Any single malt afficionados here?

Agree......Lagavulin is fabulous.

Picked up a Glenfarclas 105 Cask Strength recently. In a word...Strong!

The other is my regular all weather companion....Glenmorangie

Attachments

• IMG_20151107_214750.jpg
    IMG_20151107_214750.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 163
Agree......Lagavulin is fabulous.

Picked up a Glenfarclas 105 Cask Strength recently. In a word...Strong!

The other is my regular all weather companion....Glenmorangie

Glenmorangie...aha [emoji39]
Had 2/3 bottles so far...simply superb.

But for occasional consumption, I go with good old (not so old-12 yrs only) Glenfiddich.

I used to be a hard core vodka lover till a really good friend decided to move to Qatar and had to give his entire single malt collection to me. Perhaps he thought it would be safe in my collection.

The collection included Ardberg, Jura, Dalmore and Laphroiag.

Once, I was hooked, the absolut's are really in a corner of the bar :)

I love the smoky flavours of both Laphroiag and Ardberg. The Dalmore and Jura are really superb but very pricey. I got a good deal at Dubai airport, so picked up the Dalmore again, as its far too expensive otherwise.

I tasted the Cao Ila and liked that a lot too.

Of the Japanese whiskeys, Yamazaki was really superb, sad that its so difficult to get in general duty frees. I actually found Yoichi even better, but far too difficult to get unless you visit Tokyo.

Post the single malts, the Jameson and JD, just seem too difficult to swallow, so probably they will remain for the guests :)

You are so right, once you get hooked to the SMs, the blends pale in comparison......although I don't mind a JD once in a while.

Currently have Caol Ila, Dalmore and Laphroig in my small collection. Was deliberating between Jura and Singleton during one of my stops at the Duty Free and for some reason the Singleton won. Shall give the Jura a try sometime soon.

Cheers

Glenmorangie...aha [emoji39]
Had 2/3 bottles so far...simply superb.

But for occasional consumption, I go with good old (not so old-12 yrs only) Glenfiddich.

Had some 15 year old Glenfiddich at a friend's place while ushering in the New Year......very nice :clapping:

The 17 year old was exquisite.

These days though, I depend on my fav rum to enhance my music listening sessions.

Attachments

• P_20160114_202139[1].jpg
    P_20160114_202139[1].jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 139
I picked up a bottle of Paul John recently-this is slightly higher priced domestically made competitor to Amrut Fusion, made by T John Distillers. Enjoyed a couple of shots of Jura Superstition and Aberlour, yesterday after many moons, having switched over to wine these days. The former was a tad smokier.

@ George,

How did the Paul John go ? I have been hearing some good things.

The Indian Amrut Fusion is quite something !

Hi guys,

Just came across this thread. As a huge single malt aficionado (the peaty ones generally make my days/evenings) I had to say hello to my fellow SM buffs.
Anyway, just picked up the Talisker Dark Storm and a bottle of Caol Ila last night at the duty free in Singapore. But Ardbeg is perhaps my all time favourite, followed closely by Laphroaig.
I am travelling out again soon and wanted to get some other recommendations for peaty single malts. Any suggestions on what I should try next? Any review of the Amrut peated? Is it any good?

Ta!

Depending on where you're traveling, you might be able to score a bottle of Ardbeg Corrycreckan (70 cl) at a local store, as it's not available at duty-free anywhere. Approx. $80 in the US. The finest single malt out there. Every sip is a a side trip to heaven.

Hi guys,

Just came across this thread. As a huge single malt aficionado (the peaty ones generally make my days/evenings) I had to say hello to my fellow SM buffs.
Anyway, just picked up the Talisker Dark Storm and a bottle of Caol Ila last night at the duty free in Singapore. But Ardbeg is perhaps my all time favourite, followed closely by Laphroaig.
I am travelling out again soon and wanted to get some other recommendations for peaty single malts. Any suggestions on what I should try next? Any review of the Amrut peated? Is it any good?

Ta!

If it's the Ardbeg taste profile you are after then unfortunately there are few that compare.
Having said that, there are certainly a few you should try - Top of my mind recall would be Lagavulin (less peaty, more complex) and Caol Ila (which I see you have already picked up)

Some more interesting things with a similar profile worth exploring would be
- Bunnahabhain (relatively cheaper, a lot less peaty but distinctly Islay)
- Dalmore (Not an Islay but quite peaty for a Highland)

If you are travelling to the UK, one cheap pick that is very good is the Waitrose house brand Islay (around 30 GBP for a 750)

A friend who likes Ardbeg also likes Highland Park although HP never quite did the trick for me..

Then there's Bruichladdich which I have somehow never been able to lay my hands on but have heard good stuff about

But there is something so magical about Ardbeg - there was this one night few months ago where I went down to get a quick night cap at 1 AM..
Somehow kept alternating between a few sips of Ardbeg and a bit of good Parmigiano until I realized It was 330 AM and I had polished off anywhere between a quarter to a third of the damned bottle!
Needless to say the morning after wasn't particularly pleasent :-|

On my recent trip from Australia I had a chance to pick up these goodies at Melbourne duty free.

Single Malt Scotch with Balls:
The Big 5 of "Peaty, Smoky" include Lagavulin 16, Ardbeg Uigeadail, Laphroaig 10, Caol Ila 12, Talisker 10. This is heady stuff.

If you are not familiar with the term "Laphroaig headache"...well, you've been warned.

Attachments

• peaty smoky scotch whisky.jpg
    peaty smoky scotch whisky.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 118
Want to add a new favourite, Monkey Shoulder, while not truly a single malt, its actually a triple malt, combining the best of Speyside malts (Balvenie, Glenfiddich and Kininvie). Superb bottle and great taste.

Hi guys,

Just picked up a bottle of Ardbeg and a fresh find - 'Smokehead'. I have never heard of this one, and picked it up at the duty free in Bangalore as they had an offer on it. No idea how good it is. Anyone here tried this yet?

Recently had the Ardbeg Uigeadail and man it was really smoky and complex and no burn.

But I still love the Amrut Peated that GeorgeO had sent me :) Proud to be Indian :D

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back