Building a Home Theater & Listening Room

Hi Decadent_Spectre,

The acoustic design has to be done after the slab is on. I am consulting Jignesh Khatiwala of Absolute Sound for acoustic treatment solution.

:thumbsup: for Jignesh :)
One of the best in the industry who has great practical experience behind him. How did you manage to get in touch with him?

@hydrovac, what is your gear? Are you evaluating new or you have them already? Please let us know

hydrovac, this seems an interesting concept and I am very much interested as I also have roof rights to my flat but permanent construction is not allowed as its the 2nd floor. So this might be a solution. I am googling more on this as I write this post, how ever can you share some more points on this.

1. prefab thing, does it seem suitable for a home theater kind of construction.
2. The 130 rs psf, what does it include. just bare 4 walls, roof and floor or anything else ... ?

I might have more queries as and when I feel this might be what I was looking for.

Hi sam9s,

Yes, prefab is the ideal solution where conventional methods are not possible.
Prefab Panels do not transmit water or moisture. However, for better water proofing and protection of panel walls, a coat of alkaline resistant primers may be applied.
The cost includes material and erection of wall panels only. You have to provide the MS skeleton structure. I am planning a composite slab for roof.

Cheers

Hi hydrovac I got in touch with one of the pre fab manufacturers in delhi ....

Portacabin Delhi, Prefab Portacabin manufacturer in Delhi - Portable Products

He has quoted me a price of 600 PSF, just for walls and paint, meaning just the basic skeleton. This is much higher compared to 130 pqf you mentioned. I just want to know what could be difference. He said he would be using something called GI sheets for walls filled with thermacole for insulation. Can you shed some more ligh as to what all material your manufacturer used, or maybe if its possible I can call you. If its ok PM me your number.

Last edited:
Also can you share more snaps as to how your room has shaped up now. How did you manage to cover the frames on the roof. I know lot of questions, but I am seriously looking in to this option so any help would be really great,,

@hydrovac, what is your gear? Are you evaluating new or you have them already? Please let us know

Sash,

The gear I was using in my HT:

Epson EMP-TW2000 1080P Projector
Panoview 106 16:9 Matt White Screen
Marantz SR-6004 AV Receiver
Sony BDP-S300 Bluray Player
Toshiba HDA2 HD DVD
Denon DVD1930 DVD Player
Dali Concept 1 Front L/R, Rear L/R, Dali Concept Center
Velodyne CHT-15R Subwoofer

I am evaluating a custom DIY setup for the new room.

Cheers

Hi hydrovac I got in touch with one of the pre fab manufacturers in delhi ....

Portacabin Delhi, Prefab Portacabin manufacturer in Delhi - Portable Products

He has quoted me a price of 600 PSF, just for walls and paint, meaning just the basic skeleton. This is much higher compared to 130 pqf you mentioned. I just want to know what could be difference. He said he would be using something called GI sheets for walls filled with thermacole for insulation. Can you shed some more ligh as to what all material your manufacturer used, or maybe if its possible I can call you. If its ok PM me your number.

Hi sam9s,

He must have quoted for metal faced PUF panels. Please check this.
Wall panels manufacturing, Wall Panel Manufacturer, Green building blocks, Fiber Cement Flat Boards, fibre cement flat sheets

I am waiting for the composite decking sheet to be delivered and fixed.
I will update soon.

Cheers

HI Hydro,

Any update on your construction. I have decided to stick with HIL Delhi distributor, (thanks for the link), he has yet to quote a final price but for walls , steel frames, basic inner work, and basic electricals, he says would be around 350/SQF, excluding flooring. What do say about this.

Also I am very much concerned about weather proofing, specially rain water, though he has provided enough assurance, I am a bit sceptical as there would be joints everywhere to bring up the structure. Please share your thought over it. Seriously need some guidance and advice.

Regards
Sammy

Hi sam9s,

I have used only prefab wall panels. You are referring to complete prefab room cost.
Wall panels come with a unique tongue and groove jointing System which prevents leakage. The fiber reinforced sheet makes them dimensionally stable and resistant to moisture/humidity. Any prefab structure needs weather proofing. That being said, to begin with, gaps, cracks, joints, or window and door openings should require attention.

