Can Yamaha yht-196 (HTR-2064) AV Receiver be paired with Q Acoustics 3030i?

JrM1

Hello,
I have a Yamaha yht-196(HTR-2064) av receiver, currently paired with Micca MB42X bookshelf and center channel. Using original yamaha speakers for surround and passive subwoofer(planning to change it active woofer in future).

I am planning to upgrade the front channel LR speakers set to Q Acoustics 3030i but wondering if my AVR can drive these speakers or not.
Also I have shortlisted few other speaker as below, not sure which will be more suitable and better match as far as sound goes.

1. Q Acoustics 3030i
2. JBL Statge A170
3. Elac Debut B5.2
4. Fyne Audio F302

I am okay with either Floor-standing or Bookshelf, the main goal is to get a better music. I love BASS(not too much or boomy bass) but also like midrange clarity and detail.
My uses are 50:50, both Movies and Music. Room size: 19'x11'. Seating position: 6 to 8 feet away from speakers. Distance between speakers is 5 feet. Speakers placed at longer side of room.

Please help me in deciding. Thank you all in advance. Cheers!!!

From the specs of it it should drive the QAs fine. I do not see why not. The speaker choice however will depend on your preference - all are pretty good choices for the budget.

From the specs of it it should drive the QAs fine. I do not see why not. The speaker choice however will depend on your preference - all are pretty good choices for the budget.
Thanks Chander, can my receiver be able to drive Elac Debut B5.2 too, and whether it will be a good match with Yamaha yht-196(HTR-2064) receiver?

You can add Mission LX series to the list, Audition as many as possible, then make a decision.
Thanks George but for simplicity in decision making I am trying to stick to the above 4 speakers only. And because of Covid situation auditioning is getting difficult.

Thanks Chander, can my receiver be able to drive Elac Debut B5.2 too, and whether it will be a good match with Yamaha yht-196(HTR-2064) receiver?
From a specification point of view I see no problem. QA being 6Ohms @88db sensitive with 25-75 watt requirement vs ELACs @6Ohms 86DB with 120W requirement (stated by manufacturers), I would say "perhaps" your receiver will drive the QA's more efficiently compared to the ELACs. However, numbers do not always give the reality. So it will depend (Also I have no experience with either your receiver or speakers - so this is a spec translation only).

You will get somewhat OK sound if you are driving the 3030i using a YHT196. However, you'll be missing out on power and dynamics of the audio track (music/movies/games, basically anything). I have a RX-V485 and a PM5005 and even though the Marantz is way cheaper, it drives both my QA 2020i and 3010i pairs (not in parallel) with much more authority.

If your end goal is a good stereo setup and this is an incremental upgrade/purchase, then definitely go for the 3030i and use the YHT196 for now (in stereo mode only, do not connect more channels to the receiver as the output will be weakened further). You can then upgrade to a good quality stereo amp in the future and replace your YHT196.

If, however, you are planning to go multichannel and/or want to keep using the 3030i with the YHT196 for good, I would recommend not to take that route since the AVR is pretty weak and will never bring out the true colors of the speakers you will be investing in.

You will get somewhat OK sound if you are driving the 3030i using a YHT196. However, you'll be missing out on power and dynamics of the audio track (music/movies/games, basically anything). I have a RX-V485 and a PM5005 and even though the Marantz is way cheaper, it drives both my QA 2020i and 3010i pairs (not in parallel) with much more authority.

If your end goal is a good stereo setup and this is an incremental upgrade/purchase, then definitely go for the 3030i and use the YHT196 for now (in stereo mode only, do not connect more channels to the receiver as the output will be weakened further). You can then upgrade to a good quality stereo amp in the future and replace your YHT196.

If, however, you are planning to go multichannel and/or want to keep using the 3030i with the YHT196 for good, I would recommend not to take that route since the AVR is pretty weak and will never bring out the true colors of the speakers you will be investing in.
Thanks Dwaipayan, I am planning to incrementally upgrade the whole setup, now to get 3030i Speakers, and move my Micca Mb42x to surround role. Within a year max, planning to purchase Marantz 6007 or Yamaha RX-V6A. Yet to decide which one. Yamaha V6A got some good reviews and for simplicity that will be better as it can do both surround and stereo but not yet finalized, maybe another thread for that :). Also planning to add a Subwoofer soon.

But until I upgrade to a new receiver or amp, should I be able to play 3030i with YHT196 in 5.1 while watching movies.

