Cabinet Build for Gr-Research X-LS Encore kit

i will take some grill fasteners too. could you please let me know the price by pm.

there are plenty of neo magnets available on sp road. let me know if someone needs directions. its after the pc and cell market gets over and tools stuff starts. or just ask around for shops selling magnets.

IMO after crossing Amar Radio in the right lane left side after tool market start while walking towards avenue road end? That's two floor dealers shop sells magnets as well as ferrite bids.

Unfortunately due to my travel schedule. I will be able to commence the build for Om and Sachin post 15th September. However it would be nice to see how the other builds are coming along.

@om - We still need Grill cloth.

Dimensions (inches) and counts
8.5*13.5 x 8 nos for Front & back panels (doubling front and back panels)
8.5*12.0 x 4 nos for Top and Bottom panels
12.0*12.0 x 4 nos for Side Left and Right panels

Hi Flash,

Is there a reason/need for doubling the front and back panels for the build.

Thanks
Joseph

Is there a reason/need for doubling the front and back panels for the build.

My half-baked understanding is that thicker baffles - at least the front and rears, if not all - is more mass and lesser vibration. Or at least that's what I understood from what magma told me. I could be totally wrong, though:) so don't quote me anywhere:lol:

My half-baked understanding is that thicker baffles - at least the front and rears, if not all - is more mass and lesser vibration. Or at least that's what I understood from what magma told me. I could be totally wrong, though:) so don't quote me anywhere:lol:

partly
what magma said is not to do is mass but it had to do with resonance , bracing and inertness

he also said just doubling up the baffle only takes care of one of the above
its how you double it up
to take care of multiple things - is whats important

Since Flash is ultra busy, I will be re-planning the journey again. I would have been nice to wait for Flash.

image787g.jpg

I am thinking this to be given to carpenter who will return me flat-packs. These Flat-packs could be assembled by me and given back for application of veneer/polish finish. I verified drivers and parts fit correctly over hole markings at actual. Grill cloth and speaker grill pegs are not yet seen.

Sorry that I have not had more time to drop in lately.

The most important thing to remember when building the grills is the sonic effect that they will have. The fabric itself has little impact on the sound, but the grill frames can have a very negative impact on the sound.

So be sure and not let the grill frames shroud the drivers. Especially the tweeter. The further away from the drivers the better.

And then be sure to knock off the inside edge of the grill frame by rounding it over with a large radius so that the inside edge of the grill has no flat surface.

Great work guys. With your attention to detail I'm sure the final finish will be every bit as good.

BTW, I don't think flash posted cost estimates. Om, any idea what it'll cost (finished)? Also, are you getting the cutting done by CNC or by carpenter?

Great work guys. With your attention to detail I'm sure the final finish will be every bit as good.

BTW, I don't think flash posted cost estimates. Om, any idea what it'll cost (finished)? Also, are you getting the cutting done by CNC or by carpenter?

Atharva, thanks. We will be cutting the panels and holes on CNC machine. Just talked to Flash about this. IMO I can start build from next week end. About cost - fingers crossed. :)

Atharva, thanks. We will be cutting the panels and holes on CNC machine. Just talked to Flash about this. IMO I can start build from next week end. About cost - fingers crossed. :)

By any chance can we get to hear these great speakers in the Pune meet. It will be the most envied speaker in the event if you make it to the meet. Try your best to complete it in the next 2 weeks for all of us to audition them.

Best Wishes,

By any chance can we get to hear these great speakers in the Pune meet. It will be the most envied speaker in the event if you make it to the meet. Try your best to complete it in the next 2 weeks for all of us to audition them.

Best Wishes,

In fact I am too desperate. But Flash, are you listening?

Today I wanted to buy one jigsaw which will help the woodwork. But restrained myself and my favourite shop was closed. Tomorrow if flash could not be contacted then I will look for cutting board at least.

Today I got bitumen self adhesive tape 2mm thick and 6" wide but 10m length minimum to be bought. Cost Rs 2700. I am looking for alternative. If any another name please let me know.

Last edited:
C'mon Om, you can do it. Make us proud.:thumbsup:

Thanks captain, actually my better half is making noises to dispose boxes and convert to product. This will lead giveaway of old speakers to brother.

So I am already in the hot seat :D

Yes, but where to buy this. Today I saw small tapes of 6" width but too much expensive. Anyway I have 1 NOREZ sheet but Sachin's build will need that tar sheet and I can compare both of them.

Grill cloth and pegs are from PartsExpress, arrived last week.

Hi mishraji,

They are used for insulating the buried metal pipes (water for fire fighting & other purpose) for preventing corrosion. GI Pipe dealers will be having them, enquire with them.

N.Murali

Won't strong magnets' magnetic flux interact with that of the speaker coils and affect the sound?

Actually these small magnets have a pretty shallow depth of field. At best 6". I have used magnets for years. Velcro was just plain ugly.and I could not get nice grill Fastemers. i first tried rubberised magnets (about 20 years ago) the kind you use on fridges. They did not stay. Then someone gave me some large 20mm dia NdFeB magnets and they worked too well - the veneer was getting damaged as i hid the magnets below the veneer.

Some of the pictures in my build thread (on another forum) will show these magnets (10mm dia x 6mm deep).
Pictures of Selah designed Tempesta Extreme and RC4 (no subwoofer)

Hope this helps. You can veneer over the magnet. The 4mm veneer offers just the right reduction in power.

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back