Build the perfect home theater system

denzong

HI All,

i have come over the beginners HT system and want to upgrade from my Yamaha system (as in the signature)

now i need to build it the right mix. i am more of a music guy then a movies but yes movies are also integral part. most of my music is flacs. i am not trying to build a multi dollar system here but something decent enough.

Some pointers for which i need help:

1. Should i go in for a Stereo Amplifier or a AV Receiver. Whats the major difference and what should i look to also in that specifics. Since this a new system i am building and dont want to change frequently i would want a system which would give me 1080p, pro logix, dolby digital, dts, dolby digital +, dolby true hd, dts master audio, hd audio, hdmi, coaxial (new / old in good condition i am ok)

2. Should i go in for a HT speaker system or build it separately. i surely want floor speakers and then good surround speakers. (name, price points, etc.)

i am already buying the PlayOn HD media player for most of the playing sessions. Blu ray might be bought but later. wiring is also something i would like to take up.

main areas to think is the above two points.

would request the seniors and more experienced peoples suggestions

would request help from all seniors to guide me as a novice here.

Thanking all, regards

For music stereo system is the 1st choice.
For HT setup,you can build seperately if Budget permits.
You can choose Denon,Marantz & Yamaha AVR as midway(mov + music) with good speakers.

what kinda speakers are we talking here. should i buy the bundled one or build it separately

also when you talk about stereo system then what should i be looking at

Now Budget is IMP.What it yours?
Hififmart is saling MA BR2 for 29k which are very good for music.Similarly wharfedale are working good with mov & music.Another option is Tannoy f1 & so on.
Decide on spk 1st & then rest can be matched.

now i need to build it the right mix. i am more of a music guy then a movies but yes movies are also integral part. most of my music is flacs. i am not trying to build a multi dollar system here but something decent enough.

1. Should i go in for a Stereo Amplifier or a AV Receiver. Whats the major difference and what should i look to also in that specifics. Since this a new system i am building and dont want to change frequently i would want a system which would give me 1080p, pro logix, dolby digital, dts, dolby digital +, dolby true hd, dts master audio, hd audio, hdmi, coaxial (new / old in good condition i am ok)

2. Should i go in for a HT speaker system or build it separately. i surely want floor speakers and then good surround speakers. (name, price points, etc.)

You have a number of contradictory requirements that will never be met with a single system.

Let us look at what you want and see how you can fulfill them.

1. You want a system with 1080P etc. This is obviously a HT system - either 5.1 or 7.1. When you want to use this for music, there will be a compromise.

2. You are a music guy. The best would be to get a decent two channel system with a CD Player, an integrated two channel amp, and a speaker pair. With this you will not 1080P etc, nor be able to decode all those Dolby and other codecs.

3. Most of your music is in FLACs. Any media player that you use will suck at playing FLACs. The best would be to get a carefully chosen external DAC and use that to play your music. This can of course be fed to am AVR or to a two channel system.

If you are really serious about music, and want HT at the same time, you have to shell out some serious money and look for AVR from the likes of Arcam, NAD etc. We are talking about a few lakhs here.

The other option is to have two independent systems - one dedicated for music and the other for HT. In any case you are again talking about at least 1.5 to 2.0 lakhs.

Make up your mind.

Cheers

You have a number of contradictory requirements that will never be met with a single system.

1. You want a system with 1080P etc. This is obviously a HT system - either 5.1 or 7.1. When you want to use this for music, there will be a compromise.

2. You are a music guy. The best would be to get a decent two channel system with a CD Player, an integrated two channel amp, and a speaker pair. With this you will not 1080P etc, nor be able to decode all those Dolby and other codecs.

3. Most of your music is in FLACs. Any media player that you use will suck at playing FLACs. The best would be to get a carefully chosen external DAC and use that to play your music. This can of course be fed to am AVR or to a two channel system.

If you are really serious about music, and want HT at the same time, you have to shell out some serious money and look for AVR from the likes of Arcam, NAD etc. We are talking about a few lakhs here.

The other option is to have two independent systems - one dedicated for music and the other for HT. In any case you are again talking about at least 1.5 to 2.0 lakhs.

Make up your mind.

Cheers

1. i am not to keen on this part. i can forgot the 1080p for a while.

2. can you please suggest me options for this as this is priority. prices and sources

3. again please some suggestions would be very helpful along with the prices and the source

i am trying to build this over a period of time so i am ok with the price options (including good used pieces)

2. can you please suggest me options for this as this is priority. prices and sources

3. again please some suggestions would be very helpful along with the prices and the source

i am trying to build this over a period of time so i am ok with the price options (including good used pieces)

Budget, my friend. No one can suggest anything without knowing what your budget is.

Cheers

Make up your mind.

Cheers

Budget, my friend. No one can suggest anything without knowing what your budget is.

Cheers

already stated that 1.5 lacs is not an issue

my room size is almost 30x40ft... yes it shares my living space
but i also have a 15x15 room all for myself

i am currently using a Pana 32 LCD, plan to take a projector or a plasma 50

Ok, let us look at your requirement and see how we can fulfill it.

Assumption - Music only with FLAC as a source.

Option 1.

(a) DAC - CA, Beresford, etc. = 25K
(b) 2 channel Amplifier - NAD, Marantz, Rotel, Creek, Arcam etc. = 50K
(c) Speaker pair - PSB, AE, Dynaudio, Quad, etc. = 50 to 75K
(d) Cables, ICs etc = 15K.

Option 2.

You can replace the 2 channel amplifier with an AVR such as Denon, Onkyo, or Yamaha IF and only IF you like the sound. That way you can build a 5.1/7/1 system over time.

Now the important part. I have given you some pointers. Go out into the road, and start auditioning. Shortlist your speakers and amplifiers, and then we can decide which amongst the short listed ones are good.

Cheers

Option 1.

Option 2.

You can replace the 2 channel amplifier with an AVR such as Denon, Onkyo, or Yamaha IF and only IF you like the sound. That way you can build a 5.1/7/1 system over time.

Now the important part. I have given you some pointers. Go out into the road, and start auditioning. Shortlist your speakers and amplifiers, and then we can decide which amongst the short listed ones are good.

Cheers

really helpful i must say.gives me a start :clapping:

Option 1.

Option 2.

Cheers

Venkat, how abt CA's AZur 650R. which can suffice both 7.1 and has a integrated stereo DAC. Maybe only feed an external DAC like CA, Beresford for Music. Offcourse its a bit expensive though!

Your opinions Sir !!!..

~Vince

Last edited:
Venkat, how abt CA's AZur 650R. which can suffice both 7.1 and has a stereo intergrated amp. Maybe only feed an external DAC like CA, Beresford for Music.

Sure, that is also a good AVR. I like the sound of CA, bu many people don't. I have not heard the 650R, but if it sound anywhere close to their two channel amps, it will be good. A long time ago I had heard the 650 two channel amp connected to a pair of Quads, and the sound was very, very good. I am afraid that was all my experience with CA.

Cheers

Denzong, you live in Mumbai, and there is a thread with all dealer names and addresses. In addition if you go to the website of the brands, you will get all details.

Cheers

can i buy a norge amp to begin with to get the hang of music.

also can i pair and amp with my existing avr so that i can use common speakers.

i want all the setup to come up in my living room cause i do not want to have a separate system for other room.

therefore can i buy floor speakers, good central, sub woofer and then surround speakers. can i integrate the amp + avr + speakers + tape deck + phono + turn table + media player together

also if i take an amp do i need a separate photo stage for my turntable

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back