Any single malt afficionados here?

God... how did I miss this interesting thread for long...

From my recent overseas visit, I purchased a bottle of Absinthe, which seems to be having 60% alcohol content. Anyone know what is the best combination to try it out? The salesman advised sugarcane syrup, but I am bit skeptical

From my recent overseas visit, I purchased a bottle of Absinthe, which seems to be having 60% alcohol content. Anyone know what is the best combination to try it out? The salesman advised sugarcane syrup, but I am bit skeptical

Absinthe as you probably already know has an interesting past.

The best way to drink it is as a cocktail - usually whiskey cocktails
The Sazerac is one of the most famous absinthe cocktails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywe7gpzVmN8

Since this is a Scotch / Singe Malt thread here is a video of Scotch cocktails
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF7uqmn2rtY

Regards.

Last edited:
Will be more helpful if you can give some pointers. Interested to know

LOL! Absinthe when taken in very large quantities is a hallucinogenic.
It was banned in France and some other countries in the 1920s.

There was a time when it was taken as a malaria deterrent like quinine.
British Army officers used to mix it with gin to make it more compatible.
Hence the "bitters" we have now as a popular addition to gin & tonic.

Anyway you don't have to worry about absinthe now.

Regards.

I particularly liked Dalwhinnie as long as I had the 15-year old bottle. Amongst the peated ones I like Laproigh.

And recently I got my hands on a Balvenie 12-year old triple cask; must say it was really good.

I picked up these in duty free on a recent overseas trip. The 18 yr old was really superb. I plan to pick up 2 more when I return to India.
Cheers,
Sid

Attachments

• IMG_20170606_184959.jpg
    IMG_20170606_184959.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_20170610_210207.jpg
    IMG_20170610_210207.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 127
I picked up a couple of bottles of my favourite tipple Martell Brandy from Heathrow Airport Duty free 2 days ago.

I noticed that they also had some VSOP ones at 4 x the price, never tried them wonder if they are worth the price, do they taste much more refined?

Hi George,

Great to see you enjoying your trip!
While you are stateside take a sampling of the local bourbons or whiskeys.

Buffalo Trace or Forty Creek are nice for easy drinking.
Try out Templeton's Rye (supposedly Al Capone's favorite tipple)

Jefferson's Ocean and/or Jefferson's Reserve ... top class.
Jefferson's Presidential might be on par with a Pappy Van Winkles Family Reserve 20yr. Expensive too!

Regards.

Nikhil, that's quite some connoisseurship!

Recently tried a Taiwanese Single Malt Ka Va Lan, and would highly recommend it.

View attachment 23284

Last edited:
I tried this last evening. To be honest I could not tell much difference between this and the glenfiddich 12 year old. Definitely not worth the $120 difference imo (plus all the older bottles are available only in 750ml even in duty free).
Cheers,
Sid

Attachments

• IMG_20170629_193806 (1).jpg
    IMG_20170629_193806 (1).jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 148
ad30625a55e33756168705595fdc5089.jpg

Had Aberfeldy earlier, don't have any clue about the other one (Bunnahbain), any experiences?

Anyways, the Favorite song currently playing is..
"Australia se aaya mera dost..."[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got an unopened bottle of Bunnahabbhain 18 supposed to be very good. Had a single malt blind tasting session with friends last week, Aberlour 12 and Macallan 12 along with Laphroiag 10 were highly appreciated. Ardbeg, Glenlivet and Caol Ila were very peaty and not quite as much preferred. Next session has another 6 lined up, including Singleton, Jura, Balvenie, Glenmorangie, Cardhu and Bunnahabbhain.

I've got an unopened bottle of Bunnahabbhain 18 supposed to be very good. Had a single malt blind tasting session with friends last week, Aberlour 12 and Macallan 12 along with Laphroiag 10 were highly appreciated. Ardbeg, Glenlivet and Caol Ila were very peaty and not quite as much preferred. Next session has another 6 lined up, including Singleton, Jura, Balvenie, Glenmorangie, Cardhu and Bunnahabbhain.

If you like Aberlour, please try the cask strength A'bunadh. It is just fabulous. One of my all time favorites.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back