Bangalore Hifi meet 2011?

Few pics taken from my phone:

Antony's MTM speakers (DIY with Peerless drivers) being powered by gvenu's Acoustic Portrait amps and Exposure CDP
adeea612.jpg

74507cdd.jpg

Abhishek's demo
075d951d.jpg

88284a6d.jpg

14069d42.jpg

Jochen setting up his gear (a delight to watch how he handles his gear with care)
295c2501.jpg

It was wonderful and worthwhile Sunday!! Excellent arrangements and immense gratitude to all the organizers and host.

The zeal and the passion with the audio fraternity was very evident.

Thank you all :clapping:

Very nice, well worth the long trip to CMH road.

Hands down, the Einstein and Blumenhofer combination was oustanding. Everything that should be expected from artisanal components. Thanks Jochen, appreciate your time and effort. However, my sense was that they would excel at more realistic SPL levels, the music generally was being played too loud to allow anyone to judge a system's handling of subtlety. To its credit, the system never sounded shouty even when maxed out.

A couple of suggestions for the next such meet:

1. Someone carry an SPL meter and limit the levels so listeners can appreciate what it sounds like at realistic SPL levels. I will admit I was fatigued a bit.

2. I know that we ought to play the same tracks to make it comparable, but a DIYer tailors the speakers to sound best with certain types of music/recordings. DIYers should be allowed to bring their own.

Looks like there was a full house....

I wish I was there... Guys plz upload some more pics (if any taken this Sunday). I surely missed to watch the Gears...

Hope you guys organize a similar event within this year!!!

Cheers...

Thanks to all the organizers for the great session. A day well spent in the midst of knowledgeable audio enthusiasts. Looking forward to the DIY workshop which George mentioned about.

******* Again Thank You All *******

Hello pals ... during the 2011 meet this Sunday our HFV family member Sajith Mathew shared a secret with me that he robbed almost all the banks to buy his ATC SCM40 speakers ... & now ... have a look at this snap ...

He seems to be seriously planning to rob the World Bank to grab the Einstein amp from Jochen & the Audio Aero Capitole CDP from Abhi ...

As a HFV family let us all together wish him success on his mission :lol: :clapping:

Attachments

• DSC_4078.jpg
    DSC_4078.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 154
Hi Sydney

Considering that about 7 months elapsed from the date of the opening post until the day of the Bangalore Meet, I will counsel some patience for the diy workshop!

Let everyone savour the fun of Sunday and perhaps sometime in October or thereabouts we can plan the session. Maybe we can open a thread around mid/end September and take it from there. I dont know when the Pooja holidays and Diwali comes this year, we will need to work around those holidays.

Cheers

Thanks to all the organizers for the great session. A day well spent in the midst of knowledgeable audio enthusiasts. Looking forward to the DIY workshop which George mentioned about.

******* Again Thank You All *******

Hello pals ... during the 2011 meet this Sunday our HFV family member Sajith Mathew shared a secret with me that he robbed almost all the banks to buy his ATC SCM40 speakers ... & now ... have a look at this snap ...

He seems to be seriously planning to rob the World Bank to grab the Einstein amp from Jochen & the Audio Aero Capitole CDP from Abhi ...

As a HFV family let us all together wish him success on his mission :lol: :clapping:

Yes, that looks like some serious contemplation to dig a tunnel under some bank ;)

Hi Friends,

It was indeed a wonderful experience attending and being a part of the Bangalore HiFi Meet. Great to meet all the attendees, and of course special thanks to Santhosh, George, the Anutone team and all who have put in so much of efforts to organize this meet so nicely.

It was really fabulous to see so many people with an intense passion for music and diy.

Thanks to all :)

However, my sense was that they would excel at more realistic SPL levels, the music generally was being played too loud to allow anyone to judge a system's handling of subtlety. To its credit, the system never sounded shouty even when maxed out.

A couple of suggestions for the next such meet:

1. Someone carry an SPL meter and limit the levels so listeners can appreciate what it sounds like at realistic SPL levels. I will admit I was fatigued a bit.

