DIY: Pass F5 turbo v2 initiated

Om,

If we are planning on getting the MOSFETs from diyaudio member BUZZFORB (which kroyin mentioned in post #59), we can get the diodes also from him as it is not very expensive ($1.5 per diode). It should also not cost anything extra in shipping. Dont you think this is better? Is there any other source for MOSFETs you have in mind?

Thanks

Okay, got local source of MUR3060PT /100Rs for PS rectifier purpose. Even I am thinking this could close match for amp board MUR3020WT.

MUR3060PT: packing TO-218, holes are same as TO-247
Remaining parameters are exactly same, we can get some discount as well. What people say?

Om,

If we are planning on getting the MOSFETs from diyaudio member BUZZFORB (which kroyin mentioned in post #59), we can get the diodes also from him as it is not very expensive ($1.5 per diode). It should also not cost anything extra in shipping. Dont you think this is better? Is there any other source for MOSFETs you have in mind?

Thanks

Hi,
The only problem is importing,someone from the group has to take responsibility of importing them.Other source for IRF MOFSET is a seller from Israel.We'll manage everything else.

Regards,
Sachin

Hi,
The only problem is importing,someone from the group has to take responsibility of importing them.Other source for IRF MOFSET is a seller from Israel.We'll manage everything else.
There is no problem getting it from DIYAudio member.

Real problem is getting it in with large quantity like 250+ with each weighing 40 grams and calculate money involved into that. If everybody is buying semiconductors by their own then everybody spend more but simplifies task for all. But this could be avoided.

I am in for the heatsinks. My F5 build is catching dust for a long time. I want to make it play some music and heat my room during the coming winter!

Can we split one big order into batches of 3 and get it shipped to 3 of us? This way, each of the package wont be too large and may avoid any problem.

Otherwise, each participating member should buy it individually. It will increase cost of overall project.

Thanks

There is no problem getting it from DIYAudio member.

Real problem is getting it in with large quantity like 250+ with each weighing 40 grams and calculate money involved into that. If everybody is buying semiconductors by their own then everybody spend more but simplifies task for all. But this could be avoided.

I am in for the heatsinks. My F5 build is catching dust for a long time. I want to make it play some music and heat my room during the coming winter!

Actually this could be last thing to be get in. Starting with PCB now. Parts will come in and after that metal, if not locally available. Anilva also shown interest into this. After I talk to those guys, I will update.

Can we split one big order into batches of 3 and get it shipped to 3 of us? This way, each of the package wont be too large and may avoid any problem.

Otherwise, each participating member should buy it individually. It will increase cost of overall project.

Thanks

If we could early responses then we could think how to get in. Need some more helping hands as me and Sachin got famous(?) into account book of Indian post Custom Dept. :p
Otherwise we miss few opportunities to save money.

I am willing to get one portion shipped to me. I think FETs are not an issue since we need 4n and 4p for two mono. So in total, we need to 48 (12*4) NFET and PFET each. The diodes, we need 24 of them per amplifier which turns out to be 288 (24*12) pieces. Getting this in one package can raise some concerns. So we can split each package into 16 NFET's, 16 PFETs and 96 diodes. Even this may be large, I am not sure.

Om/Sachin, what are you guys planning?

Thanks

If we could early responses then we could think how to get in. Need some more helping hands as me and Sachin got famous(?) into account book of Indian post Custom Dept. :p
Otherwise we miss few opportunities to save money.

Let me mull over this for a day. Will let the group know if I am in or out by tomorrow.

@Sachin/Om: I will opt out of this one. I have too many things on my plate right now. I will complete the unfinished projects first and think of the next when my plate is empty.

Also, I have been re-thinking of the music setup that I would want to eventually own in the longer term, and somehow, the F5 V2 or even V3 which I lusted after, doesn't seem to fit in well with what I - hopefully and God willing - will have some day. I do understand that I am missing out on a once-in-a-lifetime DIY opportunity but I am positive something equally nice or nicer will come up on this wonderful forum.

Please voice your concerns on below listed members name and costs as well.

If you agree then we need to collect token money for go ahead because this involves large amount than anyone of us would like to invest.

Copying last list from Sachin' post.

