Building a Home Theater & Listening Room

Hydro, interesting build you have going over there. I quite like the size of the room. A 25-foot long room is a good size. I think you mentioned earlier you are going for a 106" screen. I think you can get a larger screen size on that 12 feet wall. Have you thought about it. Insulate your roof well. I would recommend a false ceiling with sound-absorbing (the perforated kind) ceiling. With insulation above that. I would go with rockwool, provided it is easy to source where you live. Good for temperature and sound. Best of luck with the construction.

Thanks John,

The screen mentioned is from my old setup...I am planning for a much wider screen. Hoping to receive the insulating material today...will post updates.

Yes manoj,

The pic shows only the installation of decking sheets with embossing... haven't taken any photos while pouring the concrete... it was done on a sizzling mid summer afternoon:sad:

Will post some images of the finished composite slab.

Screen in 16:9 seems quite low. Where is your center speaker going to be?

....and it looks small for the room size , whats your intended screen diagonal ?

@Manoj
@sam9s

The steel is for supporting the screen frame and also to act as additional bracing to the prefab wall panels.

The old screen was kept aside for a very long time... just checking the retracting mechanism.

I am going for a 154 X 69 AT screen with 2.35:1 aspect ratiowhich will be 1 away from the front wall to accommodate behind the screen speakers.

AT? Very nice. So, I guess you plan to use the same speaker as L/C/R? You will love it.

Framing work completed and AV cabinet in place.cabling almost done but for one sub signal cable. Got 30 Rock wool bags delivered yesterday.
There was a leak from one point of the slab joint side. getting the pressure grouting done today.
Entry door to the theater on the left:

Bags containing Rock wool slabs:
AV cabinet built into the window:
Ceiling panels getting ready:

Insulation panels being fixed :

Ceiling Panels fixing:

Sorry for the OT .

What is the red flowery plant in the first picture . I liked your garden pictures more than the HT :sad:

i have the same question. What has gone on top of rookwool?
Also finally what will you face it with? Fabric? Just paint?

@manoj
@sash

For wall paneling I have used 4 mm MDF perforated board... and risers with rubber sandwich composite panels, which I got from a wooden scrap dealer.

Planning to cover the walls with acoustic fabric... seating and rest of the area with carpet.

Got few sample seats today... my folks liked the red one, the design part of it and not the fabric though. Actually it is wider by 2 and comfortable than the other two.

Decided to order seven seats with individual arm rests and different cloth material which I have to select.

Are you sure the raiser height is appropriate for the back row people to have a clear line to the screen? From the snap doesnt looks like

Great work ..... I would also like to insist you to go for a bigger Screen. What is the price of the recliner ?

Good progress. I think you should ditch the cinema theatre style seats and go for good recliners.

A couple of questions. Why do I see windows in a room built for HT from scratch? And pull down screen in a dedicated HT room?

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back