Regards

OK Cool so if you are only going with prefab panels, how are you managing other activities, like paint and all, how about electricals. Also how are you planning to do the flooring and roof. and yes the cost is of total room construction, I just wanted to have an idea from you if it seems fesable 350 PQF for the things he said he would be covering.

Or shall I just go with prefab wall basic structure and then do all other activities by myself, which route have you taken.??

I know too many questions, but I guess you are the only and first one on this fourm to opt this prefab way to construct an HT .. :)

OK Cool so if you are only going with prefab panels, how are you managing other activities, like paint and all, how about electricals. Also how are you planning to do the flooring and roof. and yes the cost is of total room construction, I just wanted to have an idea from you if it seems fesable 350 PQF for the things he said he would be covering.

Or shall I just go with prefab wall basic structure and then do all other activities by myself, which route have you taken.??

I know too many questions, but I guess you are the only and first one on this fourm to opt this prefab way to construct an HT .. :)

I am not clear about the pricing you mentioned, whether it is for plinth area or for the peripheral area.
For roof I am going for composite slab. I got the steel trusses designed to take the load of 3" concrete slab. Need to do weather proofing for outer walls and leak proof for windows. Internal is pretty much standard stuff.

Regards

well, at last. after months of temporary standstill, waiting and planning.. it's been a while since I posted up on here and done my DIY build.. I decided a little update on progress and some pictures of the existing room, and my previous work.

The work has started already but not had time to post anything till now.... The 3 pics are of the composite decking sheet being fixed.... in fact as i type this...the plasterers are skimming the walls and pouring the concrete slab....

I will add more photos as the work progresses.

Nice, what are you planning to do about the reflections from the metal roof?

Manoj,

The room was ringing like a bell even before the roofing was on....! I guess the walls have to be treated first by some absorbing material.... I am planning for a layer of 48 density 1000x600x50 mm thick rock wool slabs to be fixed in wooden framing.

Treating roof is most important in your case, because it will vibrate and resonate. Just put the insulation material between the gap of supports and metal roof, cover it with cloth of your choice color. Treating all the roof with insulation will also keep the room maintain temperature better.

About walls, you need bass traps. Treat those in the corners. You can also look into membrane type bass traps which will absorb only lower frequencies. This won't absorb the high frequencies and still retain liveness of the music.

Last edited:
Hydro, interesting build you have going over there. I quite like the size of the room. A 25-foot long room is a good size. I think you mentioned earlier you are going for a 106" screen. I think you can get a larger screen size on that 12 feet wall. Have you thought about it. Insulate your roof well. I would recommend a false ceiling with sound-absorbing (the perforated kind) ceiling. With insulation above that. I would go with rockwool, provided it is easy to source where you live. Good for temperature and sound. Best of luck with the construction.

well finally hydrovac, I was wondering where you have been ... :). So good to know the work has finally commenced. :) Mean time even I have finally completed my HT. Check out my HT in my sig ... :)

Started laying of electrical, speaker and signal cables. The cabling work is being carried out by a local guy and someone from my work giving him a hand.

To reduce hum and noise I want to install a dedicated line with only a single ground from the audio / home theater system to the electrical service panel. Dont want to attach anything other than the A/ V system to this special dedicated line.

Expecting the result to be noise and hum free power with a 'deep black background'.

By this stage of the project, I have already identified the following :

Placement of all speakers
Placement of A/V components
Placement of video source
Lighting needs
Possible future enhancements
Thermal Insulation & Acoustic Treatment

BTW I have provided a frame alsofor supporting the screen.

I will try and post pics if there's interest...as soon as i work out how to do it....!!

I have all the kit i need already for thismix of new and from old lounge... not top end by any means...but works for me...

Treating roof is most important in your case, because it will vibrate and resonate. Just put the insulation material between the gap of supports and metal roof, cover it with cloth of your choice color. Treating all the roof with insulation will also keep the room maintain temperature better.

About walls, you need bass traps. Treat those in the corners. You can also look into membrane type bass traps which will absorb only lower frequencies. This won't absorb the high frequencies and still retain liveness of the music.

That is not just tin metal roof...a composite slab of 3" thk concrete above the decking sheet.
Anyways... I intend to do thermal insulation to the ceiling to cut down heat.
Bass treatment will be done after measuring the room.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back