2. I know that we ought to play the same tracks to make it comparable, but a DIYer tailors the speakers to sound best with certain types of music/recordings. DIYers should be allowed to bring their own.

Very valid suggestions BOB and we should implement this in our next meet.

About the SPL problem, need everyone's input on how to manage expectations of a group with varied SPL preferences & thresholds - sitting in a largish room with varying SPL levels across the room.

Though we did not have a professional SPL meter, I was using my iPhone's SPL meter app to ensure that the SPL levels were ~75dB for the first few minutes of every setup @ 7mts from the speakers and signalling to the person handling the system. This was to ensure that we don't judge the systems on SPL levels (especially while listening critically, loud is perceived as better most often than not). After that participants could ask for their preferred volume level. Many times, we asked if participants were comfortable with the SPL levels and my assumption was that those sitting in front were those with higher SPL tolerances for I could not sit there for more than 5 mins and moved to the back of the room where I was comfortable.

Completely agree on the DIYer/commercial members playing their own CDs atleast 3 to 4 tracks. Afterall, every system excels in certain genre(s). We'll keep this in mind in future meets.

I agree with BOB-I moved to the rear of the room sometime during the course of the first audition because I felt the volume was a bit loud. Anilva also moved to the rear.

I think it's not easy to have multiple track selections during a session like this, though there may be some way out-for future sessions. There may be some take aways from this meeting that we may want to note down by way of constructive feedback, to ensure that the next time around we make it even better!

From my perspective the opportunity to put a face to a name/handle was useful, as also the discovery that we have a great sponsor, hopefully we can put Anutone's place to good use again. (Raghu thanks for the assistance in making this a great event, and please pass our thanks to Sandeep Mittal for his encouragement)

The bonhomie and goodwill among all attendees/participants was to be seen to be believed, and it definitely augurs well for future events like this.

Cheers

From my perspective the opportunity to put a face to a name/handle was useful, as also the discovery that we have a great sponsor, hopefully we can put Anutone's place to good use again. (Raghu thanks for the assistance in making this a great event, and please pass our thanks to Sandeep Mittal for his encouragement)

The bonhomie and goodwill among all attendees/participants was to be seen to be believed, and it definitely augurs well for future events like this.

Cheers

I echo a similar feeling. These sessions cannot be for any serious listening/auditioning of systems. They would probably preview of how they sound compared to others, because none of the setups are optimized for their placement requirements nor designed to perform to so many people sitting in a room. Also given the fact that each setup was done under 15 minutes, they can at best be termed non-optimized setups. If a particular system arouses curiosity, then a regular audition could be obtained from the vendor/retailer.

Bigger purpose is ofcourse getting to know people behind different monikers we are used to dealing with on the HFV forum.

I am quite happy that many people who turned up at the meet are into DIY and we definitely need a more dedicated session/discussion to address varied interests of DIYers. Looking at TJ Antony's MTMs, my belief is reinforced that one can obtain very high level of DIY speaker finish, if there is pursuit. They are quite stunning!

Thanks for all the arrangements to Santhosh & the gang and Anutone for great hospitality.

Cheers.

I agree with BOB-I moved to the rear of the room sometime during the course of the first audition because I felt the volume was a bit loud. Anilva also moved to the rear.

I think it's not easy to have multiple track selections during a session like this, though there may be some way out-for future sessions. There may be some take aways from this meeting that we may want to note down by way of constructive feedback, to ensure that the next time around we make it even better!

Cheers

I also felt that the volume was a bit loud. While listening to System #3 it was better at the rear of the room but the bass was more pronounced. Moving up to the center of the room, the bass reduced considerably. This difference in bass levels reduced for system #4 or so I thought. Jochen had a wooden/plywood board to keep all his components and not sure if that was helping or it was the components.
In spite of that IMO it was good introductions to those components.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Cheers

Thank you Geroge.
Yes we need to improve on lots of things in the next meet.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back