Cheap vs. Expensive Subwoofers Review (Emotiva SE12, Rythmik L12, REL HT1205, SVS SB3000)

I have a cheap sub. I've never heard of the brand too. Welling WS8. Its just 80 watts. I took a gamble with it by just looking at it. Long throw speaker in a nice heavy, ported cabinet. I bought it used. I had an agreement with the used audio dealer to bring it back if I did not like it. He had 12 different subs and I could trial them all. The sub was missing rubber feet and being bottom ported, I had to lift it off the ground. I purchased some off the shelf rubber feet and got it going. When it comes to sound, I can't complain. The bass extension I got was more than satisfactory that I did not bother taking it back. It works great for music. For movies, its definitely missing the impact you'd get from a larger sub. The cone can't quite keep up on continuous stretches of bass from demanding material. I suspect this has more to do with insufficient porting or bad design of the port more than the speaker itself. I am okay with that. My room does not permit a larger sub too. I have massive double glazed glass as windows so its a little risky to play too loud.

I won't rule out all cheap subs. There are some good ones out there. Everyone's requirement and expectation are different.

One thing definitely noticeable. The cheap subs are made to satisfy the mid-bass lovers. Most of the Indian music listeners are worried about the punch around 100-250Hrz. But bass performance in this sound range is very tricky. If the sound is not tuned properly, it makes feel boomy and distorted. Cheap rather low budget subs serve the need but at a cost of sound quality.

I had a sub-30K sub which served its purpose well enough. But once I moved to Rythmik, my experience completely changed. The low extension and the clarity is just heavenly. I am so satisfied now.

Last edited:
I have a cheap sub. I've never heard of the brand too. Welling WS8. Its just 80 watts. I took a gamble with it by just looking at it. Long throw speaker in a nice heavy, ported cabinet. I bought it used. I had an agreement with the used audio dealer to bring it back if I did not like it. He had 12 different subs and I could trial them all. The sub was missing rubber feet and being bottom ported, I had to lift it off the ground. I purchased some off the shelf rubber feet and got it going. When it comes to sound, I can't complain. The bass extension I got was more than satisfactory that I did not bother taking it back. It works great for music. For movies, its definitely missing the impact you'd get from a larger sub. The cone can't quite keep up on continuous stretches of bass from demanding material. I suspect this has more to do with insufficient porting or bad design of the port more than the speaker itself. I am okay with that. My room does not permit a larger sub too. I have massive double glazed glass as windows so its a little risky to play too loud.

I won't rule out all cheap subs. There are some good ones out there. Everyone's requirement and expectation are different.
Can u plz PM me the contacts of the used Audio Dealer

One thing definitely noticeable. The cheap subs are made to satisfy the mid-bass lovers. Most of the Indian music listeners are worried about the punch around 100-250Hrz. But bass performance in this sound range is very tricky. If the sound is not tuned properly, it makes feel boomy and distorted. Cheap rather low budget subs serve the need but at a cost of sound quality.

I had a sub-30K sub which served its purpose well enough. But once I moved to Rythmik, my experience completely changed. The low extension and the clarity is just heavenly. I am so satisfied now.
What is the price for Rythmik L12 and which dealers sell it in Delhi/NCR

I am not sure if I would want to categorize any audio equipment as cheap /expensive !
good or bad yes, since we have examples of low cost surprises as well as expensive shockers.
Very true ! It's generally implementation of good design vs bad design. Sometimes cheaper equipment sounds better than some more expensive ones.

We should include a review of Indian subwoofer like QAcoustic QB12 Vs foreign brands.
Qacoustics is a foreign brand. Maybe Sonodyne , Indiq etc. I recollect there was one subwoofer manufacturer( cannot recollect the name) in Thane, Mumbai with which a FM was very happy with.

Last edited:
Can u plz PM me the contacts of the used Audio Dealer
I report from Wellington, New Zealand so not applicable to list here.
If you're still curious, its WT Audio, Lower Hutt. There is no website. It a shop stacked with audio equipment. If I add up everything, I think it would be close to, possibly over a hundred components on site! Everything you buy can be returned if you don't like it. They repair too.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back