Any single malt afficionados here?

Yes i have tried Smokehead a few times. It's a pretty neat Single malt and it is peaty and wonderful. Would place it right there with some of the more famous Single Malts in its price range.

Cheers.

Picked up serious listening to Country Music about 2 years back. Drove though Tail of the Dragon https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deals_Gap,_North_Carolina all the way to Blue Ridge Parkway, Virginia ..... and listened to John Denver only.
EC02037F41AD401E91F0D0F5CA0AD0C0.jpg

Got a Kentucky Bourbon .... Woodford Reserve straight from their brewery at Versailles, Kentucky.
wrds_1.jpg

Indeed bourbon tastes sweet with sweet country music.

Thanks
Auro

This one's the best out of all the Kentucky bourbons IMHO!

Absolutely.. no doubt about it.
I had been to many distillery tours in KY - Blue Stallion, Bluegrass, Wild Turkey, Maker's Mark, Jim Beam ..... but none had the perfect balance of sweetness, the spirit burn taste and the aroma of Woodford Reserve.

Have two glasses and my mind dances with the "High Life" of Jazz at the Pawn Shop :licklips:

For Scotch drinkers, Bourbon can be a bit of an acquired taste - brash and unsophisticated, conveying the atmosphere of a roadside speakeasy, or a country liquor bar here in India. But Woodford Reserve rises above all that, each sip the alcoholic equivalent of pure honey. One for the ages.

Probably the best thread that I have come across about Single Malts -it's an excellent read ( warning-it's about 16-17 pages long):

Scotch!!

I like the description of Arbeg 10 yr old on the first page-it's described as smoke, and then more smoke! I had a bottle of it for a few years, and in my mind I classified it as "Engine Oil"-it was way too strong or me.

For those of you who drink whicsky and havent sampled Single Malts, do try it out whenever you get the opportunity-there is a world of difference between the blended stuff and SMs.

Cheer

HI SIR , JUST ORDERED THE GLASS WAS LOOKING FOR IT.
NORMALLY A BEER GUY, BUT THE DELHI WINTERS TURNS ME HAVE TO SINGLE MALTS.
MANY THANKS
CHEERS & GOOD HEALTH.

Right said. Have you tried Bulleit 10yrs ? I found it pretty awesome neat or with a cube of ice. It's sweet, smoky and not harsh on your tongue. A friend of mine got it for me few yrs back, costs about $50 or so.

Best way to enjoy single malt is to take it neat, no ice no soda, just a dash of water at room temperature. And of course some good music along - Pure bliss!!

Anybody trying out Single Malt cocktails? :cool: :cool: :cool:
There's a great series going on with Glenmorangie called #GreatestFinishes

Here's the "Natural Links" serve with Glenmorangie Original, apple juice, Kmmel, sugar and soda water ...

Crw1VyiWgAAG8fk.jpg

"Ace of Clubs Julep" - Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, fresh mint, sugar & Fee Bros. black walnut bitters.

CoxDdeUWgAE3BDk.jpg

Last edited:
Undiluted alcohol at 40% + is strong enough to anaesthetise the tongue, thus reducing the sensation in one's taste buds. Which is why the recommended thing is a dash of cold water, which also brings out the flavour. My own experience shows that about a teaspoonful of cold water per peg works best. Any more dilutes it too much, and obscures the special taste of a single malt.

Also, ice is a total no-no, as it makes the Scotch too cold, and blocks out all the subtlety in the taste.

Still, to each his own. Theses days, to boost sales, the brand ambassadors of many top notch Scotches are sinking low enough to endorse mixing them with Coke, something popular in the Far East.

I drink SM mostly with a couple of ice cubes or neat depending on the weather.
On hotter days the ice gives a nice cold finish. In winter, neat is the best way.

I've also tried out cocktails specially on trips abroad but found them too sweet.
Still on the lookout for that perfect mix although I'm more skeptical now.
I'm enjoying the new variations that are coming up like the aged in wine casks etc.

A little variety to add to the old favorites!

i have found that a tbl spoon of warm water enhances the flavour of an SM..but i prefer the non peaty tasting ones..laphroaig is still too peaty for me

Laphroaig is a winter drink for me. Too much for the warm months.
Rest of the time I prefer the lighter Speysides or Highlands.

Lately I have returned to the classics - Glenlivet, Glenmorangie, Glenfiddich, etc.
Some time back I went on a sort of discovery of the rarer SM names with mixed results.
However I have upped the vintage to the 15 yr and 18 yr and have really enjoyed them.

Got a talisker skye recently. Liked it a lot.

Ice only or a dash of water. I add about the same amount of water as the measure of malt. Neat is just too strong for me.

Undiluted alcohol at 40% + is strong enough to anaesthetise the tongue, thus reducing the sensation in one's taste buds. Which is why the recommended thing is a dash of cold water, which also brings out the flavour. My own experience shows that about a teaspoonful of cold water per peg works best. Any more dilutes it too much, and obscures the special taste of a single malt.

Also, ice is a total no-no, as it makes the Scotch too cold, and blocks out all the subtlety in the taste.

Still, to each his own. Theses days, to boost sales, the brand ambassadors of many top notch Scotches are sinking low enough to endorse mixing them with Coke, something popular in the Far East.

I am also drinking this way only. Dash of water brings out the aroma and it no more remains neat!!!

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back