An affordable but almost perfect matching rear surround speakers for for my AV receiver Yamaha HTR3066

Betson

Hi friends,

I am new to this community and planning to upgrade my HT system (Yamaha HTR 3066) in a phased manner. Front tower speakers are Yamaha NS8390. Not so good but can handle till next phase upgradation. Now I want to buy an affordable but good rear surround speakers. My budget is just 16,000 Rs for pair.

2 options are here, available in Amazon.

1) Polk audio T15 - Rs 12,000 for pair.
2) Boston acoustic A26 - Rs 15,500 for pair

I love movies and always watching with my 3D bluray plair. For music. I think, it's better to listen in stereo mode and my tower speakers are doing good. So I am in little bit confusion. My mind is voting for BA-A26. But Polk audios brand value is much better.

What do I do. Can you please help...

Regds,

Betson
Cochin

Among these two, Boston a26 is better. You can also look at Polk owm3 which is available at 12.5k from profx

Do you not have any surrounds as of now? Your feedback on the 8390 is correct and should be the first ones to be replaced.

In second thoughts you could get decent fronts and use the 8390 as rear surrounds if you have the space.

MaSh

Do you not have any surrounds as of now? Your feedback on the 8390 is correct and should be the first ones to be replaced.

In second thoughts you could get decent fronts and use the 8390 as rear surrounds if you have the space.

MaSh
Thanks for your reply. Actually me also thought like that but don't have enough space at back side for a tower speaker..

Present surrounds are small Yamaha speakers which I got as bundled with HT. And it's a waste.

What about BA- A26. It's woofer is bigger than Polk.

Thanks for your reply. Actually me also thought like that but don't have enough space at back side for a tower speaker..

Present surrounds are small Yamaha speakers which I got as bundled with HT. And it's a waste.

What about BA- A26. It's woofer is bigger than Polk.

Oh if you have surrounds, be it small or big, keep them and upgrade your Fronts, Center and Sub. This would give you an instant improvement. Rear Surrounds contribute to just about 5% of entire sound track. The fronts and center are way way more important.

MaSh

Oh if you have surrounds, be it small or big, keep them and upgrade your Fronts, Center and Sub. This would give you an instant improvement. Rear Surrounds contribute to just about 5% of entire sound track. The fronts and center are way way more important.

MaSh
Thanks. It's a new information.. .I will think about it. But what do I do with my existing Yamaha tower speaker..

Boston acoustic A26 is bigger for surround i believe.Check for the spec and dimension before placing an order.
If you plan BA A26 then think about mounting options.If it is swivel mounting stand it will protrude from wall again about 1 - 2 inches from wall.
I own A25 for surround & SB for primary setup it is next downgrade model of A26 ( it fixed with swivel stand and protruded from wall )
Have you seen the speaker size of A26 ? i own a pair of BA 26 for my secondary setup serves as front LR.
If you have enough space then blindly go ahead only if your AVR can drive those puppies.
Performance wise VFM IMO.
All the best

Thanks. It's a new information.. .I will think about it. But what do I do with my existing Yamaha tower speaker..

You could try OLX or put them in another room of the house. You can consider any of the suggested Book Shelves from Polk, BA, Elac, etc. for your front speakers. You could check the For Sale section too for some nice deals.

MaSh

I am new to this community and planning to upgrade my HT system (Yamaha HTR 3066) in a phased manner. Front tower speakers are Yamaha NS8390. Not so good but can handle till next phase upgradation. Now I want to buy an affordable but good rear surround speakers. My budget is just 16,000 Rs for pair.

What is your center speaker ?..

Instead of going for book shelf speaker, consider Bipole/Dipole surround speakers. They will give you more convincing and immersive surround sound. Surround sound field will be wider and broader. For your budget wait for pre-owned surround speakers.

Instead of going for book shelf speaker, consider Bipole/Dipole surround speakers. They will give you more convincing and immersive surround sound. Surround sound field will be wider and broader. For your budget wait for pre-owned surround speakers.
Thanks... I will think about it..

Most of us at the end of day is looking for the right speaker which can produce better and clear sound.....

thumb rule for a good speaker you need to keep in mind

1. Ensure the speaker has a high sensitivity above 88db..this will put less effort for the amp or avr to push sound....
  2. ensure the selected speaker delivers all or most of all frequencies between 20hz and 20khz....the more closer / lower to 20hz means more bass and more closer or higher to 20khz means better highs and clarity....
  3. Very essential to note the impedance of the speaker....typically 6 ohms or 8 ohms.....8 ohms is better (my personal opinion and most in the audiophile world use the same).
  4. Looks of the speakers should be the least of concerns, you need to ensure placement, size, performance and compatibility with your amp or avr...
Audition and decide.....don't rush....seek feedback...see some youtube videos to get a rough idea......

All the best

I owned Monitor Audio BXFX surround speakers, to my opinion they sound better than book shelf as far as surround sound experience concerned. Placement is easier than book shelf as can be directly mounted on wall without any shelf. For your budget Wharfdale have wall mounted surround speakers. Just check hi-fi mart for details. May be within your budget also.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back