Any single malt afficionados here?

Though I am a complete teetotaler found these bottles while spring cleaning...there is another suitcase that's unopened with what presumably are kindred spirits..

Send them over here if they need some company!
That Hibiki in there is something special. Have been enjoying it immensely.

Available throughout Hyderabad. 3200 for brilliance, I think the peated ones are 3400 and 4000.
Cheers,
Sid
Ah! I need to try once. BTW, I saw Amrut and Rampur Single Malts in Hyderabad International Airport duty free. Couldn't pickup as I was a domestic passenger. In any case, they were costing 5.5k which I think is rather steep.

Ah! I need to try once. BTW, I saw Amrut and Rampur Single Malts in Hyderabad International Airport duty free. Couldn't pickup as I was a domestic passenger. In any case, they were costing 5.5k which I think is rather steep.
I am not an expert by any means but to me Paul John Brilliance is better than Amrut Fusion. Haven't tried Rampur yet.
Cheers,
Sid

Discussing malt in the morning....
MEN WILL BE MEN

(sorry, couldn't resist the dig, no offence meant)
Hey it may be morning here. But it's evening somewhere else.
Malt discussion has no time zone limits ;)
Cheers (this time literally),
Raghu

Thanks to this thread, I discovered Rampur. I have only had Amrut till now and that too only once. It is decent. Honestly makes India proud for going after quality rather than price.

A couple of standouts that have no business tasting this good. First one is Glenfarclas 12. I rate this much higher than heavyweights like Macallan 12. It has a ton of flavor for being a non-peaty (non-Islay) whiskey and is also sweet so is one of the best whiskeys to be sipped neat or with a tablespoon of water.

The second one is Bowmore 10 (picked it up in India duty free). I have had the non-aged version of Bowmore before and like the Ardbergs or Laphroaigs of the world, the non-aged one is peaty but also a bit harsh. Or as they joke, like licking the underside of your car. But boy was I wrong about the 10 year old one. This is one whiskey that highlights why the process of barrel aging makes whiskey so much better. It is smooth and refined and does have that characteristic smokey/peaty flavor but it is only mild and not overbearing. I will warn you that it does have a very unique character of its own. It has been a while since I have had Lagavulin 16 which many say sets the benchmark for Islay malts. Obviously Bowmore 10 is not still in that class. But it has a very unique flavor and drinking experience of its own. Firstly, it is deeply dark in color which in itself sets it apart. Like it or hate it, but you will remember this whiskey. I personally enjoyed it. I bought it because I was getting a decent price for a 1 liter bottle and also had low expectations but considering that, I enjoyed it more than I was expecting.

I have had the non-aged version of Bowmore before and like the Ardbergs or Laphroaigs of the world, the non-aged one is peaty but also a bit harsh. Or as they joke, like licking the underside of your car. But boy was I wrong about the 10 year old one. This is one whiskey that highlights why the process of barrel aging makes whiskey so much better. It is smooth and refined and does have that characteristic smokey/peaty flavor but it is only mild and not overbearing. I will warn you that it does have a very unique character of its own. It has been a while since I have had Lagavulin 16 which many say sets the benchmark for Islay malts. Obviously Bowmore 10 is not still in that class. But it has a very unique flavor and drinking experience of its own. Firstly, it is deeply dark in color which in itself sets it apart. Like it or hate it, but you will remember this whiskey.
You nailed it. Exactly my thoughts too. Only, I'm not sure of the huge class difference between the Bowmore and Lagavulin.

but to me Paul John Brilliance is better than Amrut Fusion.

Totally agree. The peated Amrut is nice but Fusion is pretty dire. Paul John certainly deserves a wider audience.
Also agree with the positive comments on Bowmore. I’ve only tried the 15 which is one of the most under appreciated Islays. Keen to check out the 10 now.
Someone mentioned getting tired of peaty malts and I know where you’re coming from. While Lagavulin and Caol Ila are my all time favorites, it’s nice to mix it up occasionally. For a completely different take, I usually go for Balvenie, Hibiki or Auchentoshan Heartwood. And there are some great non single malts that also go down well neat: Bushmills tops that list.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back