Confused between Toshiba and Sharp

shailen82

Dear friends

I have thought to buy 40 inch LED TV after my 32inch samsung TV panel malfunctioned. Have shortlisted Toshiba and Sharp TV mainly due to the fact that they are giving 3 year warranty and their PQ is at least at par if not better than Sammy/LG/Sony/Panasonic. Not at all looking at sammy/LG/Pana/Sony as they have 1 yr warranty only and extended warranty comes at a cost. Accordingly, have shortlisted the following (almost same features) which I am getting at nearly the same price:

Toshiba PS 200
Toshiba PU 200 (2k low than PS 200)
Sharp LC-39LE440M (price at par with ps 200)

Both PS 200 and LE440M are edge lit while PU 200 is back lit which means PU 200 should have better PQ though haven't checked it. This also creates a doubt that if PU is a back lit then why its priced lower than PS. Further PS 200/PU 200 have slightly more features than sharp model. I am really confused as to whether I should opt for Toshiba or Sharp. I really don't have any idea on the quality of panel Sharp and Toshiba (though sharp is a renowned name in US ) have, how is the after sales service and how would they perform. Guys pls help out.

shailen82, I feel your pain.

Keeping all things equal, go for Sharp as this model panel is Made in Japan and TV assembled in Indonesia!

--
helium= HTPC Asus Xonar ST + Sansui Au-317 + Luxman M-06a + Magnepan For sale: Polk Audio LSi9/ Vintage B&W Dm4/ Cdp-CA 640c V2

Hi Shailen,

I think you should check this out by comparing your selected model with 40 inches.

Maybe the Sharp model you have selected, the panel is not Made in Japan.

However the 40 inches is and it has got some really useful features over the 39 inches.

Give me some time while I go through both the sites to help you make a decision.

By the way, what are the prices being quoted?

Vinod

Hi Shailen,

I think you should check this out by comparing your selected model with 40 inches.

Maybe the Sharp model you have selected, the panel is not Made in Japan.

However the 40 inches is and it has got some really useful features over the 39 inches.

Give me some time while I go through both the sites to help you make a decision.

By the way, what are the prices being quoted?

Vinod

thanks for the reply..I am gettng offer at 33.5K for both PS200 and Sharp after considering the exchange on my old kaput tv..

If you spend most of your time on your TV watching daily serials & News channels, you could also conisder Samsung 43inch plasma 43F4100 Approx 35K...

You get a good 10 incher bigger screen for the money.... But the resolution is less... Around 800 X 480... So SD channels should look good on that.... I think you get default 2 yrs warranty with this model....

I checked few weeks back....

If you spend most of your time on your TV watching daily serials & News channels, you could also conisder Samsung 43inch plasma 43F4100 Approx 35K...

You get a good 10 incher bigger screen for the money.... But the resolution is less... Around 800 X 480... So SD channels should look good on that.... I think you get default 2 yrs warranty with this model....

I checked few weeks back....

I would personally not recommend it, as Samsung calls it "Enhanced definition" although I fail to understand what is so enhancing about it except an extremely low resolution. Hence the low price. Better would be the Samsung 4900 if you want Samsung.

Another bet would be the LG plasma which is also getting bandied about in our forum which is the 4500, but then it is HD resolution at around market price of Rs 35000, no exchange.

But if you are insistent on the FHD resolution the sharp seems to be a good bet being a Japanese panel, but of course nothing can be decided without your showroom demo.

One more thing to look out for is whether it is edge lit, full back light, IPS or VA panel etc. But of course this is all subjective to other electronic factors.

Last edited:
Not sure how much your budget is... If it is around 40K then you also consider Samsung 4900 Plasma model.... It looks really good...

I am telling this after taking a demo of 51F4900 Plasma model....

I have bought Toshiba PU200. Using it for 3 months and is quite happy.
I like the PQ and its quite user friendly.
I havent auditioned Sharp yet. None of the showrooms I visited here had it in display. It takes most of the formats. I have connected my 500GB hdd here and it reads it pretty fine.
I thing i notices was that If i connect my external HDD and turn off the TV, it will not turn on unless I disconnect the external drive. USB stick connected is just fine.

About your samsung panel - what is the problem? I had an issue with my Sony BX300 panel. The screen just bloated up forming air bubbles inside. It was a 2.5 year set. Complained with Sony and they replaced the panel free of cost. (Had to take it to their FB page though)

Thanks all of your suggestion..
glen7x..my sammy panel half of the picture is coming..have tried everything rty from posting the msg on fb..but in vain..thats y i m not happy with sammy..
Further had visited a TV outlet nearby which had Toshiba only..sales guy told me PS200/PU200 are old model and have been discontinued (though i dont believe)..further they didnt have the stock..rather toshiba has launched new model ..comparable to ps 200/pu 200 is p2305..P2305 is replica of PS200 except that the panel refresh rate is 100Hz while its 50Hz in the other 2 model..when toshiba says its 100Hz it actually is 100Hz..not like samsung which says its 100Hz but in actuality its 50Hz only..(What is the Refresh Rate?)
Also P2305 is back lit and has speakers in the front..chekd the PQ ..it was at par with comparable sony model..they have quoted a price of 36k ...but i think i will get at 35-34.5k..
may be 100Hz motion rate may push me towards this model..

