Cabinet Build for Gr-Research X-LS Encore kit

Whats cooking Doc ? :D

So it seems besides me and Elmer Fudd. There are some more folks with Stubby fingers. :yahoo:

Hi Flesh:lol:

Ping me if you need any assistance
:)

lol
My brother from another mother.... Take heed and build the Gr-cabinets for the Bombay folks.

This is what I need for these builds

1.Speaker grill cloth.. Not the tacky ones available at Lamington Road.
Dwayne was in LR some days back and he said the quality sucks...
So any idea where I can source it . Need a couple of meters. My present source is a c*** . So got to soruce it from elsewhere.

2. Speaker Grill Fasteners. Initial plan was neodymium magnets inserted into the front baffle before finishing however i exhausted what i had with me.
So either one

3. Acoustic Foam - EggCrate or Pyramid shape. Not thick 1" more than sufficient for Damping the cabinet. The other alternative was Bitumen Sheets.
Om and sachin had plans of ordering NoRez from GR ... Not too sue if they are calling for it. Honestly not really required.

Last edited:
Great job Flash. It will be a treat to see the pictures of the effort as the build unfolds. Hats off to the effort being put in by you. All the best.

Thanks sam . Happy to be a part of the build .. I find no greater pleasure in life ......... Ok ......... I do find something else more pleasurable it involves a bed. :eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

Got it ... consider it done .....
I will be going to the market next weekend. So will get the Rosewood finish ...
This is confirmed right ? Cause I wont be able to give it back and ask for a refund.
Agree! That is looking great.

Om ...

Lets bring you in on this build .....next weekend.... come on over to my place and lets get the drawings on the panels for the Driver cut outs / Port hol cutouts, Binding post cutouts and make a Cabinet template as well out of cardboard to see where we need to add bracing to stiffen the entire enclosure
Sure! You will find me there on next weekend. Let me know if I need to bring something.

2. Speaker Grill Fasteners. Initial plan was neodymium magnets inserted into the front baffle before finishing however i exhausted what i had with me.

Don't know if the ladies handbag type magnetic clasps will be useful.
Otherwise, this type of magnetic latch is easily available in local h.w shops
if you can figure out a way to use it.

21NGoimYvCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

3. Acoustic Foam - EggCrate or Pyramid shape. Not thick 1" more than sufficient for Damping the cabine.

Posted here that this item is used for silent generators. You may be able to
find it locally from those shops.

http://www.hifivision.com/diy/22193-bumpy-acoustic-foam-question.html#post309439

Don't know if the ladies handbag type magnetic clasps will be useful.
Otherwise, this type of magnetic latch is easily available in local h.w shops
if you can figure out a way to use it.
Posted here that this item is used for silent generators. You may be able to
find it locally from those shops.

Thanks Quad...
Let me look into it...It should be usable. :)

So any idea where I can source it . Need a couple of meters. My present source is a c*** . So got to soruce it from elsewhere.

All the best for your DIY effort.

BTW, What kind of meters are you refereing to here? LCR / AC-DC ? What is the enclosure type and the cross-over order? Are you also considering Aperiodic design too or just a sealed enclosure? What software will you be using for designing the cabinet or is everything just a kit to assemble?

Will be eager to know more about the technical details / specs?

Cheers,

Wishing all you guys all the best for this wonderful adventure :).

My two cents for cabinet building

---for flush mounting of drivers....get the inner and outer (face plate) diameter of the driver.
cut a hole equivalent to the inner diameter out of the thicker mdf.
Cut a hole equivalent to the outer diameter out of a 5mm mdf sheet (if painting)
Or 4mm veneer.paste them together.Off course you have to align everything before you start cutting

--holes can be cut at your friendly neighbourhood switchboard cutter

--most mdf shops will cut mdf's bought from as per specs

And to add to the above for internal damping get 5-13mm of felt carpet from car acessort shop..top it up with foam (white stuff). Pls visit troel gravessen site for inspiration :)

Wishing all you guys all the best for this wonderful adventure :).

My two cents for cabinet building

---for flush mounting of drivers....get the inner and outer (face plate) diameter of the driver.
cut a hole equivalent to the inner diameter out of the thicker mdf.
Cut a hole equivalent to the outer diameter out of a 5mm mdf sheet (if painting)
Or 4mm veneer.paste them together.Off course you have to align everything before you start cutting

--holes can be cut at your friendly neighbourhood switchboard cutter

--most mdf shops will cut mdf's bought from as per specs

The MDF cutouts for flush mounting as with Previous builds, I will either get it CNC cut or Use my trusty Dremel tool .

A question though . Paste the Veneer on to the MDF before Cutting the outer diameter cutout

This is what I did for mine
---950x200mm 19mm mdf
---950x200mm 4mm veneer
---fix together with thin nails
---make a center hole so that it pierces both the piece
---draw outer circle on veener
---detach both pieces
---draw inner circle on mdf
---get holes cut
---paste them

Guess with tools you can paste them together (routing speaker hole videos on net)

okay.. so another weekend approaching. Could we get some time?
I am started thinking about front grill and its installation. I was thinking about another options to get magnets.

i used neo magnet in one of my builds, but had a tough time fixing them using hot glue. damn thing is so powerful, it used to pop out with frozen hot glue. i dont think putty etc will stand a chance. eventually i somehow managed to make it work, but never got the smooth finish.

in my sub, i just put four screws on sub body and put a latch kind of thing on the grill frame, kinda like the door chain latch. works fine. its more kid proof than fasteners or neo magnets. but for my next FS build, i will probably go with fasteners.

okay.. so another weekend approaching. Could we get some time?
I am started thinking about front grill and its installation. I was thinking about another options to get magnets.

Om.... Sorry mate .. this weekend and next weekend is going to be really difficult. I am completely crewed for time . the MDF is still sitting uncut. anyway after Easter. we will go about it in full swing .
No more excuses from me :eek:

Om.... Sorry mate .. this weekend and next weekend is going to be really difficult. I am completely crewed for time . the MDF is still sitting uncut. anyway after Easter. we will go about it in full swing .
No more excuses from me :eek:
No problem! So that means I get time to build new PS for my power amp. So far I am running both the channels parallel from same PS. Plan to make them separate PS powered with same toroidal trafo.

BTW did find source of magnets and grill cloth? That Mumbai guy is unresponsive.

No problem! So that means I get time to build new PS for my power amp. So far I am running both the channels parallel from same PS. Plan to make them separate PS powered with same toroidal trafo.

BTW did find source of magnets and grill cloth? That Mumbai guy is unresponsive.

Grill cloth taken care off,
Magnets I have given up on. Will be going for the normal Grill fasteners.

Coming down to your amp.

Amps are not my domain. But can you house another toroidal in the same chassis. Would it helps having a separate transformer for each channel. Cleaner power source with no load sharing or would it be overkill.

something like this

Attachments

• 222-3_fs.jpg
    222-3_fs.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 278
Grill cloth taken care off,
Magnets I have given up on. Will be going for the normal Grill fasteners.

Coming down to your amp.

Amps are not my domain. But can you house another toroidal in the same chassis. Would it helps having a separate transformer for each channel. Cleaner power source with no load sharing or would it be overkill.

something like this

Actually that would be great and ideal setup. Now amp already houses 200VA toroidal and power output is max 50+50W. So overload is not a problem. Also lac of space can not accommodate another trafo. So making rectifiers and all capacitor bank separate per channel. Even separating both channel grounds. Within each channel input-output grounds will be separated. So I am expecting more cleaner output with great stereo separation.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back