Cabinet Build for Gr-Research X-LS Encore kit

In fact I am too desperate. But Flash, are you listening?

Today I wanted to buy one jigsaw which will help the woodwork. But restrained myself and my favourite shop was closed. Tomorrow if flash could not be contacted then I will look for cutting board at least.

By any chance are you visiting today? I will be going to Budhwar Peth today to buy rubber grommets and so if you are around, we could meet.

By any chance are you visiting today? I will be going to Budhwar Peth today to buy rubber grommets and so if you are around, we could meet.
I am sorry, I have too many other works today. That Moti stores which sales all grommets is also closed till Monday. I went there yesterday. May be I will go there on Monday.

I am sorry, I have too many other works today. That Moti stores which sales all grommets is also closed till Monday. I went there yesterday. May be I will go there on Monday.

Thanks for the heads up. I will also go next week as the main purpose I wanted to visit was for the grommets for the hum problem in my turntable.

someone gave me some large 20mm dia NdFeB magnets and they worked too well - the veneer was getting damaged as i hid the magnets below the veneer.

You can veneer over the magnet. The 4mm veneer offers just the right reduction in power.

Thank you for the advice Navin ji but I've not understood your statement:eek: (highlighted in bold) On one hand you are saying that the magnets worked well and on the other hand you are saying that the veneer was getting damaged. I'm totally :confused:

Thank you for the advice Navin ji but I've not understood your statement:eek: (highlighted in bold) On one hand you are saying that the magnets worked well and on the other hand you are saying that the veneer was getting damaged. I'm totally :confused:

Sorry I should be more clear. The larger magnets were too powerful. The grill has a metal plate which aligned with the magnet. When I tried to pull the grill of the baffle the metal plate would scratch the veneer.

The smaller magnets offer just enough force to hold the grill without damaging the veneer. hope that helps.

Capt. I know you have helped many members here in their DIY pursuit. I am not a regular on this forum but in my younger days (pre 1995) built a lot of speakers. Maybe 100 pairs, each a different design, betwween 1976 and 1995. Do PM me if you need any inputs. I would be happy to share with you my experiences.

Last edited:
Sorry I should be more clear. The larger magnets were too powerful. The grill has a metal plate which aligned with the magnet. When I tried to pull the grill of the baffle the metal plate would scratch the veneer.

The smaller magnets offer just enough force to hold the grill without damaging the veneer. hope that helps.

Capt. I know you have helped many members here in their DIY pursuit. I am not a regular on this forum but in my younger days (pre 1995) built a lot of speakers. Maybe 100 pairs, each a different design, betwween 1976 and 1995. Do PM me if you need any inputs. I would be happy to share with you my experiences.
Sir, I would like some help from you ( or any honorable member) what device you use to cut MDF sheet (DIY) - a circular saw or jig saw will be alright?
Thanks in advance.

Having used both I have found that a circular saw is great for straight cuts however a jigsaw is necessary for circular cut outs for the drivers. A router will also be used to carve out smooth edges.

Sir, I would like some help from you ( or any honorable member) what device you use to cut MDF sheet (DIY) - a circular saw or jig saw will be alright?
Thanks in advance.

Audiodoc is right. You need all 3. BTW don't let people tell you MDF is the only material to use for speakers. Void free, marine grade ply is just as good if not better.

A router will also be used to carve out smooth edges.
Sorry about terminology what do you mean by router? Hand tool with with grinding blade interchangeable with cutting blade?
Example
images

The grill has a metal plate which aligned with the magnet.
Can we have the other way around; I mean, can we fix a metal plate onto the speaker box and the magnet onto the grill frame?
Thank you for the advice it sure did.
in my younger days (pre 1995) built a lot of speakers. Maybe 100 pairs, each a different design, betwween 1976 and 1995. Do PM me if you need any inputs. I would be happy to share with you my experiences.
Great to hear. YGPM.
a jigsaw is necessary for circular cut outs for the drivers. A router will also be used to carve out smooth edges. A router will also be used to carve out smooth edges.
Audiodoc is right. You need all 3.
From my experience on the woodworking workshop at Bangalore that I attended a router would give you far more precise results in cutting circular holes than a jigsaw which is used for cutting complex patterns. Hope Navin and Audiodoc agree with me.
BTW don't let people tell you MDF is the only material to use for speakers. Void free, marine grade ply is just as good if not better.
I read in one of the posts of our erstwhile member Suri who had quite an experience in speaker building that even void free marine grade plywood is not exactly void free.

@Navin Advani, could you elaborate which aspects of plywood is better than MDF. I can think of one; Plywood is more hardy than MDF and can handle impacts better and doesn't deform like an MDF. Are there more aspects where plywood is better? What about the costing? Which is costlier?

Sorry about terminology what do you mean by router? Hand tool with with grinding blade interchangeable with cutting blade?
Example
images

Example of a router is here: Black & Decker Tools | 10 Amp Variable Speed Plunge Router RP250

What you showed is a grinder. It is not really meant for cutting, but people definitely use it to cut GI pipes, MS sheets, etc:) because it can behave like a circular saw. A router is used to cut (mostly) pre-defined shapes (e.g. the decorative edge of a table, or bevelling the edge of any panel, etc).

Examples of various router bits/blades to cut specific profiles: Handrail / Table Edge Router Bits by Amana Tool

Just for info, jig saw is a reciprocating type of saw (as against circular blade). Like this: Black & Decker Tools | 5.0 Amp Variable Speed Orbital Jigsaw JS660

It is really nice to have these tools (and many others) if one has the room to get down and dirty.

