An owners rant of the Sony XBR659000E

ssf

The day my 5 year old son broke my 5 year old Panna Plasma 50" tv, I had a smile on my face. I knew that I would now finally get the 65" TV that I always wanted :lol:

So went TV shopping the same evening. First stop, LG showroom. Oh yes, I wanted a taste that OLED !!! A C series LG Oled was on display and beside it, a LG UH 65 OT Led TV.

I requested them to play some HD content from whatever dish it was connected to. To be honest, I could not make out much of a difference between the two and I did not like either one of the TVs'. Maybe, the lighting in the showroom was bad (although I had asked them to turn down the lights) and the content played was not really on what the TV should have been judged. I left the showroom with a promise to return for a second viewing.

A bit down the road was the Sony showroom and I walked in. And there it was displayed in all its glory, the Sony XBR659000E (hehe, am exaggerating a bit here) but this TV did look right to me. Here too, I asked them to turn down the lights, put the TV on Cinema Pro and asked him to play the same HD Dish content. This TV definitely looked better to me even with the HD content playing. And compared to the OLED, it was way cheaper. Now me being an old man, am sure my eyes would not be able to make out the differences between a good mid range TV and a high end OLED TV except for its price so I went ahead and booked the TV right there. Did not even consider looking at Quantum Dots.

TV arrived in 3 days during which time I was watching my videos on my 22 inch Del LED computer monitor.

Its been more than a few weeks now and am really impressed with this TV. Its viewing angle is pretty bad, you will have to sit before the TV but when you do, it's amazing. The black levels are black, period. I don't remember getting this feeling even on my plasma. And when HDR content is played, its amazing.

As I said earlier, my aging eyes cannot tell the difference between a 1080p picture and a 4k, 1080p looks very very good. I am on a 8 Mbps fibre line, so I don't get 4 k consistently, but it is enough to give me a steady stream of 1080p and most times upto 1440p. Will be upgrading my BSNL bandwidth soon.

Am sure the OLED's would look better but for most, not by much. Although I would have loved to own the OLED, the cost of the OLED was quite higher, that and with the excellent picture quality of the XBR659000E, I think I made the right decision.

There are quite a few professional reviews of this TV on the net, so if interested, please search for it.

For all those who are looking at a big screen TV, but do not want to spend too much money, do give the XBR659000E as try before you decide.(Please forgive the poor picture quality. Am no expert on Photo's either)

Attachments

• 20170806_065209.jpg
    20170806_065209.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
They offered me a one year warranty at rs. 35000 or so which I thought was ridiculous. Maybe I got the price wrong. Will check it out with them again, thanks. I was thinking of getting it insured under the household policy which will be for the fraction of the cost.

They offered me a one year warranty at rs. 35000 or so which I thought was ridiculous. Maybe I got the price wrong. Will check it out with them again, thanks. I was thinking of getting it insured under the household policy which will be for the fraction of the cost.

Sony provides 2 yrs extended warranty.. Not 1 yr.. since your TV would be expensive, extended warranty too will be expensive.. Please refer to Sony india website for more details before you purchase it..

Btw, does insurance cover the panel cost after warranty period?

On a TV the issues will be due to
- Manufacturing defects, likely to surface during the 1 year warranty period
- Power Surges, which can happen anytime and may not be covered by the manufacturer warranty anyways. Third parties like Reliance etc. though claim that they provide this coverage
- Physical damage, which is not covered but can lead to upgrades that you desire :)

I have invested in a good UPS (APC SUA 1500) which is the safety net for all my HT gear including TV, AVR, PS3, Oppo etc.
Personally I also take the extended warranty (from the Manufacturer) to the maximum extent for the peace of mind. The panel for my LG LED was replaced which got burnt due to a power surge before I got my UPS, HP laptop's touch screen, keyboard fan etc. all replaced during the extended warranty period, so for me it has been worth it.

A good UPS with surge protection regardless of the warranty decision is highly recommended.

Last edited:
A good UPS with surge protection regardless of the warranty decision is highly recommended.

Actually, this is my biggest worry. Power surges. Will look into the UPS option, thanks.

I was at a Mall yesterday. When my family was finishing their shopping, I walked into a store selling TV's which had a wide selection of 4 K TV's.

The LG UH 65 OT Led TV which did not impress me much earlier was this time streaming Marco Polo in 4K and it was looking great.

It was interesting to listen to the young salesman who was explaining the TV's features to me. In his view, the Samsung QLed was the best TV there and that it was much better than the OLed and that it had 65 times more resolution than the 4K LG OLed TV. I asked him if he could tell the difference between all the 4 K tv's playing out there and he said that he could. To prove it, he played HD content of some Dish TV. He went on to tell me how one TV was better than the other and all I could see was horrible picture quality on both the TV's. I was advised to watch it from a distance.

All his explanations on Samsung HDR 1500 HDR 1000 etc started to give me a headache.

It is sad that the stores selling TV costing lakhs of rupees don't take the time to educate their sales personnel.

My takeaway from my visit to this store was that I would be happy with any of the 65" 4 k TV being displayed out there and that I really would not be able to tell the difference between LED, OLed and Quantum Dot if all the TV's were calibrated the same way. My aging eyesight has it's advantages :lol:

Hi ssf!

I am considering the same tv except in 55". How much did you get it for and where (if you dont mind me asking)

Original cost: 2,84,900/-

It was sold to me for 2,63,000/- by the Exclusive Sony dealer in Mangalore

Thanks so much. I checked out the sony india website and the price of the 55" is about 2L.

I contemplated on buying the 55" from amazon.com ($1300) then have it shipped to mumbai.

Spoke to a freight forwarder and he said the shipping and handling charges + duties and taxes will come out MORE than the cost of the tv itself. [emoji31][emoji31][emoji31]

If im going to spend 2L+ i'd buy another Oled instead.

If im going to spend 2L+ i'd buy another Oled instead

You are likely to get a good discount on the sticker price of the Sony. How much are they quoting for OLed ? I think the LG OLed B series might be around the 2 lakh range.

Last edited:
I just visited croma and vijay sales in bandra. None wanted to budge from the sticker price of 2L for the 55" xbr9000e

No stocks for b6 at all. C7 they are quoting me 2.25L

Consensus on the Net is that the difference in price between the 9000e and 9300e is not justified inclusion of Dolby Vision and all.

Purchased a Numeric LI SW 2000 UPS. Got it installed yesterday.

Components connected to it is as under:

1. TV
2. AVR
3. STB
4. CD Player
5. Dvd player
6. Sub woofer.

All connected via the SF Barracuda Universal Power Distribution Centre / SF Truline MK2 Power Cable from Soundfoundations.

Mostly, only the TV, AVR and sub is on. Tested it by switching off the main power. Instant switchover. Power is pretty stable in Mangalore. If there is a power cut, the apartment Generator will turn on in under 30 seconds. Turned off my 500 va Inverter as the UPS was connected after the 500 va inverter.

Fetures:

Built-in Automatic Voltage Regulator (AVR)
Microprocessor controlled circuit
Extended battery run time
Full time EMI / RFI Suppression
Cold Start Capability
Telephone / Modem line surge protection
Printer surge protection
Advanced UPS monitoring software
Generator capability
User replaceable battery
Extended Back-up Time (optional)

Cost: 17500-18000 (Yet to get the bill)

I hope this will give sufficient protection to my AV equipment. Please let me know if I need to anything more to improve the protection.

Attachments

• 20171021_114554.jpg
    20171021_114554.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 49
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back