Last edited:
Thanks all of your suggestion..
glen7x..my sammy panel half of the picture is coming..have tried everything rty from posting the msg on fb..but in vain..thats y i m not happy with sammy..
Further had visited a TV outlet nearby which had Toshiba only..sales guy told me PS200/PU200 are old model and have been discontinued (though i dont believe)..further they didnt have the stock..rather toshiba has launched new model ..comparable to ps 200/pu 200 is p2305..P2305 is replica of PS200 except that the panel refresh rate is 100Hz while its 50Hz in the other 2 model..when toshiba says its 100Hz it actually is 100Hz..not like samsung which says its 100Hz but in actuality its 50Hz only..(What is the Refresh Rate?)
Also P2305 is back lit and has speakers in the front..chekd the PQ ..it was at par with comparable sony model..they have quoted a price of 36k ...but i think i will get at 35-34.5k..
may be 100Hz motion rate may push me towards this model..

What is the size of the screen you got this quote for? There is another model L3300 which is priced at a higher level than 2305 - any review on this.

finally bought the Toshiba p2305 after lot of deliberations..so far so good (PQ is very good with awesome sound clarity)..lets see how it performs...atleast 3 saal to chain sa rahunga..phir dekha jayega...:)

finally bought the Toshiba p2305 after lot of deliberations..so far so good (PQ is very good with awesome sound clarity)..lets see how it performs...atleast 3 saal to chain sa rahunga..phir dekha jayega...:)

Congrats for the purchase:clapping:. It is perhaps the best value for money option in the market. Take some snaps of the TV in action and post a thorough review.

Congratulations for your purchase :clapping: even I am looking to purchase Toshiba/Sony/Sharp , please share your reviews.price

How much did it cost? getting quote of 39K with 3 yr warranty. How is it performing?

Swarna/sammy..thanks

My exp till dats is as follows:

I got this tv at 31.5 k u/e of my 32 inch sammy lcd..if u take out the exchange ..its fair price shud be at..35-35.5k..best deal wud be at 34-34.5k..squeeze the dealers..

This tv is really value for money..even i was hesitant to go for toshiba like others...but as i have said my main criteria was warranty owing to higher panel failure rate of LED tvs (else one shud go for ext warranty)..i just shortlisted sharp and toshiba..then checked up the specs..pq..vol..sound clarity..and finally the customer care (this is very important..toshiba guys are at your doorstep on a call..i found this missing in sharp given the fact that i m in capital of India)...in all aspects i found toshiba a good bet..hence went and bought this beast..

Now coming to its performance..believe me its as good as sammy or sony..
i come from a samsung background..comparing to sammy..i found toshiba has used cheaper plastic and hasn't given due considerations on the build quality ..same also applies to its remote...sammy used good quality of material both for tv and its remote..it really gave a solid feel..as a result i found this tv very light ..however it has its own merit and demerits..

Anyways if we seen the performance..then i don't see any difference neither in the PQ nor in the sound compared to my earlier model..after all once sees a 39-40 inc tv at a distance of 8-10 feet..haven't faced any issues in playing usb files (i m using 1tb hdd)..but till now i have tested only mkv files..found to be smooth..also played games thru ps3..no problem occurred..one may note that it hasn't got a headphone jack..one has to manage thru the components given at the back..
just attaching few pics..however I recommend to go n have a demo before buying it..

The going so far has been fair..lets see how it moves ahead with 3 yrs warranty....but one thing is for sure.."don't underestimate the power of ...Toshiba"..lol..:)

Attachments

• P1050305.jpg
    P1050305.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 156
  • P1050302.JPG
    P1050302.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 153
  • P1050304.JPG
    P1050304.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Hey i'm new here n i'm also thinking abt getting this tv! Can you pls post a few pics of Star Sports HD 1,Star Sports HD 2,Star Movies HD,NGC HD and Sony HD?

Congrats on the purchase man. Did you demo Sharp?
Swarna/sammy..thanks

My exp till dats is as follows:

I got this tv at 31.5 k u/e of my 32 inch sammy lcd..if u take out the exchange ..its fair price shud be at..35-35.5k..best deal wud be at 34-34.5k..squeeze the dealers..

This tv is really value for money..even i was hesitant to go for toshiba like others...but as i have said my main criteria was warranty owing to higher panel failure rate of LED tvs (else one shud go for ext warranty)..i just shortlisted sharp and toshiba..then checked up the specs..pq..vol..sound clarity..and finally the customer care (this is very important..toshiba guys are at your doorstep on a call..i found this missing in sharp given the fact that i m in capital of India)...in all aspects i found toshiba a good bet..hence went and bought this beast..

Now coming to its performance..believe me its as good as sammy or sony..
i come from a samsung background..comparing to sammy..i found toshiba has used cheaper plastic and hasn't given due considerations on the build quality ..same also applies to its remote...sammy used good quality of material both for tv and its remote..it really gave a solid feel..as a result i found this tv very light ..however it has its own merit and demerits..

Anyways if we seen the performance..then i don't see any difference neither in the PQ nor in the sound compared to my earlier model..after all once sees a 39-40 inc tv at a distance of 8-10 feet..haven't faced any issues in playing usb files (i m using 1tb hdd)..but till now i have tested only mkv files..found to be smooth..also played games thru ps3..no problem occurred..one may note that it hasn't got a headphone jack..one has to manage thru the components given at the back..
just attaching few pics..however I recommend to go n have a demo before buying it..

The going so far has been fair..lets see how it moves ahead with 3 yrs warranty....but one thing is for sure.."don't underestimate the power of ...Toshiba"..lol..:)

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back