Also, I was thinking why not go for a tower, like JBL Stage A170 instead of Q Acu 3030i as both will cost me the same. 3030i with speaker stand will in fact cost 3 to 4k more. Is 3030i better speakers compare to JBL Stage A170? Please suggest.

Be careful. If I am not wrong , YHT196 avr is not powerful and rated for 6 ohms speakers. With 8ohm speakers, it will deliver low power. You can match 6 ohm, high sensitivity bookshelf easily. If you drive a tower with full volume, there can be a damage.

should I be able to play 3030i with YHT196 in 5.1 while watching movies.
I would probably run only a stereo pair instead of a 5.1 given that the QAs are rated at 6 ohms nominal, that too with upto 60-70% volume st most. Trying to play more channels will definitely distort the output and may even trigger the protection circuit. A 5.1 with low impedance load even on two channels is risky for such a low powered AVR.

Also, I was thinking why not go for a tower
Your room size should dictate whether you should get a tower or a bookshelf. But since you're anyway planning to get a sub later on, towers may be redundant or the bass may be too much for your listening area. If you decide on skipping the sub however, s floorstander will be a better choice.

speaker stand
Check out https://soundfoundations.in/ for quality speaker stands. Price is way more competitive compared to QA stands. They even provide you with custom heights on request if you need it. I have a pair I got 7-8 years ago and they are still in perfect condition.

I would probably run only a stereo pair instead of a 5.1 given that the QAs are rated at 6 ohms nominal, that too with upto 60-70% volume st most. Trying to play more channels will definitely distort the output and may even trigger the protection circuit. A 5.1 with low impedance load even on two channels is risky for such a low powered AVR.

Your room size should dictate whether you should get a tower or a bookshelf. But since you're anyway planning to get a sub later on, towers may be redundant or the bass may be too much for your listening area. If you decide on skipping the sub however, s floorstander will be a better choice.

Check out https://soundfoundations.in/ for quality speaker stands. Price is way more competitive compared to QA stands. They even provide you with custom heights on request if you need it. I have a pair I got 7-8 years ago and they are still in perfect condition.
Be careful. If I am not wrong , YHT196 avr is not powerful and rated for 6 ohms speakers. With 8ohm speakers, it will deliver low power. You can match 6 ohm, high sensitivity bookshelf easily. If you drive a tower with full volume, there can be a damag
Yes, even I have my doubts about my av receiver.

Thanks again, I think I need to replan my upgrade path. YHT-196 seems to be the weak link, better I change it first before changing speakers.

Now I will get a Subwoofer first, then a Yamaha RX-V6A or V4A receiver, and then Q 3030i. Later if AVReceiver not good enough for music then maybe a stereo amp.

Any suggestion for the subwoofer under 30k for both music and movie. I am inclined towards Polk HTS 10 or BIC America F-12. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks again, I think I need to replan my upgrade path. YHT-196 seems to be the weak link, better I change it first before changing speakers.

Now I will get a Subwoofer first, then a Yamaha RX-V6A or V4A receiver, and then Q 3030i. Later if AVReceiver not good enough for music then maybe a stereo amp.

Any suggestion for the subwoofer under 30k for both music and movie. I am inclined towards Polk HTS 10 or BIC America F-12. Please let me know what you think.
Would recommend you get the sub last preferably after audition once covid situation improves. 3030i has a pretty good bass extension. Depending on room acoustics, lower frequencies that the sub will produce may not give you desirable results.

At least that's how I'd go about it given my personal experience. Others can suggest their views.

Lastly, 30k budget may not be enough to get you a sub which will give you significant benefits over a 3030i.

Would recommend you get the sub last preferably after audition once covid situation improves. 3030i has a pretty good bass extension. Depending on room acoustics, lower frequencies that the sub will produce may not give you desirable results.

At least that's how I'd go about it given my personal experience. Others can suggest their views.

Lastly, 30k budget may not be enough to get you a sub which will give you significant benefits over a 3030i.
Hmm, in my case then the electronics(AVR) first before I can make any other updates, that makes sense...

What is your budget for the full setup?
Not really put a figure as I am planning to upgrade it in multiple phases over time. But, now think of it, I will say around 30 to 45k for front speakers, 25 to 30k for subwoofer and 50 to 60k for an av receiver or 40k for an integrated amp.

Before I started this thread I was hoping that my av receiver will be able to do the job so I was thinking to get an Integrated amp but now it seems like it's time to upgrade my av receiver. So integrated amp will take a back seat for now.

Currently having a Micca MB42x as the front which will move to surround role. And going to use my current MB42x-C as the centre.

But again not planning to buy all these together, at least 6 to 12 months between each upgrade.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back