Building a Home Theater & Listening Room

Are you sure the raiser height is appropriate for the back row people to have a clear line to the screen? From the snap doesnt looks like

The back riser is 12" high. That's high enough to see over the front row especially when the front row seats are not tilted. I wanted every seat in the theater to be enjoyable. Sitting in the back row should have an unobstructed view of the screen regardless of how many tall people are sitting in front of you.
Both my rows tilt back I'd love to have gone higher but didn't want to build another step. The rule in my theater is front row people MUST recline! This is not a hard rule to enforce

I didn't want it any higher because I only have 8' ceiling clearance and the projector is mounted above the back row.

Good progress. I think you should ditch the cinema theatre style seats and go for good recliners.

A couple of questions. Why do I see windows in a room built for HT from scratch? And pull down screen in a dedicated HT room?

A home theater is always an ongoing project. Updates, upgrades and replacements are inevitable. My home theater is a do-it-yourself project... I am preparing a true Home Theater element vs. home viewing environment. I wanted to retain the windows and door to make the HT a part of my home... not a separate and isolated room.
I do plan to keep those windows and the door... for acoustic purposes I have build separate door and windows from inside.... to blend with interiors.
I know some guys say all windows should be eliminated, etc., but I really think they could add a nice touch. Whats attractive about them is that they let you see into the theater room from inside the house.

I chose not to design a contemporary style theater. I wanted my home theater to remain true to my great memories of a traditional movie theater.

Anyways... this screen is only a bridge gap arrangement till I setup an anamorphic lens and video processing for a 2.35:1 image.
The seats come with certain features like, push back springs, easy to fold; soft drink holder handles... the darn things are pretty comfy. If I had the room, I'd go with comfy chairs over theater seating; however... there is a certain novelty about having actual theater seating I guess. It's about the look you want, the comfort you want, and budget of course!

Slow progress, but progress nonetheless. Tough to get things done when you are on carpenters schedule, but I'm grinding along. Got most of the ceiling done, preparing bass traps and acoustic panels

URL=http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/hydrovac/media/IMG_6029_zps9e758835.jpg.html]
IMG_6029_zps9e758835.jpg
[/URL]

A home theater is always an ongoing project. Updates, upgrades and replacements are inevitable. My home theater is a do-it-yourself project... I am preparing a true Home Theater element vs. home viewing environment. I wanted to retain the windows and door to make the HT a part of my home... not a separate and isolated room.
I do plan to keep those windows and the door... for acoustic purposes I have build separate door and windows from inside.... to blend with interiors.
I know some guys say all windows should be eliminated, etc., but I really think they could add a nice touch. Whats attractive about them is that they let you see into the theater room from inside the house.

I chose not to design a contemporary style theater. I wanted my home theater to remain true to my great memories of a traditional movie theater.

I agree with thoughts about HT room, POSTING SOON, MY HT ROOM

Got few sample seats today... my folks liked the red one, the design part of it and not the fabric though. Actually it is wider by 2 and comfortable than the other two.

Decided to order seven seats with individual arm rests and different cloth material which I have to select.

excellent :clapping: how much the chairs are costing? please advice, thanks

Hey Guys!

Here is an update on the build with some acoustic treatment in place and basic audio I have spent countless hours on there reading and learning since I started trying to figure out what I wanted to do 6 months ago. Its like a fun project for me...

The entire room needs a good deal of sound work... even still, I'm happy with how it sounds to my ears after watching a couple movies... I just need to contain it better for now.

It's the old saying of "measure twice, cut once" live it, learn it, love it :) the downside to that is since I have never done anything like this before who knows what I missed or what I underestimated on.

M4tAF3W.jpg

vTgtGP7.jpg

Swc3jCK.jpg

E7fs6Cm.jpg

KMhTzCm.jpg

LUOrPD8.jpg

JUEr4Ha.jpg

obgpNSZ.jpg

cCSDqit.jpg

48JbsGN.jpg

Q4nClNm.jpg

More to come...

Last edited:
After a long gap... here is an update.
The past few months I've been gathering some more things to move forward. Here are a few goodies that were dropped off:

Video:
Panasonic DMP-BDT360GA
DUNE HD MAX
Sony PlayStation 3 (PS3) 500 GB

Us0zqGL.jpg

Projector & Screen:
Panasonic PT-AE8000U Full HD 3D Home Theater Projector

Screen Research 165 diagonal AT woven custom frame

TQkI5tA.jpg

X5nH6ze.jpg

mHJnscd.jpg

Electronics:
Pre Processor: Sherbourn PT-7020A preamp Processor
Power Amps: DIY TDA7293 based parallel design (8 Channels)

yThgJVK.jpg

GehY9Wl.jpg

etK9Jxk.jpg

cD0O4iI.jpg

I decided to try out tactile transducers for my home theater. Spent a lot of time researching and reading feedback from users and forums.
Ended up getting two of these:
Aura Bass Shakers:

ek0CvOw.jpg

PkX7N6s.jpg

Screen frame assembly:

THqpabP.jpg

xFRq5Z8.jpg

Eyelets Grommets and Bungee tension ties:

n8TTXBO.jpg

cdwLr7p.jpg

Here is a trial fitting and assembly of the screen frame...

CpcBE3o.jpg

SyqOUxm.jpg

zNGrt0u.jpg

M8NPBc6.jpg

This is how my existing screen looks:

ldlNKXd.jpg

Existing Speaker setup:

bc6ZZMK.jpg

New screen fixed in position:

T3jPWJs.jpg

More to follow...

Last edited: