option is to start building a 5.1 system. In that case which AVR would be good match having good sterio capability?

(Open to pre-owned options)

Inputs appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Rohit

Last edited:
Keep away from Yamaha, look for Marantz and NAD. You can even try the Denon PMA series for full dinchak dinchak experience. :lol:

Would like to take this opportunity to thank Flash for guiding us into our first setup :) Cheers! :)

BTW here are my first impressions... which I will try my best to explain in the most non technical way.. :)

The Paradigms were paired with Denon 1911 when I auditioned them:
I played following:
1. Colonial cousins - Hariharan
2. A.R Rahman - Gurus of peace
3. MJ - History album

Observations:
1. I liked the SQ but I felt the upper frequencies of string instruments like guitars, etc were not coming as much. (Switching to some MJ tracks however gave a more balanced sound covering upper frequencies quite nicely - ofcourse the recording quality of that CD is much better than the other 2 CDs I carried :) )
2. I had to crank up the volume a bit to hear the detailing.
3. Our audition lasted only for half an hour and have not heard these babies paired with any other amp/avr so these are really my first impressions :)

Overall I thought the denon pairing was lacking some punch and more dynamic sound. (especially upper frequencies?)

Hope to get more inputs on these from you and will share mine as and when I hear the speakers more after pairing with some amps/avrs. Right now I am just drooling just "looking" at them :)

Will keep updated.. and hope to get help from forum friends :)

Thanks,
Rohit

Dude, you have the Paradigm's 7 ver 6 with Yamaha AVR... what seems to be the problem ?

I was more talking on the AS500 side, even the same case with yamaha avr. Not enough juice to drive unless you crank up volume to top and which will make the experience a little boomy. For speakers like Klipsch and Paradigms better amps are Marantz and NAD (C350 and above). I am in serious plan to upgrade to Marantz AVR if some one picks up my yammy. :licklips:

Or emotiva pre-power combo. :D

Last edited:
Rohit -

1. Most important what is your budget ?

2. Do you want a dedicated Stereo or build a 5.1 ( this is something you have to decide now)

Pickup krish's marantz 6004 which is on sale if hf is what you found lacking.

BTW, Paradigm and lacking hf? thats new. :)

hmm..

Budget is already out of the window :)
For "starters" lets just say around 25k for "NOW" (pun intended) :p (very open to preowned options)

Sterio or 5.1?
- I am tending towards 5.1 setup (my bro is inclined on that option) IFF it can also provide nice sterio SQ.
Maybe I can hear these paired with some nice AVRs and if SQ is acceptable wouldnt mind sticking to it for now.
- I have not heard these speakers paired with any sterio amp till now! :| So maybe once I actually hear them out I will be able to know how much difference a sterio amp will do. Taking a call based on that experience will be easier.
I plan to hear out some pairings and see if I can get some home auditions too.. :)

fingers crossed :)

Try audition them with Marantz 6005 , it is last year model and right now being offered at a discounted price. Very rare that entry level avrs giving good stereo quality. If you find one , you are lucky.

Pickup krish's marantz 6004 which is on sale if hf is what you found lacking.

BTW, Paradigm and lacking hf? thats new. :)

Hmm.. I too heard a lot that Paradigms are bright and so that makes me wonder why I got this impression..

Is it the pairing with the AVR?
Is it the music I played? I dont know..

What I "heard" and "perceived" was that the string instruments did not sing that much.

Again since we are yet to hear out the speakers fully so this may rather be a skewed impression :)
Must confess its just too early for me to make any such impressions.. :)

Further inputs will be very helpful..

hmm..

Budget is already out of the window :)
For "starters" lets just say around 25k for "NOW" (pun intended) :p (very open to preowned options)

Sterio or 5.1?
- I am tending towards 5.1 setup (my bro is inclined on that option) IFF it can also provide nice sterio SQ.
Maybe I can hear these paired with some nice AVRs and if SQ is acceptable wouldnt mind sticking to it for now.
- I have not heard these speakers paired with any sterio amp till now! :| So maybe once I actually hear them out I will be able to know how much difference a sterio amp will do. Taking a call based on that experience will be easier.
I plan to hear out some pairings and see if I can get some home auditions too.. :)

fingers crossed :)

Contact Fm sagarvikram, he is based in Bavdhan he has the Monitor 9 mated to Cambridge 640a (he is in Goa he will be back on Monday)

FM ruenigma has the Paradigm titan monitor with nad 326. he is based close Lulla Nagar

You can drip by my place if you want to hear it with Arcam / Rotel / Denon /
can take to some other FM's i know who stay around the corner who has Yamaha AVR / Onkyo AVR

Interestingly there is another Paradigm monitor thread which gives similar impression..

http://www.hifivision.com/amplifiers/23511-integrated-amp-paradigm-monitor-9-series-7-a-3.html

@corElement
"I heard the monitor 9 yesterday on a cambridge audio azur 840a amplifier which is on the warm side and I was not impressed. I'm not sure why everyones saying it's bright because I found the speaker too warm for the warm amp compared to my e875's which I always felt was on the warmer side. I strongly suggest against amps with warmer sounds and go for amps with brighter presence."

Anyways am just gonna hear out the stuff to know more... :)

Rohit . If you heard the Paradigm's at Aquarius. Well considering the really small room size, bass takes a center stage and tends to drown out the HF.
Infact the Klipsch RF-62 did not sound bright as well when I was there 3 days ago.

So try listening to the Monitor 7 in a larger room. Will try and arrange for a stereo amp you can take home ... Will talk to Mr Daruwala as well and see if he can give you a Norge for a day or 2 for a home audition

Actually we also heard the Klipsch along with the Paradigms.. and we definately found the Klipsch giving much "brighter" sound. So, it may very well be a relative comparison that we are making :) Is it so?

Flash ,

How about pairing it with Arcam pre and emotiva UPA-2 power ?

I am sure OP will find , HF LF and ALLF's :D

Actually we also heard the Klipsch along with the Paradigms.. and we definately found the Klipsch giving much "brighter" sound. So, it may very well be a relative comparison that we are making :) Is it so?

Klipsch with the Horn tweeter is going to sound way brighter so if it was used as a benchmark then the Paradigm's are going to sound warmer. .
It could be the reason .

Kittu.. Since you have the exact same speakers that the OP has. How would you describe the sound signature

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back