Buying Onkyo S5300 In USA... Need advice Urgently !!!

ritesh_ks

Hi All,

I am currently in New York USA and planning to buy Onkyo S5300 from Amazon for $410 (including tax and shipping). Because the unit supports 110V and has a powered sub woofer, I have some questions.

1. Does it make sense to buy in USA or I should just buy in India?
2. Kinda of noon question but Do I need 2 voltage transformer or one because sub woofer is powered as well as AVR (110V). What's the cost?
3. Does it do a PAL pass through (if I buy a DVD player in India)
4. Does it work with FM reception for radio use in India (The channel scan may not work but how about manual)
5. Anyone has bought this in USA and has any experience using it? Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance for a quick reply. I am coming over the week end and need to make the decision as soon as possible.

Good Day,

1. Does it make sense to buy in USA or I should just buy in India?

No, this package is heavy and airlines might slap $100 - $200 as excess baggage.

Buy just the AVR from US and get speakers in India

2. Kinda of noon question but Do I need 2 voltage transformer or one because sub woofer is powered as well as AVR (110V). What's the cost?

No, transformer would have two / three terminals and you can buy a strip to get more. As long as transformer has enough capacity (KVA), there should not be any issue.

3. Does it do a PAL pass through (if I buy a DVD player in India)

You can set HDMI video to "passthrough", in that case it would not touch video signal at all.

4. Does it work with FM reception for radio use in India (The channel scan may not work but how about manual)

You might not be able to listen to even numbered channels (even manually).

It would be better to get an AVR for $250 - 300 from Onkyo/Denon/Yamaha.

You can get speakers similar/better to this HTIB in India for 7k - 15k.

Thanks so much for the reply NF

No, this package is heavy and airlines might slap $100 - $200 as excess baggage. Buy just the AVR from US and get speakers in India[/B]

Actually between me, my wife and 1 baggage for the kid, 80Lb should not be a problem.

No, transformer would have two / three terminals and you can buy a strip to get more. As long as transformer has enough capacity (KVA), there should not be any issue.
Could you recommend any transformer ? How many KVAs would I need for this?

You can set HDMI video to "passthrough", in that case it would not touch video signal at all.
Awesome!!!

You might not be able to listen to even numbered channels (even manually).

Thats sad... But Let's see.

It would be better to get an AVR for $250 - 300 from Onkyo/Denon/Yamaha.

Actually I got this very cheap through an employee promotion thingy. Paid $300 shipped.

Actually between me, my wife and 1 baggage for the kid, 80Lb should not be a problem.

Call your airline. Usually its disallowed to have ANY single baggage above 32 KG. In economy, is even lesser. Its illegal to force any person to lift more than 32 KG, and forklifts are used only on cargo. If they mark it as cargo, charges would be 2 -300$.

However, if its split across 2 - 3 cartons then its should not be an issue.

Could you recommend any transformer ? How many KVAs would I need for this?

Allowing for subwoofer + main unit it should be at least 1.5 KVA. Power consumption happen in peaks, so you need to buy at least twice the wattage.

However, if its split across 2 - 3 cartons then its should not be an issue.

Allowing for subwoofer + main unit it should be at least 1.5 KVA. Power consumption happen in peaks, so you need to buy at least twice the wattage.

Thanks. That's what I am going to do. Split it in 2 cartons.

BTW, any brand names for the transformer ? Does it need to have a UPS (I have a US surge protector already). What would it cost for a 2KVA transformer ? (I may need to ask my friend in Delhi to ship me one if I can't find it in Nagpur)

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back