Amp for my new Paradigm Monitor 7 FS :)

There's a used Emotiva amp with the dealer (from where u got ur speakers), why dont u try that with your speakers.. may be u like it.. there's no harm in giving it a try.. rite.. :)

Hmm.. Now, I just need to jot down a list of what all combinations I am to try out :) Will add to the list. The list is in the making. :p

One more suggestion.. :p

Try Marantz SR5005... i liked this AVR with my Aviano 2.. auditioned at AVexcellence.. listened to stereo only.. they also have Paradigm speakers so you can get a demo..

OK, here is a crazy idea..
Ive heard about bi-amping.. (I know the Paradigm monitor 7s support it)
So, If I do bi-amping with two really affordable amps (say norge 2060 or 1000) then would the resulting SQ be better than going the single amp in the 25k range route?

P.S: I am a complete novice in this field and this question may actually be a dumb one, but logically thinking would it be a good option too..?
Thanks for your kind understanding! :)

I'll explain in as simple a way as possible

The bi-amping you are talking about is called passive biamping. where you use 2 amplifiers of equal gain to send the same signal to the loudspeaker. In this case the internal crossover of the speaker is bifurcated into 2 parts where the bass drivers get powered by one amp and the mid / treble drivers get powered by another. (different speakers have different crossover points)

Biamping does not neccessarily improve SQ.

You cannot use 2 different integrated amps to achieve this as there would be a gain mismatch however if the integrated has preouts you can connect 2 amps together.

Using a single 25k amp will be a lot better than using 2 cheap amps to achieve biamping

Certain AVR's denon 1612 1912, Marantz, Yamaha allow you to use the extra surround back channels for biamping your speakers.

Denon 1612(new) is available for 250$(only 250!!!) at amazon usa and 220 pounds at amazon uk. These prices are excluding shipping. Given your budget, if you order online, you might even be able to order the 1712.

Decide on the amp first, and then check out amaz(ing)on for the prices as you might get a new one for the price you'll pay for a pre-owned one in india.

Anytime dude.. :)

There's a used Emotiva amp with the dealer (from where u got ur speakers), why dont u try that with your speakers.. may be u like it.. there's no harm in giving it a try.. rite.. :)

Vikram, the Emotiva Power amp has a quoted price of 25k the OP would need to buy a preamp or a stereo integrated which has preouts so that would be an additional 15-25k

It would be over his budget

I'll explain in as simple a way as possible
Biamping does not neccessarily improve SQ.

You cannot use 2 different integrated amps to achieve this as there would be a gain mismatch however if the integrated has preouts you can connect 2 amps together.

Using a single 25k amp will be a lot better than using 2 cheap amps to achieve biamping

Certain AVR's denon 1612 1912, Marantz, Yamaha allow you to use the extra surround back channels for biamping your speakers.

Thanks for the info Flash! This is an interesting world of Hifi with infinite possibilities. Not to mention speaker+Amp+Cables+Interconnects+source+media+whatnot combinations... :D
Each choice takes you to a unique different path :D

Vikram, the Emotiva Power amp has a quoted price of 25k the OP would need to buy a preamp or a stereo integrated which has preouts so that would be an additional 15-25k

It would be over his budget

Oops.. my bad.. i thought its an integrated amp..

Denon 1612(new) is available for 250$(only 250!!!) at amazon usa and 220 pounds at amazon uk. These prices are excluding shipping. Given your budget, if you order online, you might even be able to order the 1712.

Decide on the amp first, and then check out amaz(ing)on for the prices as you might get a new one for the price you'll pay for a pre-owned one in india.

Thanks for the info! This helps! :)

Last edited:

BTW I have my cousin in US, I just read about marking it as a gift? Would that help here?

If he can fit it in the suitcase and isnt too heavy he wont even need to mark it.

Sorry for being incomplete. I meant about him shipping it here (not carrying himself :) ).

BTW, how much are shipping+custom charges if we get stuff from US or UK using amazon sites as mentioned in previous link?

Example: Considering 250$ how much does it actually cost with shipping,etc?

Which is preferable US or UK?

(Again this is just for my FYI.. :) )

Most US electronics run on 110V which means you have to factor that in order to be able to use it in India you would need to shell out 2-4k for a good step down transformer
Unless offcourse the equipment has a switch on the back to switch from 110 to 220. in that case the step down becomes redundant

Look at Amazon.de ... there are some good deals that come by every once in a while.
There is a dedicated thread for it .

Agree with flash. Make an account on amazon.de, select the product and checkout, then you'll be able to learn about the shipping charges and other overheads.

Hi guys,
Here is the list that I have created based on inputs in this thread. I will try to audition these. Please do chip in and add if I missed anything. :)

AVR:
Denon 1911 - Already heard in auditions
Denon 1912
Denon 1611 (? - I was told 1911 onwards are much better)
Marantz 5005 - (would like to hear these, heard marantz are good with music)

Amps:
NAD 326BEE (any other model?)
Marantz 6004 (any other model?)
Yamaha AS500
Denon PMA 710 series

(Music:Movies = 70:30)

Thanks in Advance!
Rohit

Hi guys,
Here is the list that I have created based on inputs in this thread. I will try to audition these. Please do chip in and add if I missed anything. :)

AVR:
Denon 1911 - Already heard in auditions
Denon 1912
Denon 1611 (? - I was told 1911 onwards are much better)
Marantz 5005 - (would like to hear these, heard marantz are good with music)

Amps:
NAD 326BEE (any other model?)
Marantz 6004 (any other model?)
Yamaha AS500
Denon PMA 710 series

(Music:Movies = 70:30)

Thanks in Advance!
Rohit

Don't consider 1611. This avr won't do justice to the floorstanders.

Don't consider 1611. This avr won't do justice to the floorstanders.

OK, thanks for the Update.
Last time I visited a local store SoundFactor he recommended the Harman kardon to be a good match for Paradigm signature. But, I guess it is on the costlier side? What is approx pricing like?

Also how are the Norge amps?
I know the difference in finish/remote/etc... but how much difference in SQ as compared to marantz, NAD, Denon...?

Also how are the Norge amps?
I know the difference in finish/remote/etc... but how much difference in SQ as compared to marantz, NAD, Denon...?

Great for indian music/songs and good for well recorded western albums.
The 'space' and 'scale' is limited and that does not affect indian movie soong reproduction.

*Ofcource Iam comparing to amps that cost 4 times as much.

For the price, no comparison literally.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back