Any single malt afficionados here?

I opened the Yamazaki a few weeks and with some good company at home and tasted it. Excellent- quite flavourful,smooth and matured, not smoky or peaty like Laphroaig for example. All of us enjoyed it.

It's been too hot here in HYD to drink any whiskey - will have to wait for the cooler months ahead to get in on the action. That Yamazaki is on my wish list this year.

I opened the Yamazaki a few weeks and with some good company at home and tasted it. Excellent- quite flavourful,smooth and matured, not smoky or peaty like Laphroaig for example. All of us enjoyed it.

From the above, it appears that you found the Lapgroaig to be overwhelming to the senses. Have you tried the Laphroaig Quarter Cask? Its much more refined and once you have it, it would be difficult to go back to the base version. Like moving back from SET amp to Push-Pull. :D

Early this month I was at Maldives, the Male duty free on the departure side has good collections. I got Ardbeg at USD 62 a bottle, got 2. I like Ardbeg more than Laphoraig. BTW once at Male I got Balvenie @ USD 40 a bottle which is much cheaper than Mumbai duty free.

Thanks to some heavy showers the temperature has dropped here in Hyderabad.
Perhaps with a few more showers it may become cool enough to open up a bottle of single malt.

On a recent trip to South east Asia I picked up a bottle of Auchentoshan Heartwood.
This is a popular single malt in the East but hardly even seen in duty free shops in Europe or Middle East.

On a rather different note, possibly sacrilegious to the single malt aficionados here, had gotten a taste of Ouzo on a trip to Cyprus some time back. A recent replication (of the drink, not the country) has reignited the taste buds and prompted this post. It's a lovely Greek/Cypriot drink, quite common in restaurants there, with a very unique and wonderful taste.
Would love to have pointers to it's availability in India.

On a rather different note, possibly sacrilegious to the single malt aficionados here, had gotten a taste of Ouzo on a trip to Cyprus some time back.

We used to drink a lot of it in college. Wish we could get it in India for old time's sake I would keep a bottle (I have shifted almost entirely to wine now).

No no, we enjoy it in all colours and flavours not merely the produce of Scotland! I have have bottle of something not dissimilar that I picked up at Ataturk, Istanbul last year-Raki, the Turkish stuff which I quite enjoy!

Just back from a quick trip to Germany and picked up two bottles of Single Malts on the way back. First was a 10 year Ardberg which will only be opened when the mercury goes below 10 - 15 degrees. It is one of the peatiest and smokiest single malts out there. A real man's drink.

Second bottle is a travelers retail special at Frankfurt airport and highly recommended: Glenmorangie - The Duthac from their Legends collection. Frankfurt Airport duty free has a tasting bar where I was able to get a taste of this single malt before purchase. Superb finish.

Scored a couple over the last few weeks:

1. Jura Superstition

2. Suntory's Hibiki Masters Select in a beautifully made decanter like , but small 700 ml bottle.

Now to get them liberated!

From the above, it appears that you found the Lapgroaig to be overwhelming to the senses. Have you tried the Laphroaig Quarter Cask? Its much more refined and once you have it, it would be difficult to go back to the base version. Like moving back from SET amp to Push-Pull. :D
Laphroaig quarter cask is one of my all time comfortable favourites, at its peaty n smoky best, lagavulin 16 yrs is another wonderful thing....

Laphroaig 10 yr was pretty good.
My favorite was four roses single barrel - 50% alcohol - awesome.
I also like Buffalo trace, and even their white dog is rather good.
I also liked Rebel yell, which for being so inexpensive was very very good.
Cool.
Srinath.

Lagavulin is good, though a bit pricey and has been stocked in my godaam for the past 4-5 years now. Need to restock on Amrut soon. My bottle got swiped by a US visitor!

Rajesh

I have to disagree about moving back from SET to PP. I am doing one of each now a 45 SET and an EL 34 PP restoration-my fourth EL 34 build. I am of the personal opinion that like the single malts, we are discussing, why not be inclusive, rather than exclusive? Each has it's good attributes-be it Balvenie or Jura or Yamazaki or Lag, right?

Cheers

Cheers

Lagavulin is good, though a bit pricey and has been stocked in my godaam for the past 4-5 years now. Need to restock on Amrut soon. My bottle got swiped by a US visitor!
Yup, lagavulin is pricey, not the regular stuff....same here need to restock some amrut fusion soon

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back