Cabinet Build for Gr-Research X-LS Encore kit

Om / Sachu888
Are you guys ok with the Grill fasteners pictured above .
Yes I know the original plan was to use Neodymium magnets recessed into the cabinet for a clean upmarket look

However sourcing good ones seemed to be a nightmare. I got hold of couple of samples recently and I none of what i got a hold off seemed good enough. Importing them from Parts Express or similar seemed like too much of a hassle.

So if you guys are ok with these grill fasteners will stick to these. I found them to be of brilliant build quality and should stand the test of time

Om / Sachu888
Yes I know the original plan was to use Neodymium magnets recessed into the cabinet for a clean upmarket look

However sourcing good ones seemed to be a nightmare. I got hold of couple of samples recently and I none of what i got a hold off seemed good enough. Importing them from Parts Express or similar seemed like too much of a hassle.

So if you guys are ok with these grill fasteners will stick to these. I found them to be of brilliant build quality and should stand the test of time
Flash, I am okay and hope Sachin will also not have issue. Will be okay if I search and get suggestion from you? I will look on internet and would not mind wasting time of fee bay too :)
I mean something like this 8 Piece Magnetic Grill Guides | eBay

Om / Sachu888

Hi Flesh,
I am perfectly fine with your views.I know nothing about speaker building and your work is outstanding.

Regards,
Sachin

Flash, I am okay and hope Sachin will also not have issue. Will be okay if I search and get suggestion from you? I will look on internet and would not mind wasting time of fee bay too :)
I mean something like this 8 Piece Magnetic Grill Guides | eBay

This should do fine ...
It works out to $9 + 3.74 for shipping total = $12.74 at the present conversion rate of Rs 55
It works out to Rs 700 ...
A little pricey if you ask me ... But if you are ok with it.
Then go ahead and order them .

Not too sure of the quality / Size and magnet strength.

Try Meniscus Audio as well.
Mark is a nice guy to deal with. Ask him to work out the shipping costs to India and if he is ok with such a small order

We would need a total of 16 since there are 4 cabinets in total

Flash, where did you find these grill fasteners?
Are they locally available? If you are doing a group buy, I'd
be interested in some. Thanks!

Flash, where did you find these grill fasteners?
Are they locally available? If you are doing a group buy, I'd
be interested in some. Thanks!

Got them from abroad. I have around 150 with me at the moment. The ones I came across in India sucked

How many do you need ?
Send me a PM and lets discus

OMG Flash! This is mighty serious DIY :eek: ! I never ventured into this forum and accidentally saw this. Raiding your place this weekend with the CDP,

PS: Keep a mop handy, drool altert!

OMG Flash! This is mighty serious DIY :eek: ! I never ventured into this forum and accidentally saw this. Raiding your place this weekend with the CDP,

PS: Keep a mop handy, drool altert!

lol ...... Your always welcome over anytime , anyday of the week.

The Gr-research X-ls encore kit has received some rave reviews... It should be right up your alley.
Unfortunately I don't have space for another set of speakers or else would have gotten myself a pair of these beauties as well.

I am happy for Omishra and Sachin though. I hope my cabinet build lives up to their expectations.

Flash

you hve any grill fastners to spare?

pesonally i dont need any - because i plan to use the speakers without grills

but i think josh and sridhar (for whome i am building ) may want them
would need for 3 sets of speakers

Flash

you hve any grill fastners to spare?

pesonally i dont need any - because i plan to use the speakers without grills

but i think josh and sridhar (for whome i am building ) may want them
would need for 3 sets of speakers

I should be able to give you 24 for their builds

Won't strong magnets' magnetic flux interact with that of the speaker coils and affect the sound?

Well yes and no. The magnets that I have used earlier are tiny Neodymium cylinder shaped magnets

When placed at the 4 extremities of the cabinet as well as the Grill causes no interference.
However with larger magnets, this could cause a problem

The advantage with Neodymium magnets is its strong magnetic properties even if the surface area is small.
Perfect for a speaker grill with the magnet recessed into the cabinet. It gives the exterior of the cabinet a clean uncluttered look when compared to normal peg and socket types.

Klipsch, Paradigm and B&W 800 series to name a few manufacturers
use magnets on their speaker grill

please keep them aside
how are you making the grill?
wood frame?

Sure will do ....

Not Decided on the frame as yet. But it will be Wood Frame with a rounded outer edge purely for aesthetic value.

BTW.. the Spikes I brought from you for my Sub build is still lying around.
Don't feel like upsetting the sub rite now. or rather just too lazy to flip the cab around :)

Last edited:
If you guys are doing roundovers for the baffle edges maybe you can do grilles like these. They look cool.

av1m2.gif

i will take some grill fasteners too. could you please let me know the price by pm.

there are plenty of neo magnets available on sp road. let me know if someone needs directions. its after the pc and cell market gets over and tools stuff starts. or just ask around for shops selling magnets.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back