Cover Story - Best of Cover/Alternate Versions of Songs

I really like Eric Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight" cover done by a Japanese artist Sho Amano.....The song is from the album Bass & Voice.... have searched extensively over the internet to get a copy of this album to no avail.. All I could find was this video on youtube by Kenrick Sound which has the song... (go To 8.50 time mark).

Sho Amano - Wonderful Tonight

ARR's Aigiri Nandini:

There are a brother sister duo called Gopal Navale,guitar and Geetha Navale, Veena. They had a music school called Guruskool around Banglaore. They briefly had a band called Esperanto who did a fantastic version of Aigiri Nandini. There was the veena, guitar, saxophone and a kickass drum solo. I bought the CD in college and loved the version of the song/prayer/mantra (I don't know what to call it) not knowing nothing where it comes from or the meaning of it. I have tried to google and search on various websites this version of the song. would be great if I could get my hands on it. please do share if somebody has heard it or has a copy. Does seem unimportant to chase a song you heard in college but it really brings back fond memories.

Last edited:
Fellow FMs,

Most of the time I've been lurking around the forum discussing gear.
Occasionally I've added my two bits to the content sub forum.
So, now that I'm set with my gear for a while to come, thought came about to shift "gears".
One of the main beneficial side effects of this forum is content appreciation.
After all, we purchase all elements in our rig to enjoy the music or the movie.
I'm not a movie buff, just watch them when I find the time.
But when it comes to music, I do like to let my mind and search engine wander a bit.

This said, I've been mulling a thread which aggregates original versions of popular songs (or not).
The twist being, add one or more interesting cover versions of the original to the mix.
Cover versions have always fascinated me, in the sense that artists/bands take the time and effort to re-render them.
Each cover brings about the cover artist's own eclectic style infusion.
Some good, some bad, some ape-shit crazy.
Generally, I don't look for exact imitations, they are usually boring.
Some of the covers jump genres, and that's when it gets interesting.

Here is a suggested format for fellow members to contribute.
Song Name + Original Artist/Band Name
Video/Audio link (if available in public domain)

followed by one or more cover versions (that piqued your interest)

Cover Artist/Band Name (add a few words on why you liked it or hated it)
Video/Audio link (if available in public domain)

Cheers,
Raghu

Let's start off with a cool song!!

Daddy Cool - Original by Boney M (check out the moves by Bobby Farrell, that's Disco :D)

Daddy Cool - Cover by Placebo (nice reverb on base)

Daddy Cool - Cover by The Carburetors (loved this one, the pace and noise gel well, and a bit of lead guitar)

Daddy Cool - Cover by The Traceelords (a bit of rock, a bit of funk)

Cheers,
Raghu

A number that I usually use to close out many a long music listening session.

Wish You Were Here - Original by Pink Floyd (for those who didn't know, this is a tribute to their buddy Syd Barrett)

Many artists/bands have covered this song. It's almost beaten to death by well known cover artists.
So I won't list any of those here. The ones that really interested me were:

Wish You Were Here - Cover by Gat Brothers (something about this version brings a warm smile to my face)

Wish You Were Here - Cover by Alpha Blondy (a Rastafari touch to a sombre number, so couldn't resist Alpha Blondy is a popular artist)

Wish You Were Here - Cover by Project Sarangi (this one I stumbled upon today; instrumental, the melancholy is uniquely amplified by the Sarangi)

Cheers,
Raghu

Norweigan Wood by the Beatles on Rubber Soul Album. Sitar by Geroge Harisson.

Tejinder Singh, lead vocalist of the British Band, Cornershop who had the hit Brimful of Asha,(referring/tribute to Asha Bhonsle No. 1 on british charts then) literally translated the exact lyrics of Norweigan Wood into Punjabi. Included on the same album "When I was born for the seventh time". This is a later live version.I love it and great drunken night trivia it was. :) Also had a song called "when the light appears Boy" a Allen Ginsberg poem, I think interspersed with a Soorma/mascara seller telling you how taking care of eyes and eye sight is important (in Pinjabi again) and a full blown punjabi wedding band music. apologies to folks who dont understand the language.

PM Dawn, 90s pop has a "memory drift" and is probably very personal, the association of it, needless to add a nice rendition nonetheless.

Last edited:
I had the good fortune of listening to Dolores O'Riordan (Cranberries) in 2001 or something.
It was in San Francisco at The Fillmore (a closed auditorium).
My wife and I were probably 40 feet from the stage or something like that.
Was a big fan of their music already, but boy this concert blew my mind away.
Here is an all important number from Dolores/Cranberries.

Zombie - Original by Cranberries (that voice was one of a kind)

The version below was supposed to be recorded with Dolores in the lead, music by Bad Wolves.
Unfortunately, it only ended up as a cover since the music world lost Dolores to suicide.
Zombie - Cover by Bad Wolves (these guys have done justice to the original)

Now here is a very different take from a singer next door.
It's a rendition of the song in Urdu and English.
The lady's voice is to be admired, even though I don't fully understand Urdu.
Zombie - Cover by Bakht Arif

Cheers,
Raghu

I had the good fortune of listening to Dolores O'Riordan (Cranberries) in 2001 or something.
It was in San Francisco at The Fillmore (a closed auditorium).
My wife and I were probably 40 feet from the stage or something like that.
Was a big fan of their music already, but boy this concert blew my mind away.
Here is an all important number from Dolores/Cranberries.

Zombie - Original by Cranberries (that voice was one of a kind)

The version below was supposed to be recorded with Dolores in the lead, music by Bad Wolves.
Unfortunately, it only ended up as a cover since the music world lost Dolores to suicide.
Zombie - Cover by Bad Wolves (these guys have done justice to the original)

Now here is a very different take from a singer next door.
It's a rendition of the song in Urdu and English.
The lady's voice is to be admired, even though I don't fully understand Urdu.
Zombie - Cover by Bakht Arif

Cheers,
Raghu
That must have been really great Raghu to enjoy the concert so up close. This cover is great. Really enjoyed her singing it, minus the facial makeup.

Two extraordinary covers of Nina Simone"s two wonderful songs. One raspy and smooth and the other will give you goosebumps. Both are part of entire albums devoted to the Goddess of Soul.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back