Blackberry Curve 8300

srikarkav

Hi Guys,

Got a new Blackberry Curve 8300 from eaby India with a three years replacement warranty.Its a gift from me to my son who got placed in the college campus last week.Set me back by 8.5K.Its retailing for 11.5k in Univercell before VAT.The transaction through ebay was a pleasant one.Got the phone, through Aramex ,from the seller the next day i made the payment.It was bubble packed and arrived in excellent condition.It is an unlocked phone and worked out of the box with the Vodafone sim card of my son.It has a track ball same as on the Pearl version and very easy to navigate.The battery back up is very good too.It has 2.5 inch corner to corner screen.OS is from BB itself.

Apart form all the goodies the BB brings, this neat little phone has a 2 MP camera with a flash and a Media Player.It has 3.5 mm jack for headphone.Its obvious the BB is trying to attract youngsters to its fold.The most significant aspect of this is that the BlackBerrry Desktop Manager includes for the first time a Media Manager. This is based around Roxio software from Sonic.The head phone that comes along with it sucks big time though.But music through the Ipod touch headphone sounds very detailed and musical.There is no fatigue even after hearing music for some stretch of time. It lacks 3G and wifi though.The keys of qwerty pad is well placed and easy to use.For its size the phone is surprisingly light.For a phone that sports a qwerty in candy bar form its neither unwieldy nor too small.It nestles in the palm comfortably.

Multi tasking is very easy on the phone.It is not at all sluggish but very fast in responding to the key commands.Can support upto 4GB of Micro SD.Can't capture video though.But videos can be watched with the default media player and display is superb.The screen adjusts itself according to the light.The blue tooth is a little mystery.Can't transfer music files form my Nokia mobile.Nokia says the connection failed.Any ideas? I think music on the phone can be played through any blue tooth enabled music devices.

As usual the messaging and email functions are a breeze with this BB too.You can delete the mails from the phone or from the server itself. The phone has a messenger too which may prove very useful when you are on the move.

In short i think for the money paid, this is a cool little phone, light and easy to use, with a camera and a media player thrown as a bonus by Blackberry.

cheers,
sri

Attachments

• blackberry-curve-8300.jpg
    blackberry-curve-8300.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Hi,

As far as I heard, blackberry makes good biz phones and should be a perfect gift for your son, for his achievement.

Wish you good luck and Godspeed, Karthick.

I caught this mobile fever a week back and have been constantly bothering Srini and Teky about finding one (as usual). But wherever I go and whatever I finalize on, I tend to bounce back to the apple iphone 3gs! I have my eyes on HTC and blackberry as well. But I will be buying an iphone for sure!

Try pairing the device and that should solve the problem; this is a common problem with some models of nokia (I like this name) and other devices, especially the ones running on windows mobile. I had nokia n70 and had problems pairing it with ericcson. One of my staff has a korean mobile, which used to always beat n70 as far as the file transfer goes.

These apple guys tend to sell their phone at almost the same price throughout the world, very bad for guys like me!!!!:eek:hyeah:

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi Venkatesh,

My son will also settle for the Iphone finally i think.:) As he already has an Ipod touch i thought Blackberry would be a better choice.But for you youngsters the Iphone always holds some fascination i know.And thanks for your wishes.

BTW he is Karthik.:)

cheers,
sri

Congrats on the BB 8300 purchase. I think for this price, it is an excellent deal.
I had used the 7100G and then the 8300 for a very brief while before getting the Bold (9000). If other than making calls, mailing is the primary use, nothing can beat a BB. And the new BB models (Curve 8900, Bold 9000 and the newly launched Bold 9700) have also got excellent features like good media player, expandable (upto 16/32 GB) memory, 3G, WiFi, 3.2 MP camera. The WiFi feature in particular works very well. Also, the BlackberryApps have now been opened for India. I am yet to use it, but have heard from my colleagues that it has got cool apps. Also, some of the free apps like Gmail Mobile, Vlingo etc. work very well.
When your son upgrades to his next mobile, ask him to consider the new Bold 9700 or whatever is going to be the next version of the Bold.

The screen adjusts itself according to the light.The blue tooth is a little mystery.Can't transfer music files form my Nokia mobile.Nokia says the connection failed.Any ideas? I think music on the phone can be played through any blue tooth enabled music devices.

Hi Sri,

BlackBerry has been designed to be very secure and by default wont allow connections using Bluetooth. What you need to do is, navigate to the Media from the main screen, press the Blackberry button and you should get "Receive using bluetooth" after which the device listens for connections to transfer file. I know it is cumbersome, but thats the way blackberry works. Prior to this, ensure that your nokia device is paired with the BlackBerry and that it is trusted in the Device Options, under bluetooth of the blackberry device.

Instead of doing it the hard way, why dont you copy all the files from your nokia phone and transfer them via the cable to bluetooth.

Let me know if you need any more info..

Please post the seller details with the ebay link, as it will help other members in buying the product from him.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back