Cheap 1 x 7" LCD based projectors

arminder

On a side note, has anyone had their hands on cheap (18-20k) 1x7" LCD based (so called Chinese) projectors with low-cost lamp (1500-2000 INR) having rated life of 6000+ hours? Anyone with any sort of experiences with them? Or any ideas they are any worth?

In my pursuit of happiness (I meant by fulfilling my desire of owning a PJ), I chanced to find Pagaria (pagaria.co.in), which is selling such with 1 year guarantee. I haven't been able to get holds on them, since they preferred to put a FAX number only instead of Telephone number(s). I'm trying to get a demo shortly just out of curiosity and shall share my experience.

PS: Since I asked about cheap projectors, don't assume/think that I'm cheap as well :p

Cheers!
Arminder

that's so cheap of you to say that we would think you are cheap just because you are looking for a cheap projector :D

On a side note, has anyone had their hands on cheap (18-20k) 1x7" LCD based (so called Chinese) projectors with low-cost lamp (1500-2000 INR) having rated life of 6000+ hours? Anyone with any sort of experiences with them? Or any ideas they are any worth?

In my pursuit of happiness (I meant by fulfilling my desire of owning a PJ), I chanced to find Pagaria (pagaria.co.in), which is selling such with 1 year guarantee. I haven't been able to get holds on them, since they preferred to put a FAX number only instead of Telephone number(s). I'm trying to get a demo shortly just out of curiosity and shall share my experience.

PS: Since I asked about cheap projectors, don't assume/think that I'm cheap as well :p

Cheers!
Arminder

There are lot of sellers selling similar projectors on Ebay which cost between 18 to 36k , i have never tired the same though these sellers claim the product to be good

is it possible to take a demo? Prices seem ok. However, I saw a couple of them but their native resolution was not close to home theater expectations.

arminder,

I have seen a similar projector with one of my friends. (brand:favi)
In my opinion, if u get a projector with 1024x768 resolution, and u are using the same in a complete dark room, u can get a good projection. we tried with 100" as well as 150" size projections. Also, if you are playing 720p or 1080p videos, u will get better results.
You can see the projectors at favientertainment.com - select india for rates in rupees.

is it possible to take a demo? Prices seem ok. However, I saw a couple of them but their native resolution was not close to home theater expectations.
I could never get the demo arranged because the dealer was too busy and never called back even though I called in lots of times and left messages too. Eventually when I grabbed hold of him, he told that he had only 1 piece but since his salesman has sold off its bulb, so can't give demo and then neither I called him again nor he ever did called back. So thats history.

I wonder if sales is such, how worse would be there after-sales!!

Cheers!
Arminder

arminder,

I have seen a similar projector with one of my friends. (brand:favi)
In my opinion, if u get a projector with 1024x768 resolution, and u are using the same in a complete dark room, u can get a good projection. we tried with 100" as well as 150" size projections. Also, if you are playing 720p or 1080p videos, u will get better results.
You can see the projectors at favientertainment.com - select india for rates in rupees.
Thanks for sharing the info. I can see that they had a branch here in Kerala (yippee, so no import duty etc) and anyways the shipping is free, which is good. Looking at the specs they are single LCD ones with smaller sized 3.5" and 5" and had low native resolutions. Since my experience with such ones wasn't good (check my earlier post) and moreover they all seem dubious, so I went in for branded one. Finally, I settled in for Benq MP512 @ 30K incl. taxes.

Cheers!
Arminder

Hi arminder,
can u tell me what is the price of a spare bulb for the benq projector?
also hw is the performance of the proj..

btw, are u in kerala? im a native of kerala, currently working in bangalore.
are u working or studying ?

regards
vinay..

can u tell me what is the price of a spare bulb for the benq projector?
also hw is the performance of the proj..
The replacement bulb shall cost anywhere from 12-18K (frankly I never confirmed this since I'm not going to buy it, so its pointless) and vary with $ rate. From experience, I have so far learned that if one has dedicated tv and use PJ only for movies/games, then on average it just runs 2 hrs/day, so for this PJ with lamp life rated as 4000 hrs in Eco, it shall last >5 years. With newer technologies like LCOS and more to come, probably it would be cheap to dump it when lamp ends and I sall go in for the newer one with higher quality and prices should anyways be competitive.