I have some of these tools but using them is subject to very loud noise and the bothersome saw dust, so I would rather get my cutting and routing done at neighbourhood jig saw workshops.

Another nice "accessory" to have is round wood bits of 1/2, 3/4, 1, 1-1/4 inch. They do come in handy when doing any wood working involving making large holes.

Can we have the other way around; I mean, can we fix a metal plate onto the speaker box and the magnet onto the grill frame?

YGPM.

a router would give you far more precise results in cutting circular holes than a jigsaw which is used for cutting complex patterns. Hope Navin and Audiodoc agree with me.

@Navin Advani, could you elaborate which aspects of plywood is better than MDF. I can think of one; Plywood is more hardy than MDF and can handle impacts better and doesn't deform like an MDF. Are there more aspects where plywood is better? What about the costing? Which is costlier?

Yes you can fix the magnet to the grill but the magnet is about 6mm deep and your grill will get too thick to accommodate the magnet . It is easier to do it the other way. The metal plate is much thinner.

What is YGPM?

A router is more precise but a jig saw accelerates the process.

I use plywood from Truwood. This is 100% guru an ply and is pretty good. I recently had the opportunity to buy 70 sheets and after the cutting and sawing we did not find any voids. However the carpenter did mention that many other ply wood companies are void free. One that stuck in my mind was a company called Kenwood ( I am sure they are not related to Kenwood Electronics for audio/car audio fame).

Ply is denser than MDF. It can be bent. Bending ply for speaker cabinets does 2 things. You get non-parallel surfaces and it pre- stresses the ply so making it stiffer. For baffles though I prefer 30mm MDF. It is easier to route and we don't bend baffles for obvious reasons. Usually the sides of my speaker cabinets is composed of 3 layers of 6mm ply. In between these layers is a layer of 3mm of resin-bonded fibreglass mat and a layer of lead sheet. See post 14 here
Thick or thin sides?

Hope this helps.

Example of a router is here: Black & Decker Tools | 10 Amp Variable Speed Plunge Router RP250

What you showed is a grinder. It is not really meant for cutting, but people definitely use it to cut GI pipes, MS sheets, etc:) because it can behave like a circular saw. A router is used to cut (mostly) pre-defined shapes (e.g. the decorative edge of a table, or bevelling the edge of any panel, etc).

Examples of various router bits/blades to cut specific profiles: Handrail / Table Edge Router Bits by Amana Tool

Just for info, jig saw is a reciprocating type of saw (as against circular blade). Like this: Black & Decker Tools | 5.0 Amp Variable Speed Orbital Jigsaw JS660

It is really nice to have these tools (and many others) if one has the room to get down and dirty.

I have some of these tools but using them is subject to very loud noise and the bothersome saw dust, so I would rather get my cutting and routing done at neighbourhood jig saw workshops.

Another nice "accessory" to have is round wood bits of 1/2, 3/4, 1, 1-1/4 inch. They do come in handy when doing any wood working involving making large holes.
Got the hint. Now I need to find place to cut this.:)

This is a brief article from wiki on routers. This will be essential for rounding of the inner edge of the drive unit holes as advised by Danny.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Router_(woodworking)

The same result can be achieved with a jigsaw and sandpaper, however one will have to sweat it out with all the sanding.

Jigsaws are relatively cheaper than good routers. Good brands being Bosch, hitachi, skil, black and decker & dewatt.

Yes you can fix the magnet to the grill but the magnet is about 6mm deep and your grill will get too thick to accommodate the magnet . It is easier to do it the other way. The metal plate is much thinner.
I'm thinking of using the magnet from magnetic locks used in Ladies' Hand bags and mobile holsters which are just 1-2mm thick but are quite strong. I intend to make the frame of speaker grill using thinnest available electrical conduit pipe to make the whole thing as light as possible and fix the magnets at all the four corners.

What is YGPM?

YGPM = You've Got (my) Personal Message.:)

I'm thinking of using the magnet from magnetic locks used in Ladies' Hand bags and mobile holsters which are just 1-2mm thick but are quite strong. I intend to make the frame of speaker grill using thinnest available electrical conduit pipe to make the whole thing as light as possible and fix the magnets at all the four corners.

YGPM = You've Got (my) Personal Message.:)

This I was thinking and try to make one. Still I am exploring option of furniture lipping wooden strips.

:)

I find it a lot easier to make a grill frame from wood. You can buy half round wood moulding at most stores that sell ply and solid wood used for "dhar patti". If you intend hiding the magnet under veneer or laminate so it is not seen the bag clasp magnet is not strong enough. Try something like in the links below.
Disc 10mm dia. x 5mm height N45
Discs

Something 3-8mm thick and 8-16mm in dia is the range you should experiment with. It all depends on the pull strength you desire.

A pipe will be difficult to cut and make corners.

One that stuck in my mind was a company called Kenwood ( I am sure they are not related to Kenwood Electronics for audio/car audio fame).
Kenwood- nice audiophool name for wood. A home interior designer that I met recently told me that for all his projects he uses ONLY Kenwood ply. He told me that it has always stood the test of time. And he's been at this for 15 years now.

Ply is denser than MDF.
I don't think so. IMO, it's the other way around.

Om, can you bring over the cut panels, along with your drivers,
I will get the holes cut and get the cabinet assembled and finished.

Cheers

Just saw this! Thanks,
Yesterday I have given for cutting to local carpenter for panel cutting and hole will be done at old wood craftsman. Getting those panel today and holes by tomorrow. I get will get I touch with you for further step, at least polishing the veneer.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back