Any single malt afficionados here?

How many litres or bottles of alcohol one is allowed to bring from overseas flight? Usually used to bring 2 bottles pre covid times and have not been asked any questions from customs. Any lower or upper limit has been fixed now?
Two litres is the allowed limit

Recent acquire, am impressed with this bold and 55.8% aggressive drink... highly recommend if you are new or an old dog of single malt... would like to hear comments if any one has tried.

View attachment 70389
Picked up Talisker, (not 10 though), eons ago from CSD Canteen. Nothing to write home about. Smelt of burnt rubber. I'm sure this would be different.

Last edited:
Recent acquire, am impressed with this bold and 55.8% aggressive drink... highly recommend if you are new or an old dog of single malt... would like to hear comments if any one has tried.

I remember the rather unique peppery taste of the Talisker 10 under the peat, although it's not quite the peat monster. This however was from a long time ago. Not sure what it's like now.

Has anyone tried some of the new India single malts ?

I am really impressed with Kamet, and Godwan.

Trying to get my hands on Indri.

View attachment 70389

I’m a big fan of Talisker, both the 10yo and the Dark Storm versions. Smooth, not too sweet, with a hint of peat. Good value, too.

NOTE:
B’lore duty free is pretty dry at the moment with respect to single malts. Very few options available. You’re better off picking up stuff before you land here, especially if you’re coming in via Heathrow or Dubai.

Talisker 10 is nice, much more affordable and less peaty than Ardbeg or Laphroaig but those who like smooth whiskeys still wont like it.
I'm not a afficianado per se but talking about peaty Whiskeys in the Talisker price range, one of my go to favourites is Caol Ila!

In the same range, I was also fond of the Laphroaig Quarter Cask over their 10yr and Select variants but I haven't seen it in store shelves for over 2-3 years now. Wonder why

In my recent trips picked up Balvenie, Macallan 12, Craigellachie, Indri, Monkey Shoulder and Aberfeldy.

The Craigellachie 13 yo is a great whiskey, very smooth and nice tasting. Its worth going for, if you are getting at a good price.

One good trick I found is that Blr duty free if you book in advance (I booked when I was en route) you get upto 20% discount which is a great sweetener.

In the same range, I was also fond of the Laphroaig Quarter Cask over their 10yr and Select variants but I haven't seen it in store shelves for over 2-3 years now. Wonder why
+1. My Baptism to Single Malts was with Laphroaig 10 year. Thereafter, I quickly upgraded to the Quarter Cask. Rest is history but I miss the Quarter Cask. Can't find it anymore.:(

AKS07 got me started on this.

Just got a bottle of McClelland a couple of days ago-I rate it as an excellent value for money single malt.Having tasted/stock some of the other better known brands like Laphroiag, Ardbeg, Glenfiddich, GlenMorangie, Glenlivet, Balvenie, I find if the smoky peaty flavour is too strong, I don't enjoy it as much as if it s a bit muted. Balvenie is more to my taste.

I have now shifted into wine drinking( though I do have a occasional single malt)

George
dependson how u drink it..... straight the best way or add a dash of water to release the flavour.. try cardhu its smooth and not as peaty as Laphroiag

Latest batch of Islay malt...

Thanks for your earlier suggestions...

I have a chance to pick few more (6 bottles) Islay whiskies while my wife returns from the US next month.
Need recommendations for roughly $120 and are readily available. (different from the last batch)
Even Speyside also welcome.

Last edited:
My favourite Islay malts are Lagavulin 16, Caol ila and Ardbeg, in that order. The former has a 10 yo version that I haven’t tried. Pretty easily available. Ardbeg has many variants and I’m never sure which one I’m drinking!
My other non-Islay favourites are Balvenie Doublewood and Triple Cask. They, too, have a new variant out.
Incidentally, I’ve recently developed a taste for cognac. Hennessy VSOP is a good place to start, and an XO is a great place to end up.

I have a chance to pick few more (6 bottles) Islay whiskies while my wife returns from the US next month.
Need recommendations for roughly $120 and are readily available. (different from the last batch)

Not Islay, but close geographically, also not very peaty: Scapa, Highland Park, Port Ellen (hard to find), Jura

Speyside: Cragganmore, Aberlour A'bunadh, Macallan

Aberfeldy/Craigellachie/Classic Laddie/Cao Ila/Macallan 12/Jura/Dalmore

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back