Can Raspberry Pi be used as network streamer

sand87ch

So i was planning to set up a kubernetes cluster on a raspberry pi for a POC.Meanwhile i came across the audio Dacs.I have also seen Allo etc.

My question is once my POCs done can i use this Rasp Pi 4 8GB board for a netwrok streamer with some Hifi board or something that i can build.Am totally a noob.So would like to knoe more.Can anyone help?

Yes you can.. use Volumio or Moode or similar OS in the rpi. If going for a DAC, Allo boss is a good option..or if planning as transport you can go for Digione to have a clean digital output.

See this Darko's video, will help.

As @premoddev suggested you can very well use RPI and you don’t even need RPI4 with 8GB, you can easily get way for cheap with RPI3b+ with 1GB RAM as all of the Streaming PI OS are not RAM intensive :)

Regards
Tech33

Has anyone noticed a difference in sound between RPI 3B+ and 4?? I feel the mids are more forwarded in 4 or it may be a placebo for me too. 4 is definitely fast and needs a good psu to work well i feel or if one is not willing to spend much on a LPSU 3B is the way forward i feel.

Haven't heard a rpi3B+ so can't comment, but it seems interesting. Have you tried both in same condition like with same version of OS and other hw configuration like power supply and hats? USB out of pi4b should be better due to the separate bus design compared to pi3b+, also the bluetooth and wifi.
I am still using a mobile phone charger to power my rpi4b with allo boss dac. Never tried any better audiophile quality power supply. Shanti is super costlier compared to the cost of rpi+dac. Do you have any recommendations for a cheaper lpsu?
Thanks
Premod

I am using rpi + old allo boss in my car as a streaming solution. Connected directly to amp. Works very well.

Haven't heard a rpi3B+ so can't comment, but it seems interesting. Have you tried both in same condition like with same version of OS and other hw configuration like power supply and hats? USB out of pi4b should be better due to the separate bus design compared to pi3b+, also the bluetooth and wifi.
I am still using a mobile phone charger to power my rpi4b with allo boss dac. Never tried any better audiophile quality power supply. Shanti is super costlier compared to the cost of rpi+dac. Do you have any recommendations for a cheaper lpsu?
Thanks
Premod
I have seen many configurations of allo.Digione signature,allo boss etc.

I have a PM6007.What i need is a usb transport and a network streamer through which i can use Tidal,gaana etc over Airplay 2.I have already a player connected over co-axial to my Amp.so havent got a co-axial port left to connect allo.

You can use rpi4 with Volumio or Moode with out any hats to feed the usb out to your pm6007. It will be definitely better compared to rpi3 due to the separate bus implementation for usb and ethernet ports. Using a clean power supply will improve the sound stage.
Good luck!

You can use rpi4 with Volumio or Moode with out any hats to feed the usb out to your pm6007
PM6007 doesn't have USB input.

U have to try similar to Topping D10/D10s with some streamer which can support your streaming service
I have seen many configurations of allo.Digione signature,allo boss etc.

I have a PM6007.What i need is a usb transport and a network streamer through which i can use Tidal,gaana etc over Airplay 2.I have already a player connected over co-axial to my Amp.so havent got a co-axial port left to connect allo.

Last edited:
You will need a streamer and dac to connect to the RCA input of your amp. You have two options, make your rpi as the streamer and add dac like schiit modi or topping from which you can connect to the amplifier.
Other option is to add a dac hat like allo boss to your rpi, so it will work as a streamer+dac which will give you analogue output to your amplifier.

You will need a streamer and dac to connect to the RCA input of your amp. You have two options, make your rpi as the streamer and add dac like schiit modi or topping from which you can connect to the amplifier.
Other option is to add a dac hat like allo boss to your rpi, so it will work as a streamer+dac which will give you analogue output to your amplifier.
is allo boss better than a schitt modi or topping?And topping exactly which model onwards is good?

is allo boss better than a schitt modi or topping?And topping exactly which model onwards is good?

Look into the Allo Boss2 player as an all in one solution. If you prefer to go with a separate dac, I would suggest the Topping E30.
The first option would be much better bang for buck if you don't already own a good dac. Sonic wise there isn't going to huge difference between the Allo Boss2 player and a RPi + dac combo. Only invest in a separate dac like the E30 if you are going to use inputs of the dac with other devices.

Has anyone noticed a difference in sound between RPI 3B+ and 4?? I feel the mids are more forwarded in 4 or it may be a placebo for me too. 4 is definitely fast and needs a good psu to work well i feel or if one is not willing to spend much on a LPSU 3B is the way forward i feel.
I've read that the Pi 4 has independent power for the USB (not shared with the NIC like the Pi 3x), so that should make a difference if you're using a USB DAC.

Topping E30 or Schiit modi 3... it's all depends on your budget. Looks like both are out of stock currently on HPZ.

If you are going for DAC hats for your rpi4, Allo currently offering Boss v1.2 and Boss2 dacs. As per Allo, the later version is an upgrade from previous generation with a different dac chip. I never heard, so can't comment about it.

If you are going for separates, ie usb dac (topping , schiit etc) plus streamer (rpi4) you will have the freedom to choose different inputs to your dac. But if you are going for rpi+Allo boss/boss2 you will be limited to that solution and you cannot use it to connect any other source to the dac.
Hope this helps..

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back