Bookshelf recommendation please

i switch amps quite often so I'm not sure if the terminals are the issue. I have tried both bi-wiring them and otherwise but haven't noticed any difference. Another thing of note is that the PM6006 is better at deep and loud bass than the SR6013 when you use the tone controls. The bass response of the Evo 4.2s become phenomenal and almost floorstanding like when you increase gain on the bass to the max.
Whoa!! That's not how I would use tone control.
Ideally, there should be no need to tinker.
If the need arises, it would be a couple of notches up or down depending on content/track

Cheers,
Raghu

Some dealers have advised me to get a high current amp which they have assured will beget better lower end excursion.
I too was using the SR6013, and had to turn the volume way up to get that bass. Adding a power amp made the difference in sound remarkable. I am hoping a dedicated preamp (on the hunt) will make it even better.

I too was using the SR6013, and had to turn the volume way up to get that bass. Adding a power amp made the difference in sound remarkable. I am hoping a dedicated preamp (on the hunt) will make it even better.
You seem to have the ZPre (as per signature).
How does it pair with A21?
Cheers,
Raghu

@DB1989 Ever since I have heard great things about kef q350 it has become my dream speakers. Same case with REL subs, but then I know that it is only an idle wish atleast in the case of REL. I too am using Marantz pm6006 and when you said 'It is a match made in heaven' I am greatly tempted to go for a pair of 350s and do you think I can make do without a sub if I go for the 350s. I am no bass head but love a full spectrum sound nevertheless.

@DB1989 Ever since I have heard great things about kef q350 it has become my dream speakers. Same case with REL subs, but then I know that it is only an idle wish atleast in the case of REL. I too am using Marantz pm6006 and when you said 'It is a match made in heaven' I am greatly tempted to go for a pair of 350s and do you think I can make do without a sub if I go for the 350s. I am no bass head but love a full spectrum sound nevertheless.
With correct placement, you can indeed dispense with a sub. But then again, that should not be a problem as experimenting with placement for bookshelves is far easier than floorstanders due to their size and weight. However, though i have complete faith in the abilities of the KEF, i would urge you to have an audition if possible considering how quite a few FMs (audiophiles) are not great fans of the KEF sound which, in turn, has led me to doubt whether its indeed the one size fits all speaker? It seems to be rather polarising where people either love it to bits or cant tolerate the metal dome tweeter (however, in so far as my experience is concerned, laymen have been blown away. You can refer to Tharbamars video on youtube about what to expect from the q350 and what it sounds like)

on the other hand, i think we have consensus on the REL.:p

Thats been the plan so far. Hope it works out. Will update once i finally get my hands on the power amp. It seems to be in transit for forever now.

I could be wrong but I somehow still feel that this is related to gain.
Is the power amp in use connected in a decoupled mode? - the volume control on the second amp should be non-functional

Which power amp did you go for eventually ?
NAD C275BEE so far. My dealer is rather accommodating so i can resile from it if i get a better option. He’ll just have to find a different customer for it.

Whoa!! That's not how I would use tone control.
Ideally, there should be no need to tinker.
If the need arises, it would be a couple of notches up or down depending on content/track

Cheers,
Raghu
I usually play my speakers (Q350, S5s and A26s) in pure direct mode. Not the Wharfies though. They really benefit from the bass knob turned to the max without experiencing hardening of any frequencies or the mid range and treble being overpowered. This is one coloured presentation that really works for most types of music as far as the Wharfies are concerned (always the caveat - to my ears).

The SR6013 was the preamp, and I was using its volume control.
What I meant was that moving the amp volume control while the 6013 acts as the preamp should have no effect on the speaker volumes.
If the power amp has a pre-amp and it is not decoupled from the setup then ensuring the total system gain is not out of whack is a pretty involved process

Last edited:
If the power amp has a pre-amp
The power amp in my case is the Parasound A21, and it does not have a preamp. It does have a separate Gain knob for each of the L&R power channels though. And Parasound owner’s manual recommends to keep those knobs at max unless pairing with a high gain preamp.

The power amp in my case is the Parasound A21, and it does not have a preamp. It does have a separate Gain knob for each of the L&R power channels though. And Parasound owner’s manual recommends to keep those knobs at max unless pairing with a high gain preamp.
Same here for the crown as well as the pm6006. The SR6013 acts as the preamp section. However, i have modulated the gains in both amps (and not kept them at max) in order to match the output of the surrounds.

Talking about Crown here, can this be added to the Zone 2 as power amp for Stereo Listening on Denon 2600?

Its the first time I read that word. Had to check the meaning. Thanks for adding to my vocabulary. Does it have the same etymology as resilience?
Ha ha. I have no idea but i would think not if i consider the meanings of these two words. Haven’t ever delved or put serious thought into the etymology of words.

Ha ha. I have no idea but i would think not if i consider the meanings of these two words. Haven’t ever delved or put serious thought into the etymology of words.

As a matter of fact, they have (the same etymological root. Latin: re+salire). Was worth checking.

As a matter of fact, they have (the same etymological root. Latin: re+salire). Was worth checking.
Interesting. I will have to keep an eye out for the etymology of words from now on! :D

@SSlovesmusic
Just checking if you are still in this thread :)
I’m in a similar boat for a choice of speakers for personal listening primarily for rock n roll and blues style genre (60s 70s rock). A lot of the options you listed were also on my list. Planning to audition them in mumbai over the next few days/weeks.
Let us know where you are with search now.
cheers

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back