Building HT in US, to be taken back home...need urgent advise please

shahrock

Hi Experts

First off, thanks to all the experts here, this is turning out to be nice counter to 'avs' i've been reading thus far.

I am currently in US for a few years and am in process of building my first HT, and desperately seeking advise.

My factors are:

1- 70% music, rest movie + tv
2- Need to bring it back home, can get it shipped, will pay customer if needed, only concern is support available in india as and when required (i know that warranty would be void + i need to use step-ups to use them)
3- Is using step-up fine for HT systems? (in terms of sound quality + device reliability)
4- want to avoid hassle of rear wiring so would either go for 2.1 bookshelves or use jbl WEM for surrounds

So far, through this forum and speaking to few support nos. in india, here's my findings:

receiver:

- onkyo would be able to provide support for a product purchased from US
- yamaha won't
- denon- i could not find any service centre info

speakers:

- polk wont provide support
- i see lots of guys discussing about energy line, so i believe there might be support

- i was nearing to onkyo 609 + JBL ES250PBK 12"" sub + JBL L830 bookshelves

Please help.

I am not sure. All i wanna know is in case i need support in terms of repair etc (if at all), will i be able to get some.

Another point is the choice of sub, pls lemme knw some better options if someone has.

Thanks

I wouldnt worry about speaker support if I were you. Re subs, since you are there you have a fairly large selection, I would use the opportunity to audition both subs and AVRs before making a final choice.

I am going for Onkyo 609 and MLT-2 (special thanks to all experts here).

I am ordering it via amazon and need to know the following:

- what other stuff do I have to buy- cables etc ?
- can i place the fronts on same table as TV about a feet apart ?

I intend to connect surrounds using JBL WEM

Thanks a lot

I would certainly opt for equipment that has universal power supply selection. Step down is not great for sound quality, and many manufacturers today are offering equipment with power supply selection, so that would probably be the best option.

As far as warranty goes, yes, your warranty will be void, but I wouldnt worry about that - the price diff alone justifies it. Further, I'm assuming you will have the option (worst case) of sending the equipment back to the US.

Brands I would certainly investigate: Emotiva, Salk Sound, Usher & Velodyne.

Viki

Hi. Whatever system you bring back to India, beware of the mains voltage and frequency requirement here. Using a step down transformer might not be the best way. The first thing you could do is get your AVR's main transformer's primary winding changed to 220/230 volts 50 Hz through a reliable source.

finally ordered onkyo 609 + klipsch vf36 + klipsch vb15 (for different room-zone2)

no sub or surrounds fr now, will add if need be, wud b pairin in wth lg 42" 3d led

Set it up, enjoy it and sine you are in the US for a few years you have the option of auditioning and upgrading before you return to India.

Good luck and happy viewing/listening.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back