Now about Benq MP512, I'm really satisfied with this model and it gives some stunning pictures even in Eco mode (I'm sticking to eco as its hardly any diff from normal mode). Since I hadn't planned it in advance and budgeted it out, so I'm throwing display on light-yellow painted wall, but due to the wall color correction in it, the colors look natural. I have watched cricket on it using digital cable from SitiCable using STB and played some Divx movies with it through my laptop and they all were a treat to watch. Even the darker scenes from Die Hard 4.0 (source: 1 cd divx rip) were clear and sharp. If you have any specific queries related to this PJ, do let me know and probably I shall be able to answer those for you.

btw, are u in kerala? im a native of kerala, currently working in bangalore.
are u working or studying ?
No, I'm not from Kerala or nowhere near it. I'm from Chandigarh and been here since my birth :) The reason I mentioned Kerala was to tell that Favi has a branch in India from where it can ship and so you won't end importing it (like for other manufacturer abroad) and thus no import hurdles and duties to pay.

Cheers!
Arminder

Hi Arminder.

I want to go in for a cheap Gaming Projector, and hence was exploring the same option as in this thread, but unfortunately iam struck as all the functionality of the cheap LC projector ( either Lalantika or Favi or the pagaria ones as the are all single LCD ones, technically the native resoultions will be more akin to home made CRT/LCD cardboard projectors and should be veiwable only in an dark closeted room) Whereas i want to do gaming in day or night hence the concern.

I have liked the review of Benq MP512 and it also fits in my budget but since you have it i would like to ask you on the following converns that i have

1)How is the quality of Benq MP512, have you used it for gaming
2)is there any flicker while using it in the first 100 hours.
3) Is it decently viewable in a non lit daytime enovironment ( 400 Lumi )
4) You mentioned it was available for 30K @ incl of all taxes where did you get it from , Iam from Aurangabad( Mumbai also is fine as i have my home there)
5) How good is eco mode

Thanks for your time in advance for answering it

:)

Iyer

Hi Iyer,
I want to go in for a cheap Gaming Projector, and hence was exploring the same option as in this thread, but unfortunately iam struck as all the functionality of the cheap LC projector ( either Lalantika or Favi or the pagaria ones as the are all single LCD ones, technically the native resoultions will be more akin to home made CRT/LCD cardboard projectors and should be veiwable only in an dark closeted room) Whereas i want to do gaming in day or night hence the concern.
Yes, most of the cheap ones have native resolution of 640x480 and are single LCD bulky ones. You can get SVGA one too, but it would cost same as a SVGA DLP projector. The bulb cost saving is something still a gray area.

I have liked the review of Benq MP512 and it also fits in my budget but since you have it i would like to ask you on the following converns that i have

1)How is the quality of Benq MP512, have you used it for gaming
To be frank, I use it mostly for movies and cricket (indian's favourite sport) and occasionally for home videos taken from handycam. Just to answer your query, I dug out my PS2 and hooked it to the projector. Though the video quality wasn't awesome, but wasn't bad either. It was pretty decent and thanks to you I could play car race against my wife and won...not all days you can win against your wife :eek:hyeah:

2)is there any flicker while using it in the first 100 hours.
Not et al. I just checked and my PJ is showing 102 hours. Is it a known problem? I wonder someone who told you might have a lose connections. Always hook it to a separate wall socket totally avoiding multi-plug and if possible use a UPS.

3) Is it decently viewable in a non lit daytime enovironment ( 400 Lumi )
I happen to have a glass window on top of my door and its not covered. The sunlight comes in from there and thats good enough reflecting on whole of right side of the projection. But still its decent enough to watch. With lights-off, its awesome. I use it day/night without much of a trouble.

4) You mentioned it was available for 30K @ incl of all taxes where did you get it from , Iam from Aurangabad( Mumbai also is fine as i have my home there)
I picked it from here in Chandigarh. You may try itgear.in from Pune. He gave much better pricing. That price was in Feb-09, it must be bit cheaper now.

5) How good is eco mode
You can hardly make out the difference; feel like 5-10% of loss in brightness.

Hope this shall be of some help to you.

Cheers!
Arminder

Hi guys,

For folks in bangalore, i found a place where they sell the single LCD projector,

Here is the address,

Melody Electronics,
3/1, 1st Floor, Shop No.7
PR Lane. SP road cross,
Bangalore 02
Ph: 080-41224606

You can contact the shop owner Amit Dugar ( 9620182250) if you need any guidance, he seems to be new to banaglore and to the world of consumer electronics, but his shop is full of interesting gadgets!!!

Good luck for the search of your projector,
Yogi

FaviEntertainment is a better brand in this segment, currently in association with DIY PJ parts company called LumenLab, from where I got my DIY PJ parts.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back