DIY: Pass F5 turbo v2 initiated

Om,

Is there a way I can get similar heatsinks as well.

Thanks.
Yes, by a weeks notice they made it.

But how to get it shipped? It weighs ~5-6Kg per piece. I could not carry two of them by hand upto car and our FM svaze was luckily with me to help on. :D

Yes, by a weeks notice they made it.

But how to get it shipped? It weighs ~5-6Kg per piece. I could not carry two of them by hand upto car and our FM svaze was luckily with me to help on. :D

DTDC can transport. It does not cost much. The guy who makes it can hand over to DTDC I guess.

Om,

Torotrans does surface shipping using Anjani Courier
from pune, very decent & cost effective
kroy

F5 Turbo V2 or V3 requires matched Fairchild output MOSFETs. Hope you guys have gotten your required pairs from the group buy going on at DIYA.

Where is bhasker??I think he was looking out for a UK sailing.

If he gets them I'll take 16.. Maybe for F6..giving Turbo a bye.

Talking of heat dissipation, a noob question. Why can't stuff like cooler master be used here? If they can work for gaming PCs they can work here as well.
Captain a very slow speed noiseless fan can surely be used.
Regards

And don't underestimate our ceiling fans.
My practical experience with and without the fan running
is to the order of 5-8 degree, but your mileage will vary based on relative position
of the amp and fan

Re: DIY: Pass F5 turbo v2 boards update

Hi all,
Om has made final version for F5 turbo v2 boards.I am attaching images of each type of PCB.
F5 V2
3fullboardver3.png

By sachu888 at 2012-08-22

Power Supply Filter
psfilterver1.png

Power Supply Rectifier
psrectifierver1.png

We can start GB for above boards.One PCB set contains 2 X F5 V2 boards + 2 X Power supply filter boards and 1 X Power supply rectifier(Total 5 boards).All boards will be double sided,2 MM thick FR4 material,70um copper,Green Solder mask,with any lead free finish etc.One PCB set would cost you Rs 3000(approx) if 10 or more members are ready.
Jims Audio or any other F5 boards are 1.6 mm thick with copper finish of 35um(this is just for comparison).Let us know your views.

Regards,
Sachin

Kudos to Sachin and Om, you guys are doing a great job. I have a couple of queries.

1. What are the dimensions for the boards?

2. What would be the cost of BOM viz
- Components
- Transformer
- Cabinet(s)

Kudos to Sachin and Om, you guys are doing a great job. I have a couple of queries.

1. What are the dimensions for the boards?

2. What would be the cost of BOM viz
- Components
- Transformer
- Cabinet(s)

Hi Capt,
1.PCB dimensions in MM:

F5 Amp: 292.1 X 41.91
PS Rect: 209.55 X 36.83
PS Filter: 199.39 X 82.55

2. Cost

- Components - Unknown
- Transformer - Rs 2600 for two trafo
- Cabinet - Rs 8000(approx for DIY)

Regards,
Sachin

2. Cost

- Components - Unknown

We need to work out the cost for the components.

BTW, are the two trafos one for each channel? In that case, do we need to order two cabinets @ 8k each :eek: or it is for both channels? Does it also include the heatsinks which I forgot to list?

We need to work out the cost for the components.

BTW, are the two trafos one for each channel? In that case, do we need to order two cabinets @ 8k each :eek: or it is for both channels? Does it also include the heatsinks which I forgot to list?

Hi Capt.
Yes one trafo for each channel.We will need only one cab for this.The idea is to make Dual mono(separate power supply and trafo for each channel in same cab).This includes the heatsink.The price for Cab is only Approx.I don't know any local source who can build it for ourself.I am 100% sure I can make cab for myself within Rs 8000 including heatsinks.

Regards,
Sachin

Meanwhile I dropped email to Nelson Pass about seeking his blessing cum permission for making PCB. I sent this pics to him to seek his suggestion and changes if any.

Hi Capt,
Hi Sachin, thanks for posting all photos.

I think transformer is little heavy here and it cost me Rs 1500 each without bill. For any net/online transaction please add 12.5% VAT + local taxes of your city and courier charges. Mr Mahesh from torotrans has done wonderful job. Just today I collected my toroidal in person.

As per Mr Nelson Pass' suggestion transformer should be double of amplifier dissipation. So for 124W dissipation I took 300VA for each channel.

Some more information on the PCB design thoughts -
  1. AMP BOARD: This has length little less than 300mm to accommodate heatsink tolerances. Also power supply and output has mirrored on both sides. Input has shortest track and away from output track which could be flowing high current. All heat dissipating devices are equally spaced at 2" from either side and amongst them. Turbo diodes are sandwiched in between them
  2. PS Filter: This is CRC filter where you can add big caps (snap in). Here I tried to use all available copper in board. So maximum current handling with larger surfaces. Here we get PGND referrence from 2 X (+ -) of rectifier board.
  3. PS rectifier: People were using double block rectifiers. But high speed diodes are always good because at switching off point there are bigger charged caps on one end while large VA toroidal transformer at other end of diode. Any slow switching off its "gate" calls for high reverse current and large spike of noise. This is eliminated with pair of high speed diodes and snubber caps of 0.1uF. This was NP suggestion at DIYAudio forum. Also somebody referred here improved by using this method.
All have wire pads paired where you can add PCB and terminal clip for wire ends.

Last edited:
Hi Capt,
1.PCB dimensions in MM:

2. Cost

- Components - Unknown

OK, things are finally getting heated up:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Some noobie questions:
1) Components: where do we buy the components from? Is there someone selling the exact BoM?
2) Transformers: are these toroidal? Can I get them locally made from the guy who made it for my MyRef build? Or is Torotrans quite good?
3) Cabinet - Rs 8000 (approx for DIY) : does this include the heatsinks? Also, it is already assembled, or will it be some sort of a flat pack that needs assembly? And is it already painted or anodised?

Last, but not the least, the V2 is for 100W, right?

OK, things are finally getting heated up:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Some noobie questions:
1) Components: where do we buy the components from? Is there someone selling the exact BoM?
2) Transformers: are these toroidal? Can I get them locally made from the guy who made it for my MyRef build? Or is Torotrans quite good?
3) Cabinet - Rs 8000 (approx for DIY) : does this include the heatsinks? Also, it is already assembled, or will it be some sort of a flat pack that needs assembly? And is it already painted or anodised?

Last, but not the least, the V2 is for 100W, right?
Hi Joshua,
1.All components will be imported from Digikey/Mouser/Element14 etc.We need to buy it from different sources.I am not comfortable with Ebay seller selling F5t kits.
2.Yes they are toroidal from Torotrans,Pune.You can buy them from your sources.
3. I have posted approx cost for the cab.I don't have any source for this.Everyone has to manage the cab.It should not cost more than Rs 8000 with heatsinks and anodisation IMO.If you able to source it locally.

V2 is 50W.I don't see any need for 100V class A.V2 50V should be more than sufficient with any setup.
Edit: this Gb will only for PCBs as it will require good amount of investment.I will post links for all required parts.
Regards,
Sachin

Last edited:
Hi Capt,
1.PCB dimensions in MM:

2. Cost

- Components - Unknown

Regards,
Sachin

Sachin,

Where do you get transformers for such low price. I am assuming you are talking of each one at 300VA or more.

Cheers.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back