PCB Set (2XAmp + 2X Filter + 1 Rectifier): (c/o Sachin) Approx cost Rs 3000/ea
1.CaptRajesh
2.Omishra
3.Cmsajith,(2 sets)
4.Santosh
5.Sachin
6.Kroy
7.Bhaskar
8.Baswamin
9.Anilva
10.Sann

[Please don't take this as promise but I am on lookout for wire terminals and PCB connectors. If get good bargain I will try to include 50 male-female terminal pins with this, fingers crossed]

Matched Fairchild MOSFETs 2X (2p,2n)+MUR diodes(24) (c/o Captrajesh - Sachin told about his conversation)
This will be bought from DIYAudio US member. apprx cost Rs 4500/ea, refer kroyin's post for cost.

1.CaptRajesh
2.Omishra
3.Cmsajith,(2 sets?)
4.Sachin
5.Bhaskar
6.Baswamin
7.Anilva
8.Sann
kroy and santosh, please confirm if you already have.

Amp board: element 14 + matched Toshiba JFETs for stereo (c/o Sachin ??)
Sachin please confirm if you can do it?
Approx cost (3000 + 1200)/ea with 4XNTC (4.7K?) + 4Xpresets (5K?) will be locally procured.

1.CaptRajesh
2.Omishra
3.Cmsajith,(2 sets?)
4.Sachin
5.Bhaskar
6.Baswamin
7.Anilva
8.Sann

Remaining PS caps and misc items will be as per your own taste or locally available Nippon Chemicon.

Regards,

Last edited:
Thanks. I will take advantage of all the 3 sets. I will send money as required to a nominee. Need confirmation of how much to whom.

Cheers.

PS. The right MOSFETs for F5T is Fairchild ones and not IR MOSFETs. In case IR is being planned, please count me out for the MOSFET part.

Last edited:
Thanks. I will take advantage of all the 3 sets. I will send money as required to a nominee. Need confirmation of how much to whom.

Cheers.

PS. The right MOSFETs for F5T is Fairchild ones and not IR MOSFETs. In case IR is being planned, please count me out for the MOSFET part.

Thanks Anil,
We are buying Fairchild from DIY Audio.I will post the required amount here.

Regards,
Sachin

Om,

I will go with all the 3 items. Can you list what other misc items we need to procure along with PS caps? Are you talking about transformer and cabs?

Regarding the transformer, you mentioned toroid earlier in the thread, cant we go with R-core itself? Is there a issue in using R-core with this amp?

Thanks

Om,

I will go with all the 3 items. Can you list what other misc items we need to procure along with PS caps? Are you talking about transformer and cabs?

Regarding the transformer, you mentioned toroid earlier in the thread, cant we go with R-core itself? Is there a issue in using R-core with this amp?

Thanks

Hi,
I think Om forgot to mention trafo.We'll need 2 X 300VA Toroidal transformers.I have found the best price here Toroidal Transformers, Toroidal Power Transformers, Toroidal Current Transformers, Torotrans, Transformers, Pune, india (Rs1500 approx).Few members Kroy,Audiodoc and Omishra has already bought trafo from them.They are of very good quality.
R-core will not be required in Power amps of this size.Torodial would be enough.

Regards,
Sachin

I am interested, just need to understand clearly,before I jump on board, what is the total outlay for the amp:

1. Components:
2Trafo
3.Hardware
4.Encl(I will cost this)
5. Heatsinks

Is anything left out?

Also is the build a dual mono or mono?

George

I am interested, just need to understand clearly,before I jump on board, what is the total outlay for the amp:

1. Components:
2Trafo
3.Hardware
4.Encl(I will cost this)
5. Heatsinks

Is anything left out?

Also is the build a dual mono or mono?

George
Here we are initiating with stereo configuration of 2 mono blocks.
PCB boards:
2x mono amp,
2x PS filters, 1 per mono block
1 rectifier for 2x2 secondaries, will cater for 2 filter board of 2 mono
Parts:
2x mono amp complete /w Fairchild Matched MOSFets, Toshiba JFETs, MUR diodes and element 14 parts.
1x PS rectifier MUR diodes only, other parts not included & can be locally - metalized box type polyester caps 5mm lead spacing
[2x PS filters - nothing all parts can be locally procured - power caps, resistors and polyester caps.]

Remaining items (not included here)-
2 X Transformers [ 24-0,24-0,300VA]
2 X heatsinks
chassis for dual mono/ stereo
Optional soft start if not using provided 10 ohm NTC
Optional speaker protection if you feel uncomfortable with DC Amp
Rocker switch, 20mm fuse holder, IEC socket, 2xRCA, 2xbinding Post pairs, indicator LEDs, internal wire etc
2 X 35A rectifiers for connecting PGND of two filter grounds and earth ground together in lifted ground configuration

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back