DIY: Pass F5 turbo v2 initiated

Hi Joshua,
1.All components will be imported from Digikey/Mouser/Element14 etc.We need to buy it from different sources.I am not comfortable with Ebay seller selling F5t kits.
2.Yes they are toroidal from Torotrans,Pune.You can buy them from your sources.
3. I have posted approx cost for the cab.I don't have any source for this.Everyone has to manage the cab.It should not cost more than Rs 8000 with heatsinks and anodisation IMO.If you able to source it locally.

V2 is 50W.I don't see any need for 100V class A.V2 50V should be more than sufficient with any setup.
Edit: this Gb will only for PCBs as it will require good amount of investment.I will post links for all required parts.
Regards,
Sachin

Sachin,

Another question, where are we going to get Fairchild matched FETs? They are the most important ingredient of F5T. We cannot buy them from Mouser/Digikey.

Regards

Om can you change the psu PCB to take 4 pin caps like the Panasonic t-up caps.

The remaining 2 pins are dummies. Of course subject to additional holes do not mess up the traces :).

The reason I'm asking this since Panasonic is one of the best bang for the Buck & above 10k uF
the snapin one's are 4 pin

Last edited:
Are we planning for a V3?

Hi Om,
Even I am curious.....are you thinking of the F5 turbo V1/V2 or V3? I guess V1 & V2 are 50W@8 Ohm and V3 is 100W@8Ohm.

BTW, would you recommend this for a total DIY newbie such as me....(I did complete a successful SSP build recently :)....of course with lots of help from Sachin and you). Don't have much experience with power supplies though :eek:. Am a little hesitant because of the high currents/voltages involved.

Best Regards,
APK

Hi Om,
Even I am curious.....are you thinking of the F5 turbo V1/V2 or V3? I guess V1 & V2 are 50W@8 Ohm and V3 is 100W@8Ohm.

BTW, would you recommend this for a total DIY newbie such as me....(I did complete a successful SSP build recently :)....of course with lots of help from Sachin and you). Don't have much experience with power supplies though :eek:. Am a little hesitant because of the high currents/voltages involved.

Best Regards,
APK

Anand, please find this as an encouragement. you will need some hands on help or patience as this involves thermal management as well. Current and voltages are okay but heat producing parts needs to be tackled. This is not one weekend job for me as well. You could do it but slowly after tallying each step - metal work, soldering etc. PCBs are smallest part while heatsink and metal work remain main thing. You can go through DIYAudio forum, pass lab section where there are many successful builders.

Last edited:
Anand, please this as an encouragement. you will need some hands on help or patience as this involves thermal management as well. Current and voltages are okay but heat producing parts needs to be tackled. This is not one weekend job for me as well. You could do it but slowly after tallying each step - metal work, soldering etc. PCBs are smallest part while heatsink and metal work remain main thing. You can go through DIYAudio forum, pass lab section where there are many successful builders.

Thanks Om....
Still trying to make up my mind....will read up more on this in the forums that you mention. In a way, one of the thrills of DIY is also the 'journey' and if the 'destination' is nice, that's icing on the cake.

BTW, which version of F5 turbo are you considering here?

Best,
Anand.

BTW, which version of F5 turbo are you considering here?
I am targeting V2 as it is moderate power amp with simplest build. Low bias current per device and more power in class A. For V3 one need some cos-coding at input JFET and paralleling of output devices. These are only differences. But that also involves addition of hefty PS and massive heatsink. I am already finding this F5 turbo on bigger side, size comparable with size of vertical tower desktop or any briefcase of (W)24"X(D)13"X(H)6".

Edit: Forgot to add total weight of material.
12Kg 2Xheatsink
7 Kg 2Xtoroidal transformers
6 Kg Aluminum plates
0.5 Kg Screws/Misc
0.7 Kg Parts/Components.
Total = ~25Kg ..still adding

Last edited:
that also involves addition of hefty PS and massive heatsink.

Hi Om, you have missed my query I guess. I'm asking because of the obvious advantages that a heat transferring mechanism like the ones in 'cooler master' or 'Corsair' offers and also because I read in one of the Nelson Pass' writeup that there is some kind of thermal cutoff if the temperature of the heat producing components exceeds optimum temperature, which makes it safe to operate the amps without the fear of a burn off.

Talking of heat dissipation, a noob question. Why can't stuff like cooler master be used here? If they can work for gaming PCs they can work here as well.

Captain a very slow speed noiseless fan can surely be used.

Actually I'm referring to something like this: Buy Corsair CPU Cooler | Corsair CPU Cooler in India

Hi all,
Members interested for F5 Turbo V2

1.Omishra
2.Bswamin
3.Santosh
4.Sachin
5.Capt.Rajesh
Kindly post here if forgot to add anyone.This Gb is only for PCbs.Everyone will need to import their own parts(very few)and cab.I will post links for respective sellers with part no.

Regards,
Sachin

Hi Om, you have missed my query I guess. I'm asking because of the obvious advantages that a heat transferring mechanism like the ones in 'cooler master' or 'Corsair' offers and also because I read in one of the Nelson Pass' writeup that there is some kind of thermal cutoff if the temperature of the heat producing components exceeds optimum temperature, which makes it safe to operate the amps without the fear of a burn off.

Actually I'm referring to something like this: Buy Corsair CPU Cooler | Corsair CPU Cooler in India

Sorry Captain if I missed previous question. If you remember then we talked on this issue over phone - passive v/s powered cooling. I am not aware how silent these CPU coolers are and again those are very costly. Again I don't think it will save any space. Because attaching it will also need some base where MOSFETs will go in and these cooler will be attached to extract heat from that base.

Thanks for reminding me about thermal cutoff. I need to buy one thermostat for 75 deg C cutoff. For permitted range of drift it already has provision of NTC thermistor near each rail of MOSFET.

To all who are contemplating on F5 turbo, after of couple of PM's with Om about the part list this is what i gathered from him

---8 MUR3020 diodes from the amp boards
---16 MUR3020 diodes for the rectifier boards

The MUR3020 are costly around $3 each in Digikey.

So i went ahead and contact DIYAUDIO member BUZZFORB (you can get his contact @diyaudio in the F5 turbo builders thread and this guy ran the GB for F5T on diyaudio). So this is the response i got from him

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The FAirchild MOSFETS fets are $12 for a pair(2n/2p), $32 for a quad(4n/4p), $60 for sextuplet(6n/6p) and $96 for octuplet. I can get as many diodes as you need at $1.50. I used nicer resistors, but could also get Panasonic if you want them. I have another large order to place, so bulk is no problem. I used Fukushima 1R and Caddock mp915 120R vs dual 220R resistors.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The shipping will be in the range of 10~16$ via USPS Standard (or) USPS Prority.

We think it is a extremely good deal for the MUR diodes and the Fairchild parts. We need 4n/4p for V2 which is $32 while the ebay seller in selling IRF parts (not optimal) for $30.

It is up to you how you want to progress with this.

I.
Total = ~25Kg ..still adding

this is pretty accurate
the cases i built ended up weighing 38 kgs EACH ( however with the transport crate )
the sinks were the heaviest part
i think i was using 12kgs/sink in EACH mono

(just make sure your sinks are not small and will dissipate well - get the widest sink you can not the highest)

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back