Apple tv or playon mini

jadoo3

decided to buy a pohd mni & transfered the amount.but due to some reasonst the payment is not succeded & got reply from aqrtonis today.but before going to transfer it once again,heard an offfer in hifivision from n.v trading that they have 2 pieces of apple tv left at a price range below than mini.so members nee dadvice on following things

1.which is better

2.is firmware update is possible for apple tv?

3.did it support hd audio output(dts,dolby stuffs?)

4.did play all files which playon plays?did it supports ntfs & fat?

need your replys

Go for the mini as the apple tv only does 720p while the playon mini can do full hd (1080p) and also the hd audio formats. POHD Mini will make life simpler too as it is not married to iTunes or similar.

If you want something for lesser, check with aqtronics for availability of POHD essential. It is a fanless design like the mini and has everything minus the networking capabilities.

The New Apple TV is a piece of Junk and outdated hardware which needs itunes running on a computer to work. Also it doesn't suppport any HD audio formats and does only 720P. Whereas POH is a full fledged media player which will play every format thrown at it independently. One of the biggest disadvantage of Apple Tv for us Indians is that we can not rent or buy movies from Itunes unless and untill you have a US or UK credit cards.

advantages of appletv

1. ease of use and non intimidating ui. I am hoping my mother/ wife/ daughter shall be able to use. The remote has just 6 buttons - up/down/left/right/ ok/ back.
2. integration with ipod touch/ iphone - soon you should be able to play your music/ photos/ videos etc shot on iphone over wifi, without requiring to first sync with a comp or dock.

For me, 1 is very important. Only app that gets used at my house is youtube for watching nursery rhymes, cartoons etc. xtreamer was not being used despite being more feature rich. It was used only occasionally when I had time to watch a movie.

One disadvantage for audiophiles - unlike old appletv/ express all audio resampled at 48k as per posts on computer audiophile.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back