APC UPS/Optoma HD20 not working

m.a.sara

Hi,

I have paired this model APC BR600 (360W ) costing 2.5k to my optoma HD20.

But when the power goes off, PJ also went suddenly off. Rated Watts for HD20 are 254W(std), 305W(bright mode).

I made a complaint to APC and technician came and did below tests.

- Mains off, UPS on -> we switched on the PJ, PJ went live without any issues.
- Then we switched the mains on. After few minutes switched the mains off, both UPS and PJ went off with UPS sounding overloading alarm.

wondering how PJ switched on with mains off/UPS on (step 1) if this can be overloading issue.

Now the technician measured the voltage in these scenarios.

- Mains on/UPS on, meter reading is 235V.
- Mains off/UPS on, meter reading is 160V

I think optoma HD20 needs minimum 180V hence my UPS not able to support it. APC technician suggested to go for BR1000 or BR1100 having 1kva/1.1kva. He said both models will have minimum 200V when the power goes off (instead of 160V my current UPS has).

I need to confirm by measuring the same before going for it.

FM's(especially HD20 owners) - can you please let me know the UPS that are using and working great? My PJ is switched off without backup for about 3 times so far and I am already worried:mad:

rg,
saravanan

Hi M.A.Sara,

PJ when switched on draws high current for a few seconds for the bulb to be triggered, you have be careful in choosing UPS .Watchout Your bulb will be first fatality if the power flickers and erratic power backup support. Let me check and let you know.

m.a.sara,

i faced the same issue when i tested my BenQ W1100 with APC BR600, i was able to switch on the PJ thru the UPS (Mains off)....Then i switched the mains on and after few minutes switched the mains off, both UPS and PJ went off with UPS sounding overloading alarm.

I then bought ICE 1000VA UPS for 3500Rs. It comes with 2 years warranty. The dealer suggested to go for ICE brand as the cost for replacing battery (after warranty period) would be cheaper than APC. Now this PJ is able to handle my PJ load during power cut.....

Hi,

I have paired this model APC BR600 (360W ) costing 2.5k to my optoma HD20.

But when the power goes off, PJ also went suddenly off. Rated Watts for HD20 are 254W(std), 305W(bright mode).

I made a complaint to APC and technician came and did below tests.

- Mains off, UPS on -> we switched on the PJ, PJ went live without any issues.
- Then we switched the mains on. After few minutes switched the mains off, both UPS and PJ went off with UPS sounding overloading alarm.

wondering how PJ switched on with mains off/UPS on (step 1) if this can be overloading issue.

Now the technician measured the voltage in these scenarios.

- Mains on/UPS on, meter reading is 235V.
- Mains off/UPS on, meter reading is 160V

I think optoma HD20 needs minimum 180V hence my UPS not able to support it. APC technician suggested to go for BR1000 or BR1100 having 1kva/1.1kva. He said both models will have minimum 200V when the power goes off (instead of 160V my current UPS has).

I need to confirm by measuring the same before going for it.

FM's(especially HD20 owners) - can you please let me know the UPS that are using and working great? My PJ is switched off without backup for about 3 times so far and I am already worried:mad:

rg,
saravanan

The technician has not explained it right. As far as I understand the UPS you have will measure around 160V on battery in with normal voltmeters, as its output is stepped sine wave. A true RMS Voltmeter will show 220v.

Probably the Optoma does not like the stepped sine wave. That's would be the reason and not 160v output.

Just buy a UPS with pure sine wave output and maybe at least 750va to be safe.

The technician has not explained it right. As far as I understand the UPS you have will measure around 160V on battery in with normal voltmeters, as its output is stepped sine wave. A true RMS Voltmeter will show 220v.

Probably the Optoma does not like the stepped sine wave. That's would be the reason and not 160v output.

Just buy a UPS with pure sine wave output and maybe at least 750va to be safe.

I have seen in the forum that APC stepped up sine wave ups(BR1000VA model) has worked for optoma HD20 model. so hoping it would be sufficient.

The dealer from whom I have bought this will take back my current one (after deducting 400Rs) and give me BR1000 (rate yet to be finalized). I will check the new model with my PJ before buying it.

m.a.sara,

APC BR1000VA will be costlier than BR1100VA. So please check on the pricing before you place the order. In chennai BR1100VA (1.1KV) is sold for Rs. 5250 and BR1000VA (1.0KV) is sold for Rs.7200.

Seems the pricing was not revised for BR1000VA after BR1100VA was introduced into market...

Quick suggestion, go for any good sine wave online ups rather than offline.1 kV would suffice

Oak

m.a.sara,

APC BR1000VA will be costlier than BR1100VA. So please check on the pricing before you place the order. In chennai BR1100VA (1.1KV) is sold for Rs. 5250 and BR1000VA (1.0KV) is sold for Rs.7200.

Seems the pricing was not revised for BR1000VA after BR1100VA was introduced into market...

Bangalore price for BR1100 = 5750, BR1000 = 8000(this is BR1000GI, a replacement for BR1000CI).

I am going for BR1100. Since its a buy back option, i have to go with the same dealer (ceeba systems). delivery today/tmro. I will connect this to my PJ and test it before giving him the cash:)

BR1100 is not a sine wave i think but stepped up sine wave. Will this work with PJ's or only pure sine will do?

Just some FYI..

From APC technical support they suggested to go for pure sine wave.

the delay time for types of UPS are(according to them),
Pure sine wave - zero milli sec
Line interactive - zero to 4ms
offline - 4ms to 8ms

I have read some where that PJ's need around 10-12ms (not sure if it differs with diff PJ models). so any offline ups should also be sufficient I feel (as other FM's are also using offline and its working).

Just some FYI..

From APC technical support they suggested to go for pure sine wave.

the delay time for types of UPS are(according to them),
Pure sine wave - zero milli sec
Line interactive - zero to 4ms
offline - 4ms to 8ms

I have read some where that PJ's need around 10-12ms (not sure if it differs with diff PJ models). so any offline ups should also be sufficient I feel (as other FM's are also using offline and its working).

I don't think line interactive/offline and pure sine are mutually exclusive. I have a line interactive with sine output.

Either way ask for a sine wave UPS.

Edit: I see that BR1100 is also line interactive as per APC website, so going by other members experience it should also be fine.

Last edited:
Bangalore price for BR1100 = 5750, BR1000 = 8000(this is BR1000GI, a replacement for BR1000CI).

I am going for BR1100. Since its a buy back option, i have to go with the same dealer (ceeba systems). delivery today/tmro. I will connect this to my PJ and test it before giving him the cash:)

BR1100 is not a sine wave i think but stepped up sine wave. Will this work with PJ's or only pure sine will do?

BR1100 will work fine. I have been using the same with my HD 20 for over 2 years never had any issues, will recommend to go for the same.

Yes, BR1100 was delivered today evening and HD20 is working without any issues :). Cieba system replaced it with BR600. Costed me 5.8K.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back