Denon 1513 and Wharfedale MS 100 Speaker

Hi Rupam,

I have decided to go with Wharfedale Moviestar MS-100 HCP and Yamaha 373.

One query I have is, does speaker package contains wires or I have to order separately ?

Hi Rupam,

I have decided to go with Wharfedale Moviestar MS-100 HCP and Yamaha 373.

One query I have is, does speaker package contains wires or I have to order separately ?

No speaker package does not include wire. Buy 16 AWG wire. Speaker package includes 5 wall mounts + spikes for subwoofers. Whats the price you have been quoted?

No speaker package does not include wire. Buy 16 AWG wire. Speaker package includes 5 wall mounts + spikes for subwoofers. Whats the price you have been quoted?

Thanks Rupam
I will be ordering from hifimart online.
Total package as per online price coming 59780.
Along with speakers and avr, will be ordering dac 16 awg and subwoofer cable.
Can you please tell me how many meters of cable required for 12 x 15 room?

Length of wire depends on how you plan to run the cable in the room. The best solution is to mesure the total distance of running wire from the AVR to 5 speakers. Then order accordingly. But keep 4,5 meters extra when you buy it. For me 25 meters were sufficient.
Decide before cutting the wire if you are happy with the cable arrangement.

Hi Rupam

need your help. i have a 20*12 room with 17 ft viewing distance. Do you think MS100 with Denon X1000 will sufice or I need to think about DX1 or diamond series.

Rupam,

100 HCP - It is a 3" paper cone.
DX1 - It is a 3" Woven PP bass cone.

Which one is good. What is the key difference. There are some experts says 'Paper' is best. But the DX1 is priced more than 100 HCP. Confused.!

Since you have heared both, Please explain the diffrences in terms of listening experince.

Finally Have order MS 100 HCP and Yamaha 375 from HiFiMart.

Now waiting for it to arrive. Special thanks to rupam.

Rupam,

100 HCP - It is a 3" paper cone.
DX1 - It is a 3" Woven PP bass cone.

Which one is good. What is the key difference. There are some experts says 'Paper' is best. But the DX1 is priced more than 100 HCP. Confused.!

Since you have heared both, Please explain the diffrences in terms of listening experince.

If you like the sound of DX-1 then go for it. But if don't find any difference then, Polypropylene is not making any difference in your ears.
Remember that there is no audio quality advantage in using either Polypropylene or paper cone. In most modern speakers it is not the paper or poly cones that fail but the foam surrounds that are attached to them.
The actual material used to make the cone is but one small factor affecting the performance of a driver. There's some incredibly good sounding, high-end (and expensive) paper woofers out there that'll wipe the floor with alot of Polypropylene, aluminum, Kevlar, etc. drivers.
What I'm trying to say is that don't break your head over the material used in speakers. Listen to the sound, pick whichever you like.

The subwoofer of MS 100 is Rated Power Output 75WRMS
The subwoofer of DX-1 is Rated Power Output 70W RMS

Hi Rupam

My requirement is 100% movies. Can you suggest any good package for this? I am going to designer audio mumbai this weekend to take a demo of Wharfedale ms-100. He does not have DX-1 in stock and hence cannot demo that. After reading so much reviews from you guys on MS-100 and DX-1 I was planning to pick up one of these as it was looking like a safe option. Do you think Boston Acoustics A 2310HTS Home Theater Speaker Package is better than MS-100 or DX-1?

Floorstanders is not an option as my house is quite cramped and do not have space for these big speakers. any suggestion on wall mounted ones is really helpful. If DX-1 is not sufficient, should I think about a seperate center, left, right and woofer package? what could be options there?

@Rupam, I know DX1 is a lot costlier than MS 100 or even 70+. What kind of difference would a listener notice in terms of quality? (I don't have an option to demo them at my end, hence this query).

same is my confusion. The main problem is that DX-1 is not available for demo anywhere before Dec but MS-100 is available. Also MS-100 is priced at 38000 at hifimart and DX-1 is priced at 63000. That is almost 65% more cost.
I was reading some technical stuff and I am under impression that the sub needs to be more powerful to get good cinematic experience. Whereas in case of MS-100 the sub is more powerful than DX-1 but DX-1 is far more costly.

can someone help to identify?

hi Rupam,
What was the total package weight of MS 100, i you remember? I checked at Amazon Uk it says 100kg!! i don't think so and the cost about 229 pounds (Rs 23k going by present exchange rate). On the other hand DX 1 total weight is about 23kg only and cost 379 pounds( about Rs 38k). I'm presently in UK and will return to India soon. Was thinking of purchasing online from Amazon and carry back home. what do you say? Is it worth paying excess luggage and customs duty than paying Rs 63 k for Dx1 in India?

same is my confusion. The main problem is that DX-1 is not available for demo anywhere before Dec but MS-100 is available. Also MS-100 is priced at 38000 at hifimart and DX-1 is priced at 63000. That is almost 65% more cost.
I was reading some technical stuff and I am under impression that the sub needs to be more powerful to get good cinematic experience. Whereas in case of MS-100 the sub is more powerful than DX-1 but DX-1 is far more costly.

can someone help to identify?

Yogesh, 63k for DX -1 is way too expensive. Its only 379 pounds in UK which is about 38K in Indian currency. If we consider another 10k for transport and duty (they order in bulk) it should be maximum 45-48k, not more than that.

Finally Have order MS 100 HCP and Yamaha 375 from HiFiMart.

Now waiting for it to arrive. Special thanks to rupam.

Hi Jigarpatel,

Would like to know if you got the package delivered? Pls do post reviews on your experience. I am also looking for something similar package.

Regards,
Shrinivas D

Hi Jigarpatel,

Would like to know if you got the package delivered? Pls do post reviews on your experience. I am also looking for something similar package.

Regards,
Shrinivas D

Hi Shrinivas,

I will surly post my review, Mostly it will be delivered today.

Please note that I am not a audiophile person.
Also brought system based on reviews posted by FM and recommendation.
In fact this is my first 5.1 HT system :)

Just for your information, ordering from HiFIMart.

They have MS-100 and Denon x500.
Hope this will help you.

Regards,
Jigar Patel

Hi Jigar Patel,

Appreciate your swift reply!!!
We both are in same boat as I am also not a audiophile :)..me too just deciding based on reviews posted on this forum. I had been to Maharashtra Electronics (Camp area) to have demo ... They had Mc60 5.1 package + yamaha but the sound was great experince. Hence have shortlisted MC100 / Dx1.

Congratulation on your first hifi 5.1 !!!!
Can understand that you might be so much excited about unpacking after delivery !!! :)

Thanks for the above address... I will visit them. Hope MC100 / Dx1 sufficient for 13*13 room. I have posted detailed query on this forum ..different thread.

Regards,
Shrinivas D

hi Rupam,
What was the total package weight of MS 100, i you remember? I checked at Amazon Uk it says 100kg!! i don't think so and the cost about 229 pounds (Rs 23k going by present exchange rate). On the other hand DX 1 total weight is about 23kg only and cost 379 pounds( about Rs 38k). I'm presently in UK and will return to India soon. Was thinking of purchasing online from Amazon and carry back home. what do you say? Is it worth paying excess luggage and customs duty than paying Rs 63 k for Dx1 in India?

The package is quite heavy as I lifted it from ground floor to 3rd floor in my flat. But its surely not 100 Kg. If it was 100 kg I would have been in Guinness Book. :lol:

The subwoofer is around 8.5 kg and 5 satellites are (4X 0.66 kg) + centre is 0.81 = 12 KG + The carton weight 1 kg = 13 Kg. (approx)

Dx1 is now too costly. I would advice you to go for MS 100 instead now.

Received my Wharfedale Moviestar MS-100 HCP Home Theatre Cinema Package

This was a blind buy, without any demo of Speaker or AVR, however it turns out to be great. :eek:hyeah:

Currently my surround speaker is on floor, also just did automatic settings with "YPAO".

Following is my short review, against my requirement.

Requirement
  1. 50% Movies - I have tried various Dolby Demo Disc, also Matrix movie lobby sense, surround effect was great, can here bullet shell hitting floor at back side as Neo Progress. Really liked it.
  2. 40% Gaming - Unfortunately was not able to test it, as my favorite game COD - Modern Warfare 3, even after setting audio to 5.1, it was outputting 2.0 :mad:
  3. 10% Music - Tried various Bollywood flac, loved the music, never thought music would be so much crystal clear.

Please recommend some settings for "bass".
When I was watching Matrix lobby scene, after it Helicopter crash in building and have large explosion, "Sub-woofer" "bass" did not sounded like big explosion.

Overall very satisfied with my purchase. :yahoo:

A Special thanks to "Rupam" for providing much needed information. :clapping:

Received my Wharfedale Moviestar MS-100 HCP Home Theatre Cinema Package

This was a blind buy, without any demo of Speaker or AVR, however it turns out to be great. :eek:hyeah:

Currently my surround speaker is on floor, also just did automatic settings with "YPAO".

Following is my short review, against my requirement.

Requirement
  1. 50% Movies - I have tried various Dolby Demo Disc, also Matrix movie lobby sense, surround effect was great, can here bullet shell hitting floor at back side as Neo Progress. Really liked it.
  2. 40% Gaming - Unfortunately was not able to test it, as my favorite game COD - Modern Warfare 3, even after setting audio to 5.1, it was outputting 2.0 :mad:
  3. 10% Music - Tried various Bollywood flac, loved the music, never thought music would be so much crystal clear.

Please recommend some settings for "bass".
When I was watching Matrix lobby scene, after it Helicopter crash in building and have large explosion, "Sub-woofer" "bass" did not sounded like big explosion.

Overall very satisfied with my purchase. :yahoo:

A Special thanks to "Rupam" for providing much needed information. :clapping:

Congrats on your purchase. Post some pics for our pleasure. Subwoofer is powerful but needs to be adjusted/increased in order to suit your room and environment. Did you use bluray?

Subwoofer settings -- Keep the Sub volume at (power) 3 o'clock position.
Keep the Cross over setting to max.

Next On your receiver go to Advance options > Adjusting the volume of the different speakers> Press CH LEVEL turn up the subwoofer volume by +5 db.

Let me know if there is any improvement.

Last